Profile for Furthur > Reviews

Content by Furthur

Furthur "ah hum" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Perfect Blues Collection Box Set
The Perfect Blues Collection Box Set
Price: 27.36

3.0 out of 5 stars Full Title Track Listing, 1 July 2011
Shame on Amazon who now seem to not bother inclusing full track listings for music not also available for downloads. They are thus doing a great dis-service to their own cause. I trawled the internet for 20 minutes before finally finding the full cd/track listing of this great box set thanks to [...] - hope this will help you make your decision to purchase or not :

CD 1) Bessie Smith / The Bessie Smith Story Vol. 1 (1951)
1.St. Louis Blues
9.Nashville Woman's Blues
10.Jail-house Blues
11.Ticket Agent, Ease Your Window Down
12.Down Hearted Blues

CD 2) Big Bill Broonzy / Big Bill Blues (1954)
1.Big Bill Blues
2.Hey Hey Baby
3.Feelin' Low Down
4.House Rent Stomp
5.Make My Gataway
6.John Henry (alternate Take.
7.Feelin Low Down (alternate Take.
8.Black Brown & White

9.Crazy Lips
10.Any Hour
11.Hey Operator
12.That's A Lot Of Brass

CD 4) Mahalia Jackson / Live At Newport 1958 (1958)
1.Intro
12.Walk Over God's Heaven
13.Joshua Fit The Battle Of Jericho
14.Jesus Met The Woman At The Well
15.His Eye Is On The Sparrow

CD 5) Chuck Willis / Wails The Blues (1958)
1.My Story
2.I Feel So Bad
3.Your're Still My Baby
4.Lawdy Miss Mary
5.Need One More Chance
6.Caldonia (what Makes Your Big Head So Hard?.
7.Don't Deceive Me
8.One More Break
9.I Can Tell
10.Search My Heart
11.Love-struck
12.Charged With Cheating

CD 6) Elvis Presley / Elvis Presley For Lp Fans Only (1959)
1.That's All Right
7.I Was The One
8.Shake, Rattle And Roll
9.I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone
10.You're A Heartbreaker

CD 7) Jimmy Witherspoon / In Person (1961)
1.I'll Always Be In Love
2.Gee, Baby Ain't I Good To You
3.See See Rider
4.I Make A Lot Of Money
5.Blowin' The Blues
6.Tain't Nobody's Business
7.Everything You Do Is Wrong
8.Roll 'em Pete

CD 8) Robert Johnson / King Of The Delta Blues Singers (1961)
1.Cross Road Blues
2.Terraplane Blues
3.Come On In My Kitchen
4.Walkin' Blues
5.Last Fair Deal Gone Down
6.-20 Blues
7.Kind Hearted Woman Blues
8.If I Had Possession Over Judgement Day
9.Preachin' Blues (up Jumped The Devil.
10.When You Got A Good Friend
11.Ramblin' On My Mind
12.Stones In My Passway
13.Traveling Riverside Blues
14.Milkcow's Calf Blues
15.Me And The Devil Blues

CD 9) Sonny Boy Williamson And Memphis Slim (1963)
1.The Skies Are Crying
2.Your Funeral And My Trail
3.Explain Yourself To Me
4.Nine Bellow Zero
5.Fattening Frogs For Snakes
6.My One Room Cabin
7.Getting Out Of Town

CD 10) Aretha Franklin / Unforgettable - A Tribute To Dinah Washington (1964)
1.Unforgettable
8.This Bitter Earth
9.If I Should Lose You
10.Soulville
11.Lee Cross

CD 11) Son House / Father Of Folk Blues (1965)
1.Death Letter Blues
6.Preachin' Blues
7.Grinnin' In Your Face
8.Sundown
9.Levee Camp Moan

CD 12) Johnny "guitar" Watson & Larry Williams / Two For The Price Of One (1967)
1.Two For The Price Of One
17.Skate Key
18.Summertime
19.Makin' Whoopee
20.Ain't Misbehavin'

CD 13) Champion Jack Dupree / Anthologie Du Blues Vol. 1 (1968)
1.The Tricks
8.My Next Door Neib
9.I Had A Dream
10.Goin' To Paris
11.I'm Tired Of Moanin'

CD 14) Otis Span / The Biggest Things Since Colossus (1969)
1.My Love Depends On You
2.Walkin'
3.It Was A Big Thing
4.Temperature Is Rising (100.2f.
5.Dig You
6.No More Doggin'
7.Ain't Nobody's Business
8.She Needs Some Loving
9.I Need Some Air
10.Someday Baby

CD 15) Johnny Winter / Johnny Winter (1969)
1.I'm Yours And I'm Hers
9.Back Door Friend
10.Country Girl
11.Dallas
12.Two Steps From The Blues

CD 16) Percy Mayfield / Sings Percy Mayfield (1970)
1.Yes, You'll Play
2.Live Today Like The Day Before
3.The Highway's Like A Woman
4.Painful Party
5.You Wear Your Hair Too Long
6.To Live The Past
7.My Friend
8.A Lying Woman (not Trustworthy.
9.To Claim It's Love
10.My Error
11.The Country

CD 17) The Johnny Otis Show / Live At Monterey! (1970)
1.Willie And The Hand Jive
16.You Better Look Out
17.Goin' Back To L.a.
18.Plastic Man
19.Boogie Woogie Bye Bye

CD 18) Willie Dixon / I Am The Blues (1970)
1.Back Door Man
6.You Shook Me
7.I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man
8.The Little Red Rooster
9.The Same Thing

CD 19) Hubert Sumlin & His Friends / Kings Of Chicago Blues (1971)
1.Blues For Elmore James
8.Straight Talk
9.Little By Little
10.When Evelyn's Not Around
11.It Hurts Me Too

CD 20) Taj Mahal / The Real Thing (1972)
1.Fishin' Blues
2.Ain't Gwine To Whistle Dixie (any Mo'.
3.Sweet Mama Janisse
4.Going Up To The Country And Paint My Mailbox Blue
5.Big Kneed Gal
6.You're Going To Need Somebody On Your Bond
7.Tom And Sally Drake
8.Diving Duck Blues
9.John, Ain't It Hard
10.She Caught The Katy And Left Me A Mule To Ride
11.You Ain't No Street Walker Mama, Honey But I Do Love The Way You Strut Your Stuff

CD 21) Muddy Waters / Hard Again (1977)
1.Mannish Boy
7.Deep Down In Florida
8.Crosseyed Cat
9.Little Girl
10.Walking Through The Park

CD 22) Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble / Texas Flood (1983)
1.Love Struck Baby
8.Dirty Pool
9.I'm Cryin'
10.Lenny
11.Srv Speaks
12.Tin Pan Alley (aka Roughest Place In Town.
13.Testify
14.Mary Had A Little Lamb
15.Wham!

CD 23) Keb' Mo' / Just Like You (1996)
1.That's Not Love
10.Standin' At The Station
11.Momma, Where's My Daddy
12.Last Fair Deal Gone Down
13.Lullaby Baby Blues

CD 24) Etta James / Life, Love & The Blues (1998)
1.Born Under A Bad Sign
2.I Want To Ta Ta You, Baby
3.Here I Am (come And Take Me.
4.Running Out Of Lies
5.Inner City Blues (make Me Wanna Holler.
6.Spoonful
7.Life, Love & The Blues
8.Hoochie Coochie Gal
9.Cheating In The Next Room
10.If You Want Me To Stay
11.The Love You Save May Be Your Own
12.I'll Take Care Of You

CD 25) Buddy Guy / Blues Singer (2003)
1.Hard Time Killing Floor
9.Bad Life Blues
10.Sally Mae
11.Anna Lee
12.Lonesome Home Blues
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2013 9:16 PM BST

Backdrop: THE VERY ESSENCE OF NORTHERN SOUL, CIRCA 1974
Backdrop: THE VERY ESSENCE OF NORTHERN SOUL, CIRCA 1974
Offered by petespick
Price: 16.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep the Faith, 28 April 2011
This cd was my very first northern soul buy (some 12 years ago) as someone who simply wanted to sample Northern Soul music after chancing across some glowing references to the genre in music mags or from bands/artists I liked.

So this comment is very much informed by the fact that I have never experienced the golden (or any other for that matter) age of Northern Soul all nighters and therefore am nowhere near a specialist. I am however a long term music lover, occasional "bedroom" dj and avid dancer.

With hindsight, and many more northern soul collections since, this really was a lucky buy. First of all it got me hooked thanks to a consistent selection with quite a few stand-out tracks. I later discovered many longer compilations that would only harbour 1 track that I'd like along 40 odd other tracks I did not. Simply because it seems to me there are many facets to northern soul, and quite frankly most of those facets I do not get/like. Had I bought something like Soul Allnighter: 60's Stompers & 70's Dancefloor Classics instead of Backdrop, there is no way I would have ever continued to explore this genre.

I now find I like a very small part of this wide genre, mainly the bass driven, beat-heavy stompers, more often than not those that are less Motown-inspired, and more heavy, usually violin-free, tunes. Note however that most backdrop tracks feature prominent violin use, but somehow most tracks still stand out very strong.

The beauty of this music for me however is after sifting through tons of tunes I may not like, I inevitably end up finding one absolute true gem (to my ears and tastes) that has little equivalent power in any other genre. This is what keeps me hooked.

Again, when comparing backdrop to all my other collections today, this is still the most consistent (not too many different styles) of all those I know. If like me you are a curious beginner I do warmly recommend this as a great introduction to the style.

Butches Brew
Butches Brew
Offered by FastMedia "Ships From USA"
Price: 36.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Funky Reggae Party, 26 Feb 2009
This review is from: Butches Brew (Audio CD)
At the crossorads of Reggae, Trip Hop, Dub, and Fun, this is a joyous album that manages to sound original and natural, non-contrived, non pretentious. Stand-out tracks like Cissy Strut or Brothers and Sisters never fail to please and be noticed. This is a perfect addition to anyone into those genres, but also anyone who likes real music. I sometimes wonder whether this minor gem may not be destined to future obscurity-cult-status...

Flight Of The Tempest
Flight Of The Tempest
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cinematographic Funkjazzsoulhip-hoppsychedlica, 25 Jan 2009
This review is from: Flight Of The Tempest (Audio CD)
This mostly instrumental gem of an album brings to mind those lost or hard-to-find library music pearls some music afficionados lust after.

Hailing from england in 2008 this modern album will deliver as much pleasure as the real thing, with generous helpings of hammond organ, awsome scratching, in a very natural sounding melting-pot of funk, jazz, blues, psychedelica, and even post-punk (The Present) that sounds quite unlike any conventional jazz/soul/funk. Instead this is impeccable musicianship that has fully absorbed all those varied influences and turned them into the perfect mix of a brand new brew.

Consistent from start to finish, no need to skip unwanted tracks, this is a rewarding listen, that will go down as finely played as cinematographic background music, as it will played very loud in your car or your MP3 player.

Presentan Hecho En Casa Part 1
Presentan Hecho En Casa Part 1
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 11.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Update of the Latin Genre, 14 Jan 2009
This is fresh and percussive a piece of serious sonic latin heat and sweat. Impeccable percussions throughout make this album all the more exciting and the deal maker here.

The broken Beat artists featured update a piece of the Latin Genre giving it a much needed edge without putting too heavy a broken-beat imprint on the tunes. Actually a couple of tracks are even unexpectedly "rootsy" making this a fresh and crisp albukm, but caliente where it needs to be.

Kill Your Friends
Kill Your Friends
by John Niven

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartless, 13 Aug 2008
This review is from: Kill Your Friends (Paperback)
Ha ha ha... I am still laughing at some parts of this excellent book. Also, it's subject matter's description (The Music Biz) is probably frighteningly true. Just a slight bit exagerated maybe though? I mean, can you really have a racist A&R man? That just does not make sense.

Apart from this, judging on how much crap music most majors do produce, this book could probably be used as a healthy warning to budding musicians, show them how little those guys actually care (or even know) about music. Was there not a recent article about the new big wig at one of those majors like EMI or some such, about how during his interview, he stated his favourite ever album was Nirvana's first album 'Nevermind', when it in fact was their second album. the guy got the job all the same.

This a very entertaining, well paced, well plotted, read. I won't fall for the American Psycho comparisons. One, because everytime someone wants to write about a self-obsessed murdering loser the parallel shoudl not be systematically drawn; two, because the anti-hero in this book is way more funny and fun to follow through than Bateman is, if only just because he does not work in boring banking.

Oh, incidentally, the book also gives well judged insights into office politics, and internal meetings strategy... if what you're into is indeed killing your friends....

Could this be turned into a good movie should be the next question? because it craves to be filmed. If so let's hope it will retain its great British/London flavour.

Death Of The Revolution
Death Of The Revolution
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 8.33

3.0 out of 5 stars Latin Carribean Chill, 7 Aug 2008
This review is from: Death Of The Revolution (Audio CD)
Quantic and his many delicious updates of the Funk idiom has made an eager fan of me a long time ago. Here he continues, as in his recent stunning "Tropidelico" offering, to explore what colombian influences he is being infused by whilst living there.

This time however there is no marked funk reworking, just a very chilled, very laid-back, Latin Reggae intrumentals affair which at first can strike as a good musical-background-easy-listening-coffee-table type of album.

But of course there is more to it than that, and it boasts fine musicianship, particularly in the last few tracks where the piano parts are a real listening pleasure. The two last tracks faultlessly conjure images of a sweaty mid day lazy Cartagena bar. Whilst this probably won't rate as his best ever album, it is surprisingly addictive, very consistent from beginning to end (that increasingly rarer breed of an album where you never need to skip one or more tracks you do no like), and a warmly welcome addition to anyone familiar to the delights and sheer variety of modern Colombian music (Sidestepper, Pernett, Batata, San Palenque, Mojarra Electrica, etc) and the older school (Discos Fuentes!).

As a matter of fact it is the slight Reggae tinge of the first few tracks which are a bit of a let down, and caused the 3 star rating to this review. As a long term Reggae fan, I always welcome anyone trying to mix it with other influences, but am not yet convinced this particular Cd was too successful at doing it. I hope though Mr Holland will continue to explore this avenue, and am convinced that if he does his next album will be way more exciting than this one.

In the meantime he probably did this on a simple, sweaty, relaxed, stretch of time in Cali, smoking a lot of colombian gold and enjoying himself with his friends, and thanks Pachamama for that, that simple pleasure clearly shows here.

MAKE NEW FRIENDS
MAKE NEW FRIENDS
Offered by MUSIC-4-THE-MASSES
Price: 12.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Educated Music, 28 July 2008
This review is from: MAKE NEW FRIENDS (Audio CD)
It's funny I have been a great fan of most Tru-Thoughts records for a while now, and Flevans had definitely gotten me as hooked as a crack addict on the awsome single 'The Notion' (an impossibly sexy and languid slab of the utmost dirty Funk), but this album was a bit of a let-down. Funnily enough though most people I will play the album to in the background will ask about it. I guess it is the clearly Moby-like samples and melodies on some of the tracks.

There are two very, very, strong numbers IMO in this cd (Get caribou and Small Room Syndrome) which make the purchase of it worthwile in themselves.

This said the guy obviously knows how to make varied (Jazz, Latin, gospel, Hip-Hop Fat Drums & Breaks, Soul, etc are all melted easily), and interesting, danceable but melodic music. Even the tracks I do not like that much have more going for them than most artists will ever dream to be able to make, and I am certain that Flevans will make stronger and stronger albums. A man to follow.

The Singer
The Singer
by Cathi Unsworth
Price: 6.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Read It Yourself, 26 July 2008
This review is from: The Singer (Paperback)
Who and why should you read this book?

Anyone with a healthy interest in Punk Rock and/or Post Punk - and/or music in general
Anyone with a love for London
Anyone who appreciates Romans Noirs (crime stories that go that extra deeper into exploring the motivations and social reasons behind the crime story, and also explore the real consequences on the vitims, on top of the usual detective crime solving).
Rock HEROES myth-making

BUT the above just does not do justice to this brilliant book. Ms. Unsworth had already put together a more than pleasant, original and interesting read in "The Not Knowing", her first offering, but with "The Singer" she really now has come into a fully fledged writer with attitude.

With a perfectly plotted story, the format is a risky but surprisingly addictive structure. Each chapter alternates between the 70/80s and the 00's and whilst you are always left wanting for more of each chapter's story, you immediately get hooked back into the next decade, eagerly continuing where you had been left last after just a few sentences.

All characters, particularly the female characters, have a genuine depth to them, and the music industry and Punk and Post-Punk period background are as convincing as a music journalist of Ms. Unsworth's credentials will have the reader expect.

If the devil is the details, in this case the brilliance is in the details, with locations such as Stoke newington, Camden, Portobello Road, Montmartre and Pigalle in Paris and Lisbon very rightfully described as the last western European outpost of real interest (I kep saying to everyone and their mums to go to Lisbon - I went there 7 times myself so far), giving a rich, current and sometimes historical coloured detail to the overall story.

This is a genuinely cracking read, with both depth and attitude aplenty. Thank you very much Ms. Unsworth and please come up with more.

The Dub Factor
The Dub Factor

5.0 out of 5 stars Dazed and Daring, 19 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Dub Factor (Audio CD)
I remember the first time I met someone else who also knew this album. That was about 20 years ago in France, and the bloke was a Punk bloke with the most extreme look and a pronounced taste for very hardcore music. For some reason he was at my place for a party and at some point I played this album. That certainly got his attention as he already knew and loved this album and we struck a lasting immediate friendship there and then.

I think this is the moct important thing about this album. It transcends the closed up Dub world to a larger experimental world of open minded people. The production is impeccable, and it certainly will twist your mind when you have smoked a few too many spliffs, but even now that I have not been smoking for so long I still love this album for how dazed and daring it is.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5