Profile for Mrs. M. Walsh > Reviews

Content by Mrs. M. Walsh

Mrs. M. Walsh "Maw." (Glasgow Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
60s Summer Sounds
60s Summer Sounds
Offered by the_record_factory

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent Sixtie's mix, 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: 60s Summer Sounds (Audio CD)
This is a two disc, 40 track "Sixtie's" release dated July, 2010. The label is listed under Commercial Marketing, whatever that means, so if the recordings are original, with original artists, it is not a bad compilation at all. The only stand out dud is the track "Ain't she sweet" by Tony Sheridan, probably backed by the early pre-famed Beatles. This release is on sale on Amazon, in new condition, at £46 odds, which beggars belief, but they also have few used copies of this release from £1 odds, and if I was going to buy this item, the used version would be my choice. The real dilemma here is the question, are the tracks original? If so, I would have no qualms buying a used copy of this item. There are enough good tracks here that would make this release a worthwhile purchase. Yours, Mrs. M Walsh. "Maw".

Honky Tonk Heroes
Honky Tonk Heroes
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars A good album, but not as good as "Dreaming My Dreams", 19 April 2013
This review is from: Honky Tonk Heroes (Audio CD)
This is a good album, and if your a Waylon Jennings fan you will probably have it in your collection. A lot of Waylon fans would say that this is his definative moment in country music, but I would differ from those holding this view, his "Dreaming My Dreams" album for me is still Waylon's finest moment. Whilst "Honky Tonk Heroes" might be the first outlaw type recording to be made, I still believe that "Dreaming My Dreams" is still the better and more accessible of the two albums. The one outstanding track for me on "Honky Tonk Heroes" is "Old Five and Dimers" with "You asked me to" a close second. On "Dreaming My Dreams" nearly every track is a winner, and the whole album just flows. Maybe it is the low key playing on the "Dreaming My Dreams" album that makes it seem to flow, I don't know, but of the two albums mentioned "Dreaming My Dreams" would always come first. If ever I am asked to recommend a Waylon Jennings album I always start with the "Dreaming My Dreams" cd and so far I have as yet to receive anything other than good feedback. At the end of the day, opinions and musical tastes differ, but for me if you want to hear the best of Waylon Jennings, start with "Dreaming My Dreams" Mrs. M Walsh. "Maw"

Only the Greatest
Only the Greatest
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not the greatest, but still worthwhile., 19 April 2013
This review is from: Only the Greatest (Audio CD)
This cd is a 2007 release on the Sony Bmg label, of a 1968 LP by Waylon Jennings, containing 12 tracks. The songs are : 1. "Only Daddy That'll Walk the Line" 2."California Sunshine" 3."Weakness in a Man" 4."Sorrow" (Breaks a good Man down) 5. "Christina" 6."Such a waste of Love" 7. "Walk on out of my Mind" 8. "Kentucky Woman" 9. "Long Gone" 10. "You'll think of me" 11."Wave goodbye to me" 12."Too far Gone". Whilst none of these songs would be classed as hit songs for Waylon, this is still three or four years before Waylon recorded his "Dreaming My Dreams" album, and he was still trying to find his niche in C&W music at this time. His years at RCA were not always easy, and the songs on this album would tend to verify that. There are no liner notes on this cd to inform you about the songs, the players, but it was probably produced by Chet Atkins, and it is still Waylon doing the best he can with the material on offer. It is not a greatest hits album, but still a very worthwhile effort, and Waylon is in fine voice. The standout tracks are probably "Only Daddy that'll Walk the line" and "Kentucky Woman" but my personal favourite track is "Christina" which is done in a sort of Tex-Mex swing thing, not unlike Don Gibson's "Sea of Heartbreak" song. This cd is still available on Amazon and if you are a fan of Waylon this is still a good buy at a reasonable price. I recommend it as such. Mrs. M Walsh. "Maw".

Beat Boom Classics
Beat Boom Classics
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars A trick or treat cd, 21 Mar 2013
This review is from: Beat Boom Classics (Audio CD)
This cd is a 2000 release on the "Hallmark" label with 15 tracks of sixties groups, and on this occasion I would tend to take a lead from the only other reviewer on the Amazon page, and be a bit cautious as regards this cd. A.Foss, the other reviewer is right about the recordings on this cd, they are possibly all re-recordings by the original groups in name, but with different line-ups, recorded years later. My problem is, that I like all of these groups, even though these are not original recordings, and I probably like the songs as well. If they are mostly re-recordings by the groups, with new line ups, I would forget about paying any price over a couple of pounds for this item, and I will opt for a used copy of this cd in VG condition from one of the eight sellers listed on the Amazon page. It is available from Amazon, at nearly £18 with super saver, (If you are a sandwich short of a picnic) but with a track listing of only 15 tracks I would imagine at a couple of pounds I would be willing to risk it, just to hear these groups and how they sound years later. I will probably buy this cd regardless. Mrs. M Walsh. "Maw".
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2013 3:22 AM BST

The Very Best Of Dolly Parton
The Very Best Of Dolly Parton

5.0 out of 5 stars Ticks all my boxes, 19 Mar 2013
I have just recently bought this cd for my little 12 yrs. old neice, who has just of late become enamoured with the voice of Dolly Parton, due to her hearing the song Jolene. I let her listen to one of my "Dolly" cds and she came back with a list of her favourite "Dolly" songs, so I sent away for this cd as it had every one of the songs on her list, and we have all been subjected to listening to this cd ever since. In fact she has entered into a talent contest at school and she will be singing "My coat of many colours" as her song of choice. So this cd was perfect for my little neice, and she is really over the moon with this cd. I bought this copy for her in a used format, in VG to excellent condition from Zoverstocks, a seller that I use a lot on Amazon, and for two pounds this cd is in wonderful condition. So I can recommend this cd to one and all as a very worthwhile purchase indeed as all of Dolly's best known hits are on it. Yours, Mrs. M Walsh. "Maw".

Ray Stevens Very Best of
Ray Stevens Very Best of

5.0 out of 5 stars Is what it says on front cover of the cd, 19 Mar 2013
I bought this cd a few years ago, it is a 1999 release on the Music Club label (EMI)? and according to two of the reviews it is either a 21 track, or 22 track cd. I do not have my copy at hand to verify which, but looking at the Ray Stevens page on Amazon today, I would say that it is still the best Ray Stevens cd on offer. A few of the previous reviewers have listed most of the songs on this cd, but only one has mentioned the track "Indian Love Call" the old Nelson Eddy and Slim Whitman song, that Ray recorded just before or after his recording of the song "Misty". This track was the reason for my buying this cd in the first place, and to release any Very Best of or Greatest Hits of Ray Stevens, without this track on it is a definate No No as far as I am concerned. Ray takes this song and makes it his own, and his version of this song is right up there along with the other definate version of this song, by Slim Whitman. Ray Stevens is probably remembered by most of the people in Britain for his novelty songs, for example Bridget the midget or The Streak, but he was much more than that, as some of the songs on this cd will confirm. Should anyone wish to investigate Ray's music this cd is as good as any place to start. I recommend this cd without hesitation. Mrs. M Walsh."Maw".

Rediscover The 70's & 80's - (Old Gold) (2CD)
Rediscover The 70's & 80's - (Old Gold) (2CD)
Offered by ajdiscs

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid little double cd set, 18 Mar 2013
This is a double cd set, on the Old Gold label, which has twelve tracks on each disc, from 1991. Tracks on Disc 1 are :1."W"Walk on the wild side" (Lou Reed)2."Witch Queen of New Orleans".(Redbone)3."Jeepster".(T Rex)4."Layla"(Derek and the Dominoes)5."You wear it well".(Rod Stewart)6."American Woman".(Guess Who)7."All the way from Memphis".(Mott the Hoople)8."The Wall St. Shuffle".(10 CC.)9."Radar Love".(Golden Earring)10. "How Long".(Ace)11."Play that funky music".(Wild Cherry)12. "Pick up the Pieces".(Average White Band).Disc 2.: "Glass of Champagne".(Sailor)2. "Hanging on the Telephone" (Blondie)3."Hold the Line".(Toto)4."More than a Feeling".(Boston) 5."Every day hurts".(Sad Cafe)6."Run for home".(Lindisfarne)7."Could'nt get it right".(Climax Blues Band)8."Philadelphia Freedom".(Elton John).9."Rockin' all over the world".(Status Quo)10."Black Betty".(Ram Jam).11."5-7-0-5".(City Boy).12."Going Underground" (The Jam). A bit of a mix you will agree, Pop,Rock,Soft rock, Blues, I bought this for tracks 2,9,11,on disc 1. and for tracks 4,5,7,10, on disc 2. I bought this item from Zoverstocks, a seller on the Amazon site,for under £2.50, in a very good condition, in a used format, and I am really delighted with this item, as I am trying to replace all my Old Gold collection on Vinyl and tape, and I regard this cd set as very worthwhile and at this price a bargain. For anyone looking for value for money as regards 60's and 70's music you could check out this seller on the Amazon site. Yours, Mrs. M Walsh. "Maw"

VARIOUS ARTISTS CD UK OLD GOLD 1988
VARIOUS ARTISTS CD UK OLD GOLD 1988
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little cd, 16 Mar 2013
The title of this cd on the Old Gold label is "Lets Dance" The sound of the Sixtie's Part 1 and it has 12 tracks which are; 1."The Wanderer" (Dion).2."Hats off to Larry".(Del Shannon).3."Hey Baby".(Bruce Channel).4."Picture of you".(Joe Brown).5."Poetry in Motion".(Johnny Tillitson).6."Johnny remember me".(John Leyton).7. "Lets dance".(Chris Montez).8."There's always something there to remind me".(Sandie Shaw)9."Twenty four hours from Tulsa".(Gene Pitney).10."Catch the Wind".(Donovan).11.You were on my Mind".(Crispian St. Peter)12."Yesterday Man".(Chris Andrews) Eleven of these tracks are in Mono, track 9. by Gene Pitney in stereo. I was given the original cassette of this release as a Xmas stocking filler, way back in the days of my youth, as I had just started getting in to sixties music at this time,and I was delighted to pick up this cd, in excellent condition from a seller on Amazon called "Zoverstocks" at an unbelievable price of a few pounds. My parents would have paid a lot more when buying me the original cassette than I paid for this cd a few weeks ago. There is not a dud track on this cd, all are substantial hits of their day, and I recommend this cd to any music lover of whatever age, be it twenty to sixty. Yours, Mrs. M Walsh. "Maw"
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2013 6:53 PM BST

VARIOUS CD UK OLD GOLD 1988
VARIOUS CD UK OLD GOLD 1988
Offered by susan50664

4.0 out of 5 stars Not essential but collectable, 16 Mar 2013
This cd is a 12 track release on the Old Gold label from 1988, which I bought recently as I am replacing old cassettes of this material that I already have. So far I have bought most of these cds in a used format, as new copies on cd can be scarce on the ground, and I have been extremely lucky as the cds bought have all been in great condition, and being quite old, they have all been bought at very reasonable prices. I will not print a track listing as one previous reviewer has already done so on the Amazon site, just to say that 11 of these tracks are all in mono, and that track 5 "I'm Gonna be strong". by Gene Pitney is the only track in stereo. I really like these Old Gold cds, as I have many old cassetes and records on vinyl of these originals, and I am trying to replace them with as many cds of this material that I can get, and so far Amazon seems to be the best place to do that. This cd is a worthwhile addition to my collection, and I recommend it to any 60's fan who may read this review. Yours, Mrs. M Walsh. "Maw"

Moody Blues, Kinks, Honeycombs, Turtles, Los Bravos, Easybeats..
Moody Blues, Kinks, Honeycombs, Turtles, Los Bravos, Easybeats..

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking little cd, 16 Mar 2013
This cd is a 1988 release on the Old Gold label with a 12 track song list. The title of this release is "Friday on my mind" The sounds of the 60's Part 2. Tracks are; 1."Go Now" (Moody Blues) 2."You really got me" (Kinks).3."Have I the right".(Honeycombs)4."She'd rather be with me".(Turtles)5."Black is Black".(Los Bravos)6."Death of a clown".(Dave Davies)7."Baby now that I've found you".(Foundations)8."Out of Time".(Chris Farlowe)9."Red Red Wine".(Jimmy James & the Vagabonds).10."Friday on my Mind".(Easybeats)11."Delta Lady".(Joe Cocker).12."To whom it concerns".(Chris Andrews) Most of the tracks are in Mono, Tracks 4,5,8,10,11. are in stereo. I bought this cd lately to replace an old cassette, from a seller "Zoverstocks" on the Amazon site, in a used format, cd is in excellent condition, and I am really delighted to have this release on cd at last. This cd only cost me a couple of pounds, and I can honestly recommend this release and the seller as both being excellent. Yours, Mrs. M Walsh. "Maw".

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14