Profile for S. Weston > Reviews

Dvd ~ Russell Brand
Offered by The Happy Zombie
Price: 3.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Good On Him, 7 Dec 2012
I reckon it is difficult to adapt your material for an American audience and I think Brand did it excellently. In the back of a comedians mind there must be the thought of that whole 'cracking America' ideology that purveys our telly whenever our most successful comics or musicians decide to try America and I think Russell did his thing and did it with his customary flamboyance.

The material wasn't new to me, but I just wanted to see him do well and he did - so well done Russ.. keep up the good work.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
by George R. R. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars This series slays all others, 9 Sep 2011
A Game of Thrones is an introduction into probably the most compelling world of fantasy since...well it is the most compelling world of fantasy. I like to think I love fantasy novels, but I can sometimes get a little frustrated with how unrealistic they are if that makes any sense? I just think that sometimes good guys can be a little unbeatable, bad guys are evil and very powerful and you get your wizards, dragons, elves, dwarfs and gods and blah blah blah! there's a quest, a prophesy, a magic ring or sword - it's all very formulaic and tired - predictable, basically. Fantasy has had it's Tolkien time now and it's quite frankly childish D&D era 'I bring forth a lightning storm, I bring forth a lightning storm' I could name names, but that isn't what this review is about.

A Game of Thrones quite simply reinvents what fantasy should be and makes it better. You couldn't possibly know what is going to happen, the author knows what you expect and deliberately goes in another, more unexpected, direction - like life. The way GRRM writes makes his world believable because it isn't patronising you or giving you what you want, it is giving you what you don't want and that is, funnily, what makes it so refreshing.

I read everything and any genre and it is perhaps some testament that after reading this and the subsequent 4 novels (which get better and better I might add) it makes reading anything else just seem...not so good.

If Carlsburg did fantasy novels...well, you get the picture.

Anuvahood [DVD] [2011]
Anuvahood [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Adam Deacon
Offered by b68solutions
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of people won't get it - but who cares., 25 Aug 2011
This review is from: Anuvahood [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
This film is a surprisingly realistic depiction of inner-city gang culture, but more than that, the London stoner culture as well. Coming from London myself I understand all of the slang in this movie and for the time I watched it (August 2011) the slang was surprisingly up-to-date (as London slang practically changes on a weekly basis).

If you are of a certain era you will most probably hate this movie and I fully understand why some people gave it 1 star. I find the 'youth of today' extremely irritating, but, this movie lampoons that rather well and will have you literally busting with laughter - if you can understand a word they are saying that is.

For me, the character of Tyrone is brilliant. His dialogue is sharp and his over exaggerated swagger just reminds me of no one and everyone on 'da street' if that makes any sense? Kenneth, the lead character is also brilliantly written - a true 'wasteman' in the truest sense of the word, but you end up liking him anyway.

Watch out for the scene where Tyrone 'jacks' Kenneth's little posse - brilliant.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Product 5* Failures 1*, 23 Aug 2011
I read the 1* reviews and the 5* reviews and I could not possibly put the Kindle in the 1* because let's face it, when it works, it's amazing. However, I have had 3 Kindles now...

I am only truly angry about one thing regarding the Kindle and that is the first one broke for no reason. It literally just stopped working, froze, and crashed - complete write off. Some people, because of this reason, gave the Kindle a kneejerk 1*, but I won't do that because Amazon did immediately send me a new one which arrived within a couple of days and the product, when it works, is simply phenomenal. However, I am not looking forward to running out of my 1 year warranty and having the same problem where it just stops working...I may then be forced to downgrade this rating.

My 2nd Kindle, well, my brother sat on it - rather gently, but still - and broke it. I was fuming, but again Amazon were very understanding and sent me a new one, which this time arrived the following morning. A couple of problems I have encountered would be the delicateness of the product, the fact it can just stop working and now, with my 3rd Kindle, the charger isn't charging it up to 100% properly. I changed the wire (Kindle send a new one with every new Kindle) and it worked again, but now it isn't again - although it does get around to about 90%.

So you see, I couldn't give it 5* although when it works its around 10* and I couldn't give it 1* because Amazon have, so far, helped me replace the defect and the broken one so quickly.

This review was as honest as I could make it. Just a few things about how good it is when it works: there are thousands upon thousands of books on the excellent Amazon Store, which I get with my 3G from anywhere, the page turning is faultless, the reading options very accommodating (i.e. you can change the text size to suit your eyesight, flip the screen round completely, which is surprisingly useful if you want to read in bed with one hand) the battery life is good, but you may want to hold back on surfing the net as this depletes it more rapidly and it is just better at handling and actually reading then a book in bed - i.e. it isn't unwieldy in the slightest (I actually have some of the hardcopy George R.R. Martin books which run over 1000 pages, but with the Kindle I don't find myself shifting around restlessly holding it up for hours - if that makes any sense).

My advice: this is a definite 'must-have' for readers, but just beware that there are problems - it is by no means, as yet, the perfect product - but perhaps one day...

A Storm of Swords: Part 1 Steel and Snow (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3)
A Storm of Swords: Part 1 Steel and Snow (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3)
Price: 2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, staggering, amazing...yet grim., 20 Jun 2011
This series is amazing. However with this particular book I found the content hard to grapple with. It is like the author is intentionally throwing 'curve balls' (to use an American adage) just to show us that he is not afraid to kill anyone or anything. Characters that I felt could eventually go on to be facinating reads in the future just get wiped out.

On the upside of this however is that I truly do not know how GRRM is going to finish the series. Will my favourite characters survive? Will the 'good guys' even win?? You really can't tell and it is because of this reason that this series is better than most (if not all) of the fantasy I have ever read.

Things to look out for in aSoS: the emergence of the Red Viper of Dorne (a chillingly cool character), Jon Snow and Ghost (things really start developing here) and Jaime Lannister given a voice, which as some people have argued already, is a masterstroke - I agree.

Great continuation of a great series thus far. I was introduced to it late but I am not sorry - 5 stars!

Elfhunter: A Tale Of Alterra, The World That Is (Tales of Alterra, the World that Is. Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Price., 30 Mar 2011
If you are looking for some solid fantasy than look no further, the first of C. S. Marks' Alterra series is very good. Granted, it borrows HEAVILY from LotR BUT at least she says so in her foreword. However, there is still enough original material here allied with good writing so it really is a book apart.

I will be reading the next in the series, Fire-Heart, and I would recommend C. S. Marks to anyone in future. Good stuff.

Hostage
Hostage
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky Find, 31 Jan 2011
This review is from: Hostage (Kindle Edition)
I found this book on the stairs near where I live and because I had nothing better to do I read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lent it to my mum, she read it and also loved it.

This was all before the film with Bruce Willis.

Mars is an incredibly sinister character and the book has oodles of depth and action. I eventually went on the read all Robet Crais's novels and they are all brilliant but this is arguably the most complete.

I don't give five stars lightly either - read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2011 5:35 PM BST

Brisingr: Book Three (The Inheritance cycle)
Brisingr: Book Three (The Inheritance cycle)
Price: 3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Overly Padded Nonsense, 25 Jan 2011
Not an indictment on Paolini's series as a whole because Eragon & Eldest were very good indeed. Brisingr however should have been scrapped because it is bad, very bad.

I couldn't bring myself to give it a withering 1 star because there is worse stuff out there - some of the students from my creative writing class emulating Sylvia Plath for instance - but my finger was hovering over it!

The one example I will use is Roran fighting an entire battalion single-handed. It was such errant nonsense I nearly disregarded the series then and sadly it never really picked up enough momentum from that diabolical moment to make me think of this book as anything other than utter rubbish.

Paolini mate, there is no shame in scrapping a book if it doesn't make the grade. I would advise you to re-do this, smaller, and disregard the 1st Brisingr as a moment of madness before you carry on with anything else. Quality or quantity Paolini, quality over quantity.

The Stand
The Stand
Price: 4.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Phenomenal, 25 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Stand (Kindle Edition)
I consider The Stand the quintessential 5 star novel. Whenever I talk about my best reads with anyone The Stand is near if not the first thing on my tongue.

If you are daunted by its size don't be, once events start unfolding no other novel will grip you quite like this one - it truly is, in a bookish sense, a life changing creation.

If you haven't read it, buy it, you won't regret it.

The Hanging Shed (Douglas Brodie series)
The Hanging Shed (Douglas Brodie series)
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Rollicking Good Fun, 25 Jan 2011
Gritty stuff. The writing and research gone into The Hanging Shed is top notch, adding to that a solid story and the price and you have yourself a Kindle must have.

Being a tough marker I couldn't bring myself to give it 5 stars, that honour I would only give to something truly phenomenal (and let's face it - books like that do not come along often), but this is fantastic. Seriously, buy it.

Page: 1 | 2