Profile for H. Petre > Reviews

Content by H. Petre

H. Petre "hpoet" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Kinps®SD/MMC/MS Card Reader + 3 x HUB Camera Connection Kit For iPad / iPad2 / iPad3
Offered by Kinpsbuy

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and practical, recommended for iPad, 29 Aug 2014
Works fine for transferring photos from my SD card to my iPad 2. I take out the card and put it into the card slot. As someone else has said, make sure your iPad is running and the photos app is open before you connect, to ensure a smooth import experience. I do get a message saying "this device is not supported by the iPad" but I just ignore it and everything carries on working.
A great little piece of kit for the price.

21-Day Sugar Detox: Step-by-Step Guide to Quit Sugar the Smart Way
21-Day Sugar Detox: Step-by-Step Guide to Quit Sugar the Smart Way
by Sarah Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so much a book as a pamphlet, expensive for what it is, 29 Aug 2014
It's a bit small. More like a pamphlet than a book, and the front cover has curled already even though it has not been abused! I had thought there would be more recipes. I'm still none the wiser about how to go totally sugar-free, though I have not read the whole book.
I found the recipe for apple muffins good, and ditto the section on eating out. But on its own this book is a little lacking in content and pages. I had expected more for the price I paid.

IDAPT - Modulo Universal Portable Charger - For Iphone 4,5,5S, Samsung, Tablets...
Offered by IDAPT

4.0 out of 5 stars Check your devices are compatible and get the correct mini-leads, 28 Aug 2014
I was one of the kickstarter crowdfunders, and pledged for 3 basic modulos, like the ones shown here, with lime and yellow skins, and short cables. The connections on mine were USB to mciro-USB, or vice versa (the Modulos have two ports, and you simply plug in the appropriate end of the lead, according to what you're charging). Each of mine came with a reusable 'smart attach' sticky pad the size and width of a credit card to attach to a phone, etc, while charging. If you buy more than one modulo you can stack them together to get a faster charge, or to prevent losing them. I have an old fashioned phone that's not power hungry, so I can charge it with only one modulo. A kids' tablet left charging overnight with all three modulos drained them all, but the tablet was fully charged. With my other devices It's not so easy, as to charge the iPad or iPod or camera that I use would mean running the battery cable through a little adaptor I already have, so I have not bothered. For a newer iPhone (5) you need a separate cable to the ones I have. Overall I am pleased with this kit, and it has charged up the phones of visiting relatives. Time will tell how useful they really are, the real test would be to be able to go on holiday without taking a whole bag of chargers! Charging up the modulos is done via the mains, you can charge several at once with a USB to mains adaptor (not supplied, but easy to come by) and progress is indicated by LEDs.

Red Beach Tent & Festival Shelter with Closing Door & Sand Pockets - SPF40 Sun Protection
Offered by UKHobbyStore

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to erect, keeps the sun off, impossible to put back in bag, 17 Aug 2014
Easy to assemble, works well at keeping the sun off or providing a changing shelter. Not too many red shelters on the beach, so it is easy to spot. Comes down easily, too, and can be moved when the poles are in, if the tide starts coming in fast! Am giving it four stars because it is almost impossible to get everything back in the bag. If that's your main concern, get a more expensive product. Otherwise, I can't fault it.

BOOT BANANAS FRAGRANT SHOE DEODORIZERS OUTDOOR CLIMBING ARBORIST
BOOT BANANAS FRAGRANT SHOE DEODORIZERS OUTDOOR CLIMBING ARBORIST
Offered by Daleswear Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny AND effective, 17 Aug 2014
MY stickies don't smell, because I bought these at the same time! Also impressed that they work on older shoes too. I have a pair of trainers that the cat sprayed over. If I use the boot bananas after wearing them, the sour smell goes! Thinking of getting another pair.
I am an aromatherapist, and I wish I had invented these. Would recommend to anyone who has problem footwear, not just climbers or runners

7dayshop Mini Tripod / Bendy Wirepod / Table top Tripod / Travellers Tripod - Fits 99% of all Compact Cameras, Camcorders, Bridge Cameras and DSLR and Including Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Sony, Minolta, Pentax, Olympus and Fujifilm etc.
Offered by 7dayshop Limited (VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars was happy with the low price, 17 Aug 2014
Have had this item about ten days, was happy with the low price, and it works well as a pocket sized tripod, though you can't attach it to a post as you might with a gorillapod. It's very light and compact, which is excellent for me, and I think it will last longer than a gorillapod, as it doesn't have the same meccano-type look, so no visiting children/adults want to play with it! The legs dropped off my gorillapod because it was fiddled with.
Would certainly recommend this item at the price.

Pick & Mix Shopping and Menu Planning refill for personal-sized organisers
Pick & Mix Shopping and Menu Planning refill for personal-sized organisers
Offered by Boxhouse

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor value for money, 17 Aug 2014
Good fit, well presented, BUT ...and it's a big but: there are thirteen double sided weekly meal planners, therefore only enough for half a year, and thirty seven shopping list pages, plus two sheets for "Essentials". It's lovely stationery, but for the price I'd expected a lot more. Would shop around before ordering again.

10 DIGIT METAL COMBINATION PADLOCKS SECURITY LOCK 70mm
10 DIGIT METAL COMBINATION PADLOCKS SECURITY LOCK 70mm
Offered by Hangerworld

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy for the gym, 6 Aug 2014
Handy for use in the gym, or in poor light conditions where the small combination barrel locks are too fiddly. Once you know the code by feeling your way there, it's child's play to unlock it. The code numbers can be entered in any order. Looks chunky, which is a deterrent.

Three Houses
Three Houses
by Angela Thirkell

3.0 out of 5 stars Reindeer gloves with fur lining, 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: Three Houses (Paperback)
I bought this book for the attractive cover, and left it aside for a while. Finally picked it up on holiday.
The author is very amusing on the subject of the discomfort of pre-Raphaelite furniture, and she ought to know, being Burne-Jones' granddaughter!
There is, however, a vein of snobbery that runs through the book, that kept me from enjoying it fully. Of figs, the author says, "how superior are our long Sussex figs to the short round foreign variety".
Of the waits (a kind of carol-singing) she says, "I don't suppose any of them knew any kind of carol beyond a very garbled version of Good King Wenceslas in which they always telescoped the last two bars into one, making two crotchets and a minim out of two minims and a semi-breve on the word 'weather'".
Shocking stuff! The book was first published in 1931, so the minims may have mattered more then.
A privileged childhood, where a child was given reindeer gloves with fur lining as just one of her stocking presents at Christmas, seems to have led to a distaste for modern living, for this memoir is nostalgic and idealised, looking back to a time when things were better, even if Nanny was stricter.
The final chapter on bathing and the descent to the beach down the cliff-face with the perambulators is my favourite, and makes the book worth buying for this alone.
On the whole, though, I found this book a little dull, there was not enough of a narrative arc to any of the chapters. And the snobbery kept making me want to ditch the book. I had to force myself to finish it, even though it is only 200 pages. Now that I've reached the final chapter, I'm glad I stuck with it.

The Two Week Wait
The Two Week Wait
by Sarah Rayner

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, an unusual but compelling holiday read, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Two Week Wait (Paperback)
Bought this book with a token, was looking after a baby at the time, who had been conceived by a lesbian mother by IVF with donor insemination. Hence my interest. At first I was not that taken with the book, but it grew on me to the point where I could not put it down. A great holiday read, and it's true what other reviewers say: you dont need to have read the author's first book first

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15