Profile for James Tunnell > Reviews

Content by James Tunnell

James Tunnell "jtunnell1987" (NE England)

The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work
The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work
by Alain de Botton

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent however not his best., 2 May 2009
I've read all of de Botton's published work and many of his books can leave you wanting still. I eagerly awaited the release of this one thinking that it would blow me away the same way Consolations of Philosophy or Status Anciety did, however I quickly found myself becoming disappointed.
Rather than examine the reader or society as a whole, de Botton takes various occupations and work places and rips them apart, exposing the innards for us all to see and read. Many of them, such as shipping and distrubution were not exactly my favourite and I found myself putting the book down - a first for a de Botton!
However there are some interesting points made throughout. His time with a therapist helps us to realise that we are often stuck in jobs that were given to us at a time when we never really knew what we wanted from life or what was offered so we stick to these. I found myself having an entirely new work ethic after reading that particular chapter. You learn to appreciate the beauty in little things around you which is a trait common in all his books.

Apple iPod 20GB with Click Wheel - 4th Generation [M9282B/A]
Apple iPod 20GB with Click Wheel - 4th Generation [M9282B/A]

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but.., 14 Feb. 2005
The Ipod I bought was excellent, however I am still unsure whether or not it was worth the £207, since there are so many other mp3 players out there, with as much capacity which are far cheaper.
Good things include: Nice colour, Stainless steel back, white earbuds, light up screen, scroll button, play games/view songs whilst listening to songs/pull out the earbuds and it auto pauses (wahey!).
But, the bad points: With it being white it gets dirty very quickly (and me as an art student, it gets dirty quite a bit). The stainless steel back scratches very easily - I think Apple were having an off day when they thought about the colours. The battery DOES NOT last the stated time. And I frequently get errors where I have to re-start the ipod (Though that bit is easy), it shouldn't crash all the time considering the price! It is also heavier than I thought it would be, though to be honest it is about the weight stated.
What is good is the transfer rate, but I have never had an mp3 player before so I couldn't say if that is average.
I would recommend this if you are after something which looks good, lightweight(ish) and is easy to use then this is for you, otherwise get a Zen!