Profile for H. Petre > Reviews

Content by H. Petre

H. Petre "hpoet" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Christmas Decorations to Cut, Fold & Stick (Usborne Activities) (Decorations to Make)
by Fiona Watt
Edition: Game

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but get the more recent edition if you can. Great price, 1 Feb. 2015
Good, but the more recent edition of this book (sometimes available from the Book People via Amazon) is better, because it contains more pages of angels to cut out and make. We used the angels and stars templates at school last year, and several staff were so impressed that they ordered copies of the book from me to use with their own kids. Could not get the recent edition, it had sold out, so bought several of these, and the 'customers' were very happy with it, though I'd expected more angels! Also, the colours in the more recent edition are a little more varied.

Kitchen Craft Stainless Steel Pastry Blender
Kitchen Craft Stainless Steel Pastry Blender

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says: blends pastry, leaving your hands clean., 1 Feb. 2015
IT works! Saw these at the school where I work, and was amazed at what light work they make of blending! Even little children can use these, with help. Good quality stainless steel item. However, if you have a food processor, you don't need one of these.

LADIES WOMENS FLAT WARM FUR LINED GRIP SOLE WINTER SNOW ANKLE BOOTS SHOES SIZE (UK 7 / EU 40 / US 9, Brown Faux Leather)
Offered by Fashion Thirsty

3.0 out of 5 stars Waterproof but not comfortable or stylish, 1 Feb. 2015
These boots ARE waterproof, and have side zips to prevent endless faffing with laces (which are only for show). They do the job for walking to work, but are pretty uncomfortable after say, half an hour. They squash my toes in weird ways, and there is very little give in the soles. I've taken to wearing them to work in wet weather, but putting on trainers inside, then just changing back at the end of the day. Also not very effective against cold: would wear walking boots on country walks. Good price, though, and easy to get on and off. Will try them if we have any snow to speak of.

Miracle On 34th Street 1947/ 1994 Double Pack [DVD]
Miracle On 34th Street 1947/ 1994 Double Pack [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edmund Gwenn
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value pack, something for all ages, 1 Feb. 2015
A bargain pack: bought it for the Vintage film to watch myself (you can watch it in original Black and white or colorised) and the 1994 remake to show at school. Both were very popular with their intended audience, and several staff members stopped by to to tell me it was their favourite Christmas film! It's an alternative the schmaltziness of most modern-day Christmas films: this Santa is a bit of a rebel, as well as being convinced that he IS actually Father Christmas! You can't go wrong with this pack at Christmas time: buy it, watch both, and decide which version you prefer! For me it's the original, 1947 version, because the period detail is delightful. I'll be getting this out again next Christmas, for sure.

The Darkening Hour
The Darkening Hour
by Penny Hancock

5.0 out of 5 stars Domestic slavery in 21st century UK: informative, chilling and compulsive reading, 1 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Darkening Hour (Paperback)
Enthralling and horrifying tale of modern slavery. Not as creepy as Tideline, but informative and I'll never look at the Thames in the same way again. I have recommended this to friends and given copies away as presents, am now looking forward to the author's new paperback novel, out in Late January 2015. Definitely read this if you want to know more about 21st century domestic servitude.

Lepicol - Healthy Bowels Formula - 180 Vegicaps
Lepicol - Healthy Bowels Formula - 180 Vegicaps
Offered by STOCKEXPRESS

3.0 out of 5 stars Unclear usage guidelines: suck it and see!, 1 Feb. 2015
Doesn't really work for me. Bought because I went gluten free nine months ago, and became more constipated. Was using psyllium husk with beetroot before this, but thought this might be easier to use. It isn't. There are no precise instructions: "take between two and eight capsules per day". That's quite a range! I tried more, and less, but only had either constipation or diarrhoea. I gave up after a few days and went back to the psyllium husk, because I liked the taste of the beetroot, and I know how much to take. This might work well against Candida, if used as part of a reduced-sugar diet. However, it should be stored in the fridge, and who knows what part of the warehouse it was stored in prior to delivery?

Bread & Baguette Storage Bags - Twin Pack
Bread & Baguette Storage Bags - Twin Pack
Offered by Dkbees

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says: keeps the bread fresh, 1 Feb. 2015
It works, though I have not yet tried the baguette bag. Good thick plastic lining, fair price, cheaper than posh kitchen shops! Bought because takes up less space than a bread bin. To be honest, I only buy the Village Bakery rye bread, which comes in a plastic bag anyway, so maybe I don't need it. But I am sure it will be handy if I make Barra brith or other breads

Harriet and the Cherry Pie (Puffin Books)
Harriet and the Cherry Pie (Puffin Books)
by Clare Compton

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic read, centring around a London cafe and theatre in the 1960s, 1 Feb. 2015
Classic children's book for older readers! I am 51, and remember my older sister reading this when I was about five, and then reading it myself when I was a little older. Delighted to find a copy here on Amazon, as I remembered it had recipes in it, though they are not anything mind-blowing, just sweets and crispie cakes! Read this at Christmas to get the warm fuzzies: it's as cosy and nostalgic as, say, the Railway Children, though set in a different era, the 1960s. Children were given more liberty then: there was not the same fear of "stranger danger" and this is evident in the reading. As I haven't got any 7/8/9 year olds to try it out on, I can't say what a child of today would make of it: maybe the type of female child (because the protagonists are female) who is a curious reader, the sort who reads omnivorously, would like it, though they'd have some 'history' questions to pose....

KARMA & REINCARNATION: Transcending Your Past, Transforming Your Future (Pocket Guides to Practical Spirituality)
by Elizabeth Clare Prophet

3.0 out of 5 stars but I think I'd do better to ask her, 1 Feb. 2015
Handy little pocket sized book, neat format. However, I haven't got far with it because it's more Christian than I expected! I don't really need to know what the Bible or Jesus said about reincarnation. I bought this book after an interesting conversation about Karma with a friend of a friend, but I think I'd do better to ask her, or her Indian husband, what books they would recommend reading.

Olympus LI-50B Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
Olympus LI-50B Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
Offered by SmartSalesUK

5.0 out of 5 stars No issues: price and quality all good, 1 Feb. 2015
Genuine battery, good price. To be honest, I cannot remember if it lasts as long as the original one I got with my camera, because that was 2.5 years ago! Says somewhere that it takes around 196 shots. But that would not include fiddling with the settings, zooming in and out, etc. I found it lasted several consecutive days, and I take around ten shots a day, with lots of fiddling! Have just ordered another one to take on holiday. £13.95 is a lovely price, and it definitely lasts longer than the generics. Charge up before first use, and recharge in 2 hours between uses. I also recommend the generic charger from Ex-pro for this battery type: got mine in 2012 when the camera was new, for less than a tenner, and it's still going strong (my camera only came with a cable for charging, to connect up to a USB port. Pants to that!)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20