Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's
Profile for H. Petre > Reviews

Content by H. Petre

H. Petre "hpoet" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hebridean Desk Diary 2015 (Desk Diaries)
Hebridean Desk Diary 2015 (Desk Diaries)
by Mairi Hedderwick
Edition: Diary

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated, well-made diary, 1 Feb. 2015
Got this to plan meals for the week ahead, as we have specific dietary requirements. There is enough space, the binding is good, and the illustrations are beautiful, reminding me of my homeland. It's also refreshing my memory of the days of the week in Gaelic! Would make an excellent present for lovers of Mairi Hedderwick's work.

N4U ONLINE BROWN PREMIUM PU LEATHER PULL FLIP TAB CASE COVER POUCH FOR NOKIA 106 WITH MAGNETIC STRAP CLOSURE
Offered by N4U Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Polyurethane (PU) leather is not real leather!, 1 Feb. 2015
Very cheap, polyurethane (PU) leather. Didn't like the smell, and have got another case. I don't know why anyone is allowed to call polyurethane "leather" as it is a man-made plasticky material. On the plus side, this did fit my Nokia candy bar style phone, and it's getting harder to find cases that do!

Complete Mapp and Lucia (A BBC Series)
Complete Mapp and Lucia (A BBC Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, no typos, 1 Feb. 2015
Very funny! I have read the first volume and enjoyed all the bitchery immensely. There are six volumes in this, which cost me all of 99 pence. Great value. According to other sources, there are actually seven titles in the series, with the third being The Male Impersonator. This is not included in this compilation, but that doesn't bother me. I am going to listen to Miss Mapp on a download from Audible (unabridged) because I think these voices deserve to be heard, as well as read. They are so delightfully nasty and pointed in their remarks and put-downs! Will read the rest of the volumes later. I think the only disadvantage of getting all these as a kindle download is that if you have an older kindle ( I have the Kindle 4, I think) it is hard to see where you are in the book when there are no page numbers or overall contents page. I miss those things.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2015 6:17 PM BST

Reelin' in the Years: The Soundtrack of a Northern Life
Reelin' in the Years: The Soundtrack of a Northern Life
by Mark Radcliffe

4.0 out of 5 stars Reminscences of a life in pop and rock music, 1 Feb. 2015
Bought as a present. My 65-year old partner who used to make music videos in the 1980s enjoyed it, and has lent it on to other music lovers. Four stars because he said it lingered for too long on Radcliffe's personal favourite songs. Other books we've enjoyed in this genre are: Bringing it all back home by Ian Clayton: Black Vinyl white Powder by Simon Napier-Bell; Cider with Roadies by Stuart Maconie: Lost in Music by Giles Smith; Rock Stars Stole my Life! by Mark Ellen. In the pipeline (on my kindle, actually) is Simon Napier-Bell's Ta-ra-de-Boom-de-ay, another big book about songs. To sum up, if you were there in the 80s, and a bit indy, you'll probably like this.

Christmas Decorations to Cut, Fold & Stick (Usborne Activities) (Decorations to Make)
by Fiona Watt

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but get the more recent edition if you can. Great price, 1 Feb. 2015
Good, but the more recent edition of this book (sometimes available from the Book People via Amazon) is better, because it contains more pages of angels to cut out and make. We used the angels and stars templates at school last year, and several staff were so impressed that they ordered copies of the book from me to use with their own kids. Could not get the recent edition, it had sold out, so bought several of these, and the 'customers' were very happy with it, though I'd expected more angels! Also, the colours in the more recent edition are a little more varied.

Kitchen Craft Stainless Steel Pastry Blender
Kitchen Craft Stainless Steel Pastry Blender

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says: blends pastry, leaving your hands clean., 1 Feb. 2015
IT works! Saw these at the school where I work, and was amazed at what light work they make of blending! Even little children can use these, with help. Good quality stainless steel item. However, if you have a food processor, you don't need one of these.

LADIES WOMENS FLAT WARM FUR LINED GRIP SOLE WINTER SNOW ANKLE BOOTS SHOES SIZE (UK 7 / EU 40 / US 9, Brown Faux Leather)
Offered by Fashion Thirsty

3.0 out of 5 stars Waterproof but not comfortable or stylish, 1 Feb. 2015
These boots ARE waterproof, and have side zips to prevent endless faffing with laces (which are only for show). They do the job for walking to work, but are pretty uncomfortable after say, half an hour. They squash my toes in weird ways, and there is very little give in the soles. I've taken to wearing them to work in wet weather, but putting on trainers inside, then just changing back at the end of the day. Also not very effective against cold: would wear walking boots on country walks. Good price, though, and easy to get on and off. Will try them if we have any snow to speak of.

Miracle On 34th Street 1947/ 1994 Double Pack [DVD]
Miracle On 34th Street 1947/ 1994 Double Pack [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edmund Gwenn
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value pack, something for all ages, 1 Feb. 2015
A bargain pack: bought it for the Vintage film to watch myself (you can watch it in original Black and white or colorised) and the 1994 remake to show at school. Both were very popular with their intended audience, and several staff members stopped by to to tell me it was their favourite Christmas film! It's an alternative the schmaltziness of most modern-day Christmas films: this Santa is a bit of a rebel, as well as being convinced that he IS actually Father Christmas! You can't go wrong with this pack at Christmas time: buy it, watch both, and decide which version you prefer! For me it's the original, 1947 version, because the period detail is delightful. I'll be getting this out again next Christmas, for sure.

The Darkening Hour
The Darkening Hour
by Penny Hancock

5.0 out of 5 stars Domestic slavery in 21st century UK: informative, chilling and compulsive reading, 1 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Darkening Hour (Paperback)
Enthralling and horrifying tale of modern slavery. Not as creepy as Tideline, but informative and I'll never look at the Thames in the same way again. I have recommended this to friends and given copies away as presents, am now looking forward to the author's new paperback novel, out in Late January 2015. Definitely read this if you want to know more about 21st century domestic servitude.

Lepicol - Healthy Bowels Formula - 180 Vegicaps
Lepicol - Healthy Bowels Formula - 180 Vegicaps

3.0 out of 5 stars Unclear usage guidelines: suck it and see!, 1 Feb. 2015
Doesn't really work for me. Bought because I went gluten free nine months ago, and became more constipated. Was using psyllium husk with beetroot before this, but thought this might be easier to use. It isn't. There are no precise instructions: "take between two and eight capsules per day". That's quite a range! I tried more, and less, but only had either constipation or diarrhoea. I gave up after a few days and went back to the psyllium husk, because I liked the taste of the beetroot, and I know how much to take. This might work well against Candida, if used as part of a reduced-sugar diet. However, it should be stored in the fridge, and who knows what part of the warehouse it was stored in prior to delivery?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20