Profile for Bradfordiansteph > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Cop Town
Cop Town

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope this is the first of more to come, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Cop Town (Kindle Edition)
NO SPOILERS

I'll be honest and say it took me a while to get into this book, I think maybe because it is an era that I don't understand, I'm English so there is a cultural difference as well as a historical one and also there are a huge cast of characters early on and I'm rubbish with names.

This said, it is a fantastic read, a writer I know once told me he doesn't always like books by female authors as they spend too much time pushing how hard it is for women. It is something I've though of a lot when reading and whilst I might agree with him sometimes as the oh poor woman has it tough thing is pushed, this is a book set in a time when women really did have to be better just to get equality and any level of acceptance in the workplace. The book does not show these women as flawless in anyway. They are as screwed up as anyone but in justifiable ways that I think most people will relate to.

The story rolls out beautifully with a proper ending (to please those who don't like the Z for Zachariah type cliffhanger endings that could go anywhere). The moment of peril ending had me skipping bits as there is just a bit too much detail, me having worked out the whodunnit bit but it was a mighty good moment of peril nonetheless.

The main characters are enjoyable and I hope that this is the first of a series featuring the girls in blue. If so I look forward to the next installment with baited breath.

The Necessary Death of Lewis Winter (The Glasgow Trilogy)
The Necessary Death of Lewis Winter (The Glasgow Trilogy)

3.0 out of 5 stars Just not my thing, 14 July 2014
NO SPOILERS

To be honest, I read the trilogy because everyone was banging on about it but it didn't really grip me. Not sure whether to say I think it would be more appreciated by men or whether to just say I just didn't get it. Fantastically well written though, great flow but I just found I didn't care what happened to the characters but I genuinely don't think that is the fault of the author more that I was mismatched to the books.

How a Gunman Says Goodbye: The Glasgow Trilogy Book 2
How a Gunman Says Goodbye: The Glasgow Trilogy Book 2

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my thing but well written., 14 July 2014

Child 44
Child 44

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow totally amazing but not a casual read, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Child 44 (Kindle Edition)
NO SPOILERS

WOW totally fantastic book. I can't attest to it's accuracy but wow what a great story. The follow up books are not as good as this but still kept me hooked.

Not for the faint hearted nor those looking for an easy, casual read. This sucks you in and holds you transfixed to the very end.

The Secret Speech
The Secret Speech

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story arc, 14 July 2014
This review is from: The Secret Speech (Kindle Edition)
NO SPOILERS

Not as good as Child 44 but still excellent. Read the books in order though otherwise it won't all make sense. Tom Rob Smith is a very talented author. Read them all.

Agent 6
Agent 6

4.0 out of 5 stars Very talented author, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Agent 6 (Kindle Edition)

A Dreadful Summoner
A Dreadful Summoner

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read everything by this man if you are intelligent and like excellent mystery/crime books with original storylines, 14 July 2014
NO SPOILERS

God I love Keith McCarthy. Intelligent and well written. This isn't his best book and I highly, highly recommend his back catalogue and I' desperately waiting for new stuff.

Brilliantly twisty with great characters and none of the hackneyed rubbish that you so often find in the mystery/crime world.

Read, read, read.

The Vintage Club
The Vintage Club

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, similar to Glenn Kleier and Dan Brown. Not a religious book it just has a biblical template., 14 July 2014
This review is from: The Vintage Club (Kindle Edition)
NO SPOILERS

A well spun story, should be enjoyed by those who love Glenn Kleier and Dan Brown for it's sense of mystery and history. Don't be put off by the religious element it doesn't shove it down your throat the biblical references are merely there as a template of history and not intended to convert the heathens!

I didn't feel that I would want to keep a copy of this book (had it been a book and not an ebook). Glenn's books take pride of place on my shelves this would not but it had a certain something. However I found the endless descriptions of things very irritating hence 4 stars not 5. It interrupted the flow of the story which I enjoyed. The book could be at least 50 pages shorter if the descriptions of pointless things weren't there. I don't really care what every stone on a house looks like and what it's tiling and carpets are like in detail unless that is necessary for the story (which it wasn't). The descriptions were also quite childlike in that they were all given up front rather than, like in most books for grownups, dripfed. For example (not taken from the book) - John walked into the blue room with a blue sofa that looked comfortable it was in the middle of the room adjacent to a dark wooden table that had Hello magazine on it opened at page 5. John wore green trousers and a red jumper that his Mum's cat's former owner's sister bought him for Christmas the year before. John is 37 years old and has brown hair. Anyway you get the gist I'm being a little unfair but if you read the book you'll see what I mean.

This aside I do recommend the read. A couple of the twists may not surprise you but you will enjoy them nonetheless if you like this kind of thing. I did though I know my review might read a bit negative please don't consider it to be so, I'm being hyper picky.

Likeable and hateable characters in the right places and a wonderfully woven story. I would certainly read other things by Darin Gibby but seriously hope the descriptions are cut down a bit so I have a bit less skip reading and much more enjoyment.

The Toy Taker (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 3)
The Toy Taker (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Crime fiction lovers I recommend Luke Delaney, 20 Jun 2014
NO SPOILERS

I love this book. Highly recommend it. Luke Delaney will no doubt end up among the greats of crime writing. It is still a little raw in places but worth reading.

Crime fiction lovers you need to jump on board and read, you won't be disappointed.

The Skin Collector (Lincoln Rhyme Book 11)
The Skin Collector (Lincoln Rhyme Book 11)

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a Lincoln Rhyme book - it just has to be read, 20 Jun 2014
NO SPOILERS

I'm a sucker for Lincoln Rhyme books and this one was brilliant. I did guess the twist but that didn't take anything away from the story. You have to suspend your belief in the realities of science a little to enjoy the books but it is fun seeing the jigsaw pieces of the crime scene be put together and what might be possible in an ideal world with no budgets.

Whilst I understand the people who are saying that they are becoming a little formulaic but there are enough differences book to book for me for it not to matter.

I didn't find this a true page turner but the story pulled me along nicely and as I said for me Lincoln can do no wrong so I would just keep reading anyway. Set up for the next book so hopefully that will be a stormer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7