Profile for Charlotte Harley > Reviews

Content by Charlotte Harley

Charlotte Harley (Plymouth, IN)

Page: 1 | 2
The Art of Hunting
The Art of Hunting
by Alan Campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah, lovely...., 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Art of Hunting (Hardcover)
One of my favorite authors, a bit hard to say he's not the best. Pure imagination running rampant, fascinating character creation, lots of different sorts of off-the-wall things going on, just wonderful. Can't be disappointed with a Campbell book, just can't. Most excellent.

The Twelve Children of Paris
The Twelve Children of Paris
by Tim Willocks

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book of 2013, 6 Jun 2013
When I read The Religion by Mr Willocks, I said it was the best book of the year. I repeat myself here-- this is the best book of THIS year. You live in this novel, you breathe it, you feel it. You are doing yourself a serious disservice if you do not read The Religion and then read this. Literary masterworks, indeed. I admire and honor this author. Sir, you have my deepest thanks for bringing such joy to my love of great novels.

The Last Page
The Last Page
by Anthony Huso

5.0 out of 5 stars American review, 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Last Page (Hardcover)
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
Best fantasy this year....READ THIS, September 26, 2010
By Charlotte Harley "Charli"

This review is from: The Last Page (Hardcover)
This book is the sleeper of the year. It definitely deserves more hype than it has received. Original, enthralling, there are not enough superlatives to cover it. This a triumph of creation and imagination and in my opinion far outshines the latest from popular fantasy authors. I loved everything about this book, absolutely everything. It is a game of words, a discovery of an entirely new vocabulary, the world-building, the "beasties", the characters, the locales, the architecture, all of it was magic to me. I thought the cover a disappointment however as it does not even hint at the eye-popping vast array of visuals contained inside, and many readers do indeed judge a book by its cover and therefore might not pick it up-- and it deserves to be picked up by HORDES of people. Other than that, this is the best book I've read this year, no question. Extreme appreciation, Mr. Huso, for the wonderful gift of your book.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy)
Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy)
by Laini Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST OF 2011, 12 Oct 2011
I have stacks of books that I call "keepers." I won't review the plot or anything because if you are reading this review by now you have a basic idea. But I will tell you that this is a compelling read, refreshing, totally exciting, and defines the words "can't put it down." Which is really all you want to know when you check out reviews on Amazon. This is the best book I've read, in this genre, for a very long time. But I think it transcends any genre and stands in a class by itself. Thank you Laini. This is definitely a keeper.

Monster Blood Tattoo 2: Lamplighter (Foundling Trilogy)
Monster Blood Tattoo 2: Lamplighter (Foundling Trilogy)
by D M Cornish

5.0 out of 5 stars You MUST take this journey...., 16 May 2008
These books are pure genius. I just received my British copy of this book but I already have the US copy as well as the advanced reading copy. I also have multiple copies of the first book. If you have not read these, PLEASE get them. They far exceed any expectations, enjoyment or delight I have experienced in anything I've read thus far this 2008. Even though they may be in the teen section or even the childrens' section, don't deny yourself this experience. They are big, beautiful, and absolutely stunningly written and illustrated. Mr. Cornish, I know that I emailed you when the first book came out and your website was rather young and I know that I had extreme compliments for you. I tried to email you today but I couldn't find a link. I can only hope that the Charlotte you acknowledge at the end of your book is ME. Well, let's just say it IS. As many times as I have handled these pages, each time....what a rush. This is truly what it means to experience the magic of the written word. The illustrations (also done by Mr. Cornish, major mind-boggling talent) and design of the book...well, believe me it's worth any 20+ other books you may buy this year.

Scar Night (Deepgate Codex)
Scar Night (Deepgate Codex)
by Alan Campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars TOTAL FASCINATION, 29 Nov 2006
Dark, surreal, gory, monsters, blood, guts, and oh so beautifully written--an absolute vision of fantasy that one rarely finds. I could SMELL the chained city, picture it vividly, I heard the sounds of it: this is the realism of this book. And yes, there are even touches of sarcastic humor that are a delight. No elves, no dragons--I guess the popular term would be urban fantasy. But to me, this one stands alone, in a class by itself. You MUST experience this book.

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
by George R. R. Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars You're going to buy it anyway, but..., 3 Nov 2005
I have to agree with the reader from California. Mr. Martin's prose is of course without peer. But I'm 200 pages in and nothing much is happening and it's been so long I can't keep track of what happened before but nothing is resolved I'm thinking. I agree this is a setup for the next book, and I will read this, but I'm having a tough time staying interested. There are so many people I either don't remember or they weren't in the other books much and frankly, I don't care about them, they are not the people I came to know from before. Anyway, you will buy this regardless of reviews, that's what we fans do right? I gave 3 stars for the writing and the absolutely phenomenal ability of Mr. Martin to track all p\of these people and places. You should also buy Paul Kearney's latest, The Mark of Ran. Excellent. And if some attractive English gent would write me and let me know how many more pages I have to go to get wrapped into A Feast for Crows that would be lovely.

The Mark Of Ran
The Mark Of Ran

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, I know I loved it but..., 2 Sep 2005
This review is from: The Mark Of Ran (Paperback)
Okay, here's the deal: I absolutely flipped over Paul Kearney's Monarchies of God series. When I saw he had this book out-- BAM, I ordered it, and my fingertips were tingling. I can tell you, in all complete honesty, that this book was great, I read it in like a day, and I immediately put it next to his other books I've reverently collected. However, I only have a very vague idea of what it's about. If someone shows me a book I've read I can immediately tell you whether I liked it or not. And I can also tell you if it was a MUST HAVE WOWZERS sort. And this one is definitely an MHW. I'm not stupid, I just read so much that I can't possibly remember plotlines and such, just whether it's good or not. Besides, reviewers can rehash the plot and the characters and all that but what's the point? All you really want to know is: should I spend the money? Open your wallet on this one...

The Heretic Kings: Monarchies Of The Gods Book 2: Heretic Kings: Monarchies of God II

5.0 out of 5 stars Find this series!, 14 May 2001
Do yourself a favor and find all the books in this series. I am an avid fantasy reader and this series is still one of my all-time favorites. I'm currently reading them all again because Book 5 is due out in August. I can't recommend them more highly.

The Iron Wars: Iron Wars:Monarchies of God 3
The Iron Wars: Iron Wars:Monarchies of God 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful series...get them all, 14 May 2001
I have now begun reading this series once again in preparation for Book 5 which is due out in August 2001. I cannot recommend this series more highly, it holds you bound until the last page. A variety of flawed characters and a wide array of monsters, both human and otherwise, make for true fascination. The first books may be hard to find, but you simply must hunt them down. What a journey....

Page: 1 | 2