Profile for H. Petre > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Foster Grant Empire Sunglasses
Foster Grant Empire Sunglasses

5.0 out of 5 stars they don't fly off your head, 31 Jan 2014
I always have a pair of these, because if they do happen to dislodge from your face, they will probably stay on your head. If they do fall on the floor, they won't break.Good price and they offer good protection, too. If you are an active sort of person, you will appreciate the extra grip around the ears.

Collected Poems 1909-62
Collected Poems 1909-62
by T.S. Eliot

5.0 out of 5 stars Includes the four quartets, 29 Jan 2014
I wanted this, so I could view the Four Quartets, but also a bit more if I felt inspired. This book contains a good selection. Cheaper than buying The four quartets on their own!

Turron de Alicante - Hard almond nougat 150g
Turron de Alicante - Hard almond nougat 150g

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 29 Jan 2014
Every year I try and get hold of some of this crunchy, hard nougat, and every year I eat far too much of it! Not good for teeth or waistline, but one of my personal favourites at Christmas time.

Reeves A3 Art and Craft Work Station
Reeves A3 Art and Craft Work Station
Offered by Crafty Arts

3.0 out of 5 stars Differs from image on box, 29 Jan 2014
The image on the website and box shows an easel with 5 pairs of grooves. The easel itself has only 3 sets, and in the lowest position the board collapses to flat when any weight is applied. I wanted to be able to use the easel at an angle of less than 45 degrees, and this won't be possible with this easel. I've asked to return it.

2 days later: I contacted the seller and we came to an agreement re. returns. I am pleased to say that the website image has now been changed to reflect the actual product. I am happy with this solution, but would caution that if you want to use the easel at a very acute angle, be aware that using the third notch from the hinge may result in the easel's board collapsing!

Watch Over Me
Watch Over Me

2.0 out of 5 stars Too twee,like a magazine story spun into a novel. Some spoilers, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Watch Over Me (Kindle Edition)
Unconvincing portrayal of a village in North East Scotland where the blacksmith is also an sculptor/jeweller/metalworking single Dad. Every character mentioned in the village has blue eyes, and there is no unemployment, no farming of any sort, no mention of the oil industry, no fights, no joining the army, no addictions except one which is quickly overcome, no fish farming, no quarry, nothing at all! No teenagers either. What does everyone do all day apart from visit the shop, the Chinese takeaway, the Green Hat pub, or going shopping in Aberdeen? Why do agents from major galleries in London pop up by car to the gallery opening in this one-horse town? Don't they even know how far it is to drive there?
It's like a soap opera set in the 1950s. There is a lesbian relationship, but this is partially resolved by packing one of the characters involved off the other end of the earth.
I really got quite fed up of the main character, Eilidh, because she was a little too Goody-two-Shoes to be likeable. As for the strong, silent handsome blacksmith, he's nicked from a Mills and Boon plot, I am sure of it.
I bought this as an audio download. I wish I hadn't, as I see the Kindle download is now 30p! Only buy it if you are sure you can afford the time it takes to read it.

Gibsons Puzzle - Christmas Shopping (1000 pieces)
Gibsons Puzzle - Christmas Shopping (1000 pieces)

3.0 out of 5 stars Many dark areas, 26 Dec 2013
This one is a bit odd. The scale/perspective of the 'outside' versus the inside of the shop seems out of true, and there is a boy in the shop apparently wearing a 21st century hoodie and jeans while the others are in 1950s clothing! There are many dark areas, which makes it hard to do in the evenings, even with a good light. I actually gave up on this jigsaw, which I don't do very often, but life is too short...
The construction seems sturdy, and there aren't any peeling pieces as I have sometimes found with Gibsons puzzles.

Nivea 50ml Female Black & White  Pure Invisible Roll-On
Nivea 50ml Female Black & White Pure Invisible Roll-On
Offered by Cooking Marvellous

3.0 out of 5 stars Invisible, but offers little protection, 15 Nov 2013
I've been using this for a few months now, on and off, and can report that, while it does not stain or mark my clothes, it doesn't help a lot either! I put this on in the morning, and then walk fast to work. By the time I get to to work I'm sweating, and feeling unpleasantly sweaty. I wouldn't get this again, might try the Dove or Gilette invisible brand, as I definitely need more antiperspirant power.

Lion Ointment - 25g
Lion Ointment - 25g

2.0 out of 5 stars No success at splinter removal, 5 Oct 2013
This hasn't helped remove splinters/thorns for my partner and I. Like the wintergreen aroma, though, and may use it as a chest rub in winter, or for softening the corns on my toes....

Krups Twin Blade Coffee Mill
Krups Twin Blade Coffee Mill
Offered by Harts Of Stur

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 24 Sep 2013
We have an old Kenwood standalone grinder that has been used for three and a half years. The blades are on the way out, so I chose this Krups machine as a replacement. Unfortunately, it's not nearly as good as the Kenwood. It takes longer than I'm used to to produce a rather coarse grind, and the coffee sticks to the bottom of the hopper (static, maybe?!) and the grinds end up on the counter top when trying to pour them out the of the hopper. Beautiful looks, but just not up to the job of grinding for espresso.
Will be returning this to Amazon.

Squirrel Buster Peanut Bird Feeder
Squirrel Buster Peanut Bird Feeder

4.0 out of 5 stars Birds love it; squirrels don't bother with it!, 21 Sep 2013
My last peanut feeder had been destroyed and was impossible to clean. I bought one of these because I know the brand and have a mini sunflower seed feeder by them. I cannot comment on the woodpecker friendliness because the woodpeckers only visit our garden for a short period of about three months every year. It's a little hard to hang in a tree because it is supposed to be 18 inches from any surface that the squirrels can hang on to.I've managed to hang and refill in situ, though not without contortions. The blue tits love it. I put peanuts and suet pellets in it, and am satisfied that the squirrels aren't interested in cracking it, as I never even see them. It comes apart easily for cleaning, and the ventilation means that (so far) it hasn't clogged up.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16