Profile for Bill Lawrence > Reviews

Content by Bill Lawrence

Bill Lawrence (Halifax, UK)

Escalator Over the Hill - A Chronotransduction By Carla Bley and Paul Haines
Escalator Over the Hill - A Chronotransduction By Carla Bley and Paul Haines
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 15 Sep 2013
Probably Carla Bley's finest work. Not to everyone's taste, but I bought the vinyl second hand many years ago and played it a lot. I thought it was time to re-acquaint myself with this triple LP. My memory did not betray me. A great work, with an excellent array of great jazz musicians.

ONKYO HT-S3305B 5.1 Home Cinema AV Receiver and Speaker System
ONKYO HT-S3305B 5.1 Home Cinema AV Receiver and Speaker System

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, 7 Sep 2013
I thought hard about what to buy and read a lot of reviews. Having already bought an Onkyo CD player and given the reviews, I went for this. A very satisfying choice. Sound reproduction is great and the information had set is spot on. I really enjoy using it and the quality of DVD and Blu Ray playback is excellent. If I have a criticism, it is the choice of sound options. They are easy to select but there are so many and it has taken me some time to arrive at the setup that suits me best. But that's the downside of choice. All in all a very well priced piece of kit that does what I want really well.

Sunflower (CTI Records 40th Anniversary Edition - Original recording remastered)
Price: 4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A teenage desire, 11 July 2013
I spent weeks deliberating whether to buy this on vinyl when it came out and with my meagre pocket money I didn't. I wish I had. It is far better than a lot of the stuff I was buying at the time. It sounds a little dated now and of its time, but if you go with it, it is a joy. Sometimes the MJQ just got a little too samey for me, but this has a lot going for it, a great band with Milt Jackson working with the next two generations of jazz musicians and great recording from Rudy Van Gelder. I wish I'd bought that vinyl with the glorious cover. Ah well. Life's missed opportunities.

The new wave: Critical landmarks (Cinema one series,5)
The new wave: Critical landmarks (Cinema one series,5)
by Peter Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, 11 Jun 2013
Delivered on time and the copy was better condition than I expected. So very pleased and it completes my collection of all of the Cinema One series of books - nearly 40 years in the collecting.

A Million Stories
A Million Stories
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 27 Jun 2012
This review is from: A Million Stories (MP3 Download)
This is the most amazing piece of constructed soundscape composition I have heard. I bought it because it was so cheap and I was interested in experimenting with new composers. Sara Ayers is extraordinary and A Million Stories captivates with snatches of speech, dialogue and gossip. The swirling sound, rising and falling, the dynamics ever changing, it captivates and entrances for its whole sequence. Arguably too short, it is a loss when it ends. Pure magic. For this price it is worth the chance of finding treasure.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2014 8:33 PM BST

My Friend Footy: A Memoir of Paul Foot
My Friend Footy: A Memoir of Paul Foot
by Richard Ingrams
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine tribute, 2 July 2011
Friends from childhood, Richard Ingrams delivers a fine tribute to Paul Foot, one of the great journalists. Not only that but a quick overview of some of the key cases that faced Private Eye and its legal battles with the powerful. Paul Foot was a member of the Socialist Workers Party until the day he died , just something that Ingrams notes with an eye-brow raised. This is not a political book. It is a memoir of a friendship between two men on the same journey though life. It is touching, funny and ultimately a brief and joyous celebration of a life. It made a long train journey home fly by.

The Oxford Murders
The Oxford Murders
by Guillermo Martinez
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Pattern on Book Cover, 7 May 2007
This review is from: The Oxford Murders (Paperback)
I enjoyed the book, always been an admirer of Gödel's work. However, I do agree that it is a bit thin on all the elements that create a good crime book. Also a bit dubious about the translation of the mathematics. They mostly discuss sequences not series. The pattern on the cover of the book that Roderick White (below) mentions represents the tiles used in the Pythagorean proof of the famous theorem we all learnt at school - the square shown being the square on the hypoteneuse. Re-arrange the tiles and get the squares of the other two sides.