Profile for L/A/Shelley > Reviews

Content by L/A/Shelley

L/A/Shelley (uk)

Page: 1 | 2
Original Invero®Branded Amazon Kindle UK 3 Pin Mains / Wall Charger Cable Lead with Charging LED (Kindle, Kindle Touch, Touch 3G, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD / 3G, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 3 / 3G, Kindle Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display)
Offered by technoplay ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on!!, 29 Dec. 2012
Great item for a great price. Can't go wrong with this. Having been pretty annoyed with not having a charger come with the Kindle Fire(tut..tut Amazon), I didn't really want to plug it in to my netbook to charge it,seeing as I actually bought the Kindle to replace said netbook. So I was very pleased to see this, and even more pleased when it turned up sooner than expected.Perfect!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, and great taste (even with just water)., 24 July 2012
I generally spend a reasonable amount of time at the gym, mostly cardio, and I needed a good whey protein shake that would last and actually tasted nice, bearing in mind I would be having 2 per day. After being royally ripped off by Holland & Barrett(£35 for only 900grams), I finally found this one.Two kilograms for £16.99! Can't beat that, and the taste is really nice(chocolate), I've had it with milk and water and to be honest, you can just have it with water, it's still fine, whereas some shakes are pure evil when used without milk.
I couldn't tell you about the science, but I know that I actually lost weight over a period of ten days whilst nursing a back injury and being unable to visit the gym,but had 2 shakes a day, basically stuffing my face with protein(obviously combined with a healthy diet as well). It stops the hunger pangs,which is essential for a snack addict like myself. I'm a slim guy who's shifting the belly flab, not someone who is trying to bulk up,so if you want something to help recovery and fill you up, this is the one.

Sunset Park
Sunset Park
by Paul Auster

2.0 out of 5 stars We need to talk about Paul..., 15 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Sunset Park (Paperback)
I read an interview with Paul Auster shortly after the release of Sunset Park,and he intimated that maybe writing wasn't as important to him as it use to be,and that he didn't know if he would write anymore.This book for me highlights that attitude.I found this slow,dull and ultimately pointless.The characters were very two dimensional and I just didn't care about any of it.It seems as though he just chucked in a couple of life changing events that shaped the protaganists life and filled in the gaps.It was almost like reading someone trying to copy Auster. I loved "Invisible", I though that was typical Auster class.But this left me feeling let down and a bit pissed off to be honest.Lazy.I hope his best years aren't behind him.Come on Paul give us something worthy of your name.
Having said all that,I'd imagine people new to Auster may find this ok,fair enough, but if you're one of them, do me a favour and pick up New York Trilogy and compare.There is no comparison.It's two different writers.One full of ideas, the other who can't be bothered anymore.

Vivitar Vivicam 8027 8.1 Megapixel Digital Camera - Silver & Black (8MP, 3x Optical 8x Digital, 2.4" Screen, Movie Mode)

4.0 out of 5 stars Retro....and a viewfinder!, 16 Feb. 2011
Unlike the other reviewer I had no problems with mine,after a full charge up it was ready to go. If you like a viewfinder on your camera and you want it to look good...well, this is the one.And the price is too good to pass up.

All Killer
All Killer

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 29 Nov. 2010
This review is from: All Killer (Audio CD)
I kind of understand the other reviewers gripe about the lack of an inventive mix by Mr Killer,but only 3 stars! No chance, as the title suggests it is "All Killer",a superb collection of tracks.I personally couldn't give a monkeys about the mix,I'd rather it was kept simple...just give me an endless stream of funky exploratory weirdness if you don't mind.

Quality USB Optical Scroll Wheel Mouse O/P 800/1600DPI
Quality USB Optical Scroll Wheel Mouse O/P 800/1600DPI
Offered by Bsyexcellent-UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Why the 4 & 5 star reviews?, 28 Oct. 2010
I cannot understand the good reviews for this shamefully bad product.I (like a fool) paid attention to the ratings, and paid the price,albeit a small one.This has to be the worst product I've ever purchased!...Avoid at all costs!

Americana (Penguin Modern Classics)
Americana (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Don DeLillo

5.0 out of 5 stars I love words!, 30 Sept. 2010
I can see why some of the reviews have less than I think are the required 5 stars for this book. It is awash with word wonder. Fantastic rolling prose, odd segments of remembrance and brilliantly crafted dialogue. I suppose if you are thinking it's going to be a straight forward novel, and that's what you know and love, then you may find this a bit strange. I've only read one other of his books(Libra) before this, and that too I thought was superb, with a very poetic, individual style,so to find this title having even more of that feeling of literary hypnotism, I was blown away. I love Bret Easton Ellis, and Kerouac, so this was simply awesome as far as I'm concerned.One of my all time favourites.If you have to have neatly tied up slightly melancholic novels of redemption, or coming of age, you'll probably hate it, but having said that...give a go anyway.

Invisible
Invisible
by Paul Auster

4.0 out of 5 stars He's still got it!, 7 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Invisible (Paperback)
At least three of my all time favourite books have been written by Paul Auster, this isn't one of them but it still had me enthralled. There is something so simple about his stories, or rather "tales" I think is the word, he has that ability not to have to try and shock or add gimmicks to sell his work. I generally stay away from so called "best sellers",modern fiction and the like because they don't interest me. Paul Auster and William Gibson (so totally different), are the only contemporary writers I'm into and they both have a certain style and format which is generally faultless, 99% of the time if you pick up one of their books you are going to enjoy it.I wasn't so keen on Man in the Dark, but this is more like the Auster I know and love. I think some readers aren't content unless a story is neatly wrapped up and concluded to their satisfaction,which is a shame because they're missing the whole point of Paul Austers style.To be fair I really think you've got to be into him(and the art of the the novel in general) to understand this book.I'm looking forward to Sunset Park.

Now Wait For Last Year (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Now Wait For Last Year (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Philip K. Dick

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoozah! For Dr Phil, 6 Sept. 2010
Well I have to admit that I'm a massive Philip K Dick fan, but some of his books(only a few mind),have left me thinking, "That could've have been so much better".This was one of the times where I rejoiced at having found his books in the first place.I don't read much sci-fi, a bit of Ballard, but that's about it, but I have to say that Dick's ideas are superb and this book highlights his imagination perfectly, it's what he's all about.Great characters,good prose and such a fantastic concept. If your'e new to Phil, then this is a good representation of his best moments. Loved it!

The City & The City
The City & The City
by China Miéville

3.0 out of 5 stars I judged the book by it's cover...oops!, 6 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The City & The City (Paperback)
I agree with another reviewer, this could have been a really complex noir-like thriller with twist and turns, but I was actually a bit disappointed. Sure it has an interesting idea, although a rather typical one,based no doubt on the ethnicity in eastern Europe.But it kind of leads you on and then promptly dumps the good,rather mysterious idea in favour of a crass geopolitical one.I found that a bit flat to be honest,and then he does something which I hate in books...he raced towards the end as though he couldn't wait to get it over with.Of course you get this with all thrillers,that's the whole structural point, but with this book, none of it seems to matter,the story has lost it's lustre.Nevermind.

Page: 1 | 2