Profile for H. Petre > Reviews

One For All SV9141 Amplified 43dB UHF/VHF/FM Indoor Antenna
One For All SV9141 Amplified 43dB UHF/VHF/FM Indoor Antenna
Price: 17.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Useless in poor signal area, 13 Aug 2013
I live in a poor Freeview signal area (we are on a relay transmitter) and this aerial doesn't help at all. Impractical design and Tv picture keeps breaking up. Paid about 20 for this in Argos, but definitely not worth more than a fiver! Shop around for a better model before buying this unless you live in a strong signal area.

Harden's London for Free
Harden's London for Free
by Peter Harden

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy little pocket sized book, 23 Jun 2013
Bought this because I was planning to go to East London and was short of ideas. IT was also pouring with rain. I would rate this book highly, because of the three places I visited for free, including the spectacular Waltham Abbey, outside of London, every one was as good or even better than I had imagined. I'll be using it again, and I liked that it was so small and lightweight.

The Cardmaker's Workbook: The Complete Guide to Design, Color, and Construction Techniques for Beautiful Cards
by Jenn Mason
Price: 13.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas to get you going, 23 Jun 2013
I recently took a break of about a year from card making, and this book has helped me get back to my hobby. Picked it up at a charity shop, as I've done with lots of other card books. I find it more inspiring than most. I've not read it all, just hung around the first few chapters on composition and design (including example of designs that work and designs that don't, and why)
and colour theory. This is good for now, and there's more here than in Cardmakers Sketch Book: Ideas to Inspire Creative Card Making, which just offers sketch and examples, but little or no explanation.
The instructions for each card are suitably brief, and I don't love most of the examples, but I can see how they can be adapted to use my existing stash of papers, stamps and embellishments. The colour theory section with its three-or-four colour swatches of co ordinating colours, and three different cards from each colour scheme, is really helpful for me.
There are various downloadable templates which I am sure I will never use, but to be honest I don't really use scanning programmes so can manage without. All in all, this a good book, not suitable for complete beginners, but which offers a good selection of theory and practical designs, without suggesting that you go out and buy loads of "essential" stamps and equipment.
The only complaint is that it suggests I give a card to "your neighbour's gorgeous pool boy". For some reason, my neighbour has not got one of these!

Eat Natural Buckwheat Toasted Muesli 500 g (Pack of 3)
Eat Natural Buckwheat Toasted Muesli 500 g (Pack of 3)
Offered by Best4Deals
Price: 15.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Filling and satisfying, 25 May 2013
Really does fill you up! I have a mixture of this and nature's path gluten free Mesa Sunrise for breakfast, with soya milk, and it keeps me going all morning, even though my job is physically demanding. Cinnamon is barely discernible, but that's ok, 'cause I don't like it!
It currently costs 3 per packet at Tesco (may 2013) so would not buy it online unless it were cheaper.
Only problem is, my partner has now discovered it and is loving it too!

Memories incorporating "Perverse and Foolish" and "Memory in a House"
Memories incorporating "Perverse and Foolish" and "Memory in a House"
by Lucy M Boston

4.0 out of 5 stars A rebellious spirit inhabits the house, 25 May 2013
I bought this book for the love of the Green Knowe series, but found myself skimming over some of the parts about the house or the garden, because they were described in such detail. My preference was for the first part: Perverse and Foolish, describing the author's life up until the time of her disastrous marriage after the First World War.

The author's uncompromising spirit gave me a bit of a headache at times: for example, the author went to live in Austria after the break up of her marriage, and there she adopted the custom of wearing the dirndl, the Austrian national dress. Returning to England and putting on musical evenings and offering lodgings for members of the RAF (air force) stationed nearby, she was very piqued to be suspected of being a spy, and being checked over regularly. Yet, she considered the villagers to be 'narrow minded' for suspecting her because she wore Austrian style clothing! Had she never lived in a village before? I wondered. Small towns and villages thrive on gossip, but the author did not bend with the wind,ever, but continued to plough her own furrow, complaining occasionally about the loneliness.
I will continue to love the Green Knowe Series, and the appeal of living in a partly Noman house is not lost on me,but the feisty side of the author began to irritate me after a while.

However, you may love it...

Mistress Of Charlecote: Mistress of Charlecote (PB): The Memoirs of Mary Elizabeth Lucy
by A. Fairfax-Lucy
Price: 7.16

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh, the gaiety! somewhat like a Jane Austen novel..., 25 May 2013
A well written chronicle of the Victorian mistress of Charlecote park, from her girlhood in Wales to her eighth decade. Speaking personally, I found the inherited snobberies of her time unsettling, and was grateful for the introduction and occasional notes by Alice Fairfax -Lucy, her great (or great-great?) granddaughter in law, later the keeper of Charlecote. By all means don't let this put you off reading it, because it is a fascinating slice of social history written by one who did not take up her pen until the age of almost eighty! The sharpness of her childhood memories is remarkable. and her love of the house shines through.

Sleep Furiously [DVD] [2007]
Sleep Furiously [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Gideon Koppel
Price: 7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Homage to a vanishing way of life, 16 May 2013
This review is from: Sleep Furiously [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
If you are looking for fast paced action, this is not the film for you. If you are looking for beauty in the 'everyday' rural life, this will not disappoint. Acutely observed interactions and packed with poignant moments never forced, this is a DVD to buy and re-watch. Reminded me of some the of the issues being faced by the village in the west highlands of Scotland where I grew up in the 1970s: closure of school, post office, shop; death of farming as a viable way of life. Four stars because sometimes the music cuts out very suddenly when the scene changes. That was the only jarring note for me.

Bobino Small Pink
Bobino Small Pink
Offered by Europens
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, does what it says on tin, 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: Bobino Small Pink
I bought this a replacement for a lost item, so I knew what to expect. I was delighted with the fuschia pink colour, and of course the item works! I paid less than 2 inc. delivery, so what's not to like?

Set of 5 (five) Magazine files in White
Set of 5 (five) Magazine files in White

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Ikea magazine files at a marked up price, 27 Mar 2013
These are Ikea magazine files. They are ok, but at 5 for 6.99 I was expecting something sturdier. They have no double walling, and the corrugated cardboard is fairly thin. Ok for a co ordinated look around the home, but not sturdy enough for office use. My fault for buying something with only one review! Delivery by DPD for Prime was very fast, though.

Woly Unisex-Adult Woly Astro Therm Comfort Insole 181177 Beige 7.5 UK
Woly Unisex-Adult Woly Astro Therm Comfort Insole 181177 Beige 7.5 UK
Price: 4.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm as toast, 11 Mar 2013
These insoles are used in my slippers, and keep my feet as warm as toast. I'd buy them again. Better than the lambswool ones.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15