Profile for B.B. Kowalski > Reviews

B.B. Kowalski

French Revolution: History
French Revolution: History

1.0 out of 5 stars You have got to be joking, 16 Jan. 2012
This was a disappointment to say the least. Although I wasn't expecting much for 77p, I was expecting a bit more than just over 3 pages of text!

The Bloody Meadow
The Bloody Meadow

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent suspenseful writing with good sense of place and time, 30 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Bloody Meadow (Kindle Edition)
This is the second book featuring the protagonist and I bought it the moment I had finished the first book "The Holy Thief", having become intrigued by the central character Korolev. The author brilliantly conveys the confusing and threatening atmosphere of the pre-war Soviet Union and the various strategies individuals use in order to survive. The protagonist, a militia man trying to solve a murder and keep out of the way of the Chekists (early KGB), is no two dimensional hero but a man doing his best to survive and maintain his integrity. An excellent thriller set in a intriguing time and well written. I can only hope that there will be more to come.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2012 10:30 PM GMT

The French Don't Diet Plan: 10 Simple Steps to Stay Thin for Life
The French Don't Diet Plan: 10 Simple Steps to Stay Thin for Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful aid to limiting your intake!, 28 July 2011
I'll start off by saying that I am trained in the biological sciences, I love food and I wanted to lose a bit of weight, not a huge amount, but just that last stubborn bit so I could go down a size to where I was a few years ago, well may be more than a few...I have a real problem when any diet is based on cutting something out: I could never cope with low fat, did better with low carb but I love bread and when the weight snuck back on I just couldn't bear the idea of cutting out potatoes, pasta, rice etc, especially since I cook for other people who had no desire or need to follow me down that particular path. Then I found this book at the local library and was so taken with the advice that I bought the kindle version. This is a sensible approach to simply eating less, with techniques that are based in neuroscience but are easily transferred to the real world.

Lidia's Family Table
Lidia's Family Table
by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome discovery, 28 July 2011
This review is from: Lidia's Family Table (Hardcover)
I'll start with a confession, which is that as a European I am not a fan of American cookbooks and recipes - all those measurements by volume! I cannot remember how I came to find out about this book, let alone order it, but I am glad I did. The recipes are interesting and slightly unusual, not the usual run of mill Italian food, but what I really enjoy are the technical tips and tricks that she explains, like toasting the tomato paste on the hot spot of the pan when making a pasta sauce. It's the kind of detail that I find a useful addition to my cooking skills. Oh and the recipes I have cooked have all been delicious. The book also includes a number of vegetable dishes both mains and side dishes, which are good as a way of including vegetables into your diet in a non boring way.

The Great Scandinavian Baking Book
The Great Scandinavian Baking Book
by Beatrice Ojakangas

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent book from this excellent author, 28 July 2011
To start with this is not a book for a novice cook, and by that I mean someone who never goes into the kitchen except under duress. It is not full of tweaked glossy pictures of food. But it is a great collection of mouth watering recipes for baked goods and all the ones I have tried have worked beautifully. This author knows her stuff and has written books on bread baking that are also great, full of practical tips.

Italian Country Cooking: The Secrets of Cucina Povera (Food and Mood)
Italian Country Cooking: The Secrets of Cucina Povera (Food and Mood)
by Loukie Werle

4.0 out of 5 stars More than pizza and bolognaise, 7 July 2007
I own a lot of cookbooks - 134 at last count and many of them about Italian cooking. This, the 134th, I bought recently on the spur of the moment and I am pleased that I did. As the title suggests it focuses on basic peasant cooking rather restaurant food and this comes as a welcome change. Lots of vegetable and pulse based dishes, good pasta dishes and some nice slow cooked meat dishes. There is a great dish of oven baked fish with lemon and oregano that has entered the family repertoire and my husband has discovered a previously unsuspected love for lemon biscotti. Good food, straighforward recipes, lovely pictures and enough interspersed travelogue and photos to make it an enjoyable read but not so much that it turns into a coffee table book. Definitely one for the bench top.

Ratcatcher (Matthew Hawkwood 1)
Ratcatcher (Matthew Hawkwood 1)
by James McGee

2.0 out of 5 stars Formulaic historical romp, 7 July 2007
I found this a rather disappointing book. I have a fondness for the historical detective novel and hoped that this would be new series to enjoy. However, as another reviewer has noted the detective part of it is quite slim and it is more of a historical adventure novel, with the typical dashing hero with brooding past and mysterious dark eyed beauties. A good historical novel, whether detective or otherwise, should incorporate historical facts into the narrative without you noticing too much. Here I felt that I had wandered into a documentary with a rather irritating voice-over. If you are looking for a historical novel with thrilling adventure then try the Flashman series - even if the 'hero' is less than perfect...