Profile for H. Petre > Reviews

Content by H. Petre

H. Petre "hpoet" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Biz-E-Bee Exclusive 'Black Psychedelic Jumble' Pouch for NOKIA 106 (S) Neoprene Rubber Shock and Water Resistant Mobile Phone Case Cover
Offered by Biz-E-Bee Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and functional phone case, 28 Mar. 2015
I love it! Very quick delivery, lovely pattern. Easy to find phone in my bag because of bright colours. Seems waterproof but not put to the test. Four stars because I think the phone could slip out as it's not a totally snug fit. I would definitely recommend this product to others. I have a similar product for my kindle and it's perfect, not too bulky, but attractive.

Update: I have had the case a few weeks and the phone has not slipped out and the stitching is holding up, so five stars is the new rating.

A Vogel Menoforce - Sage Herb - 90 Tablets
A Vogel Menoforce - Sage Herb - 90 Tablets
Offered by Nutrition Centre

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work for me, 28 Mar. 2015
I have been taking these tablets, one a day, for over 30 days. For the past three months I've had several soaking night sweats every night, some hot flushes, and am suffering from a lack of sleep and some memory lapses. ( I am 51 and perimenopausal, still having occasional periods. While I am very glad to no longer have exceptionally heavy periods every month, the sweats are a poor exchange!) I have tried varying the times I took these menoforce capsules, as recommended on the A Vogel website, but still they appear to have little to no effect on me. The sweats and sleeplessness are the same as before. I am now on the second bottle and am taking one in the morning, one in the evening. So far, nothing has altered. I wouldn't buy more. I might be tempted to try another brand, BUT
For my next approach, I am going to try soy isoflavones.
I already take starflower oil capsules. These used to work for me but are no longer enough to prevent night sweats. One product that HAS helped with the low mood I'd been experiencing of late is Confiance by Wassen. It contains vitamins and magnesium. This has certainly helped restore my energy levels, so it's not all doom and gloom. If anyone reading this can comment on what worked for them, I'd be very grateful.

Blood in the Cotswolds (Cotswolds Mystery 5)
Blood in the Cotswolds (Cotswolds Mystery 5)
by Rebecca Tope

2.0 out of 5 stars Cliches in the Cotswolds, 28 Mar. 2015
I've read about half of this book, having read the previous four over a lengthy time period. This one is very dull, and I am wondering if I can even be bothered to finish it. As other readers have warned, it contains "fattist" remarks that would be deemed offensive by many, if not all. The only part of the story that interests me so far is the relationship between Thea and Hollis. Personally, I am hoping Hollis will recover sufficiently from his slipped disc to contrive to feed Thea to the snake she is supposed to be looking after! She is an irritating character, critical of everything and everyone, with her prettiness as her one 'strength'.
What irks me most about this series is that I LIVE in the Cotswolds, (though not in a picture-perfect honey-coloured stone village full of manor houses and mansions) and it is not totally populated by eccentrics researching old saints and carrying out dawn rituals. Yes, there are a few, but what about the large and never-mentioned majority who just get up, go to work and live in bog standard houses? In my street in Stroud last year we had enough drama for at least one episode of East Enders, but the 'squeezed middle' and working class don't exist in these novels. Her characters and settings are drawn from a narrow set of cliches about the North Cotswolds. This perpetuates the myth that the villages are only affordable by 'weekenders' or locals with curious habits and ancient feuds.
I have all of the books, collected in a brief surge of enthusiasm, from charity shops and the like, but I may not get round to reading the whole series. I give the books away as soon as I'm finished, as I know I would never read them again or recommend to friends.

HDMI Digital AV Adapter for iPhone 4/4S And iPad 1/2/3. Connect To Your HD Device and Charge At The Same Time.
Offered by Alida Systems ®

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work for me, 28 Feb. 2015
Does not work for me with Amazon prime movies/Tv series. Loads of buffering, cannot watch more than a minute or two at a time. Does not work at all if the charging cable is plugged in.MY iPad is running iOS 7. I had hoped for better, cannot recommend.

Dense Net, Delicate Wash Zipped Laundry/ Washing Fine Mesh Bags - 50x60cm, Buy 1 Get 1 Free Offer!
Offered by Kars Business

3.0 out of 5 stars For delicate wash cycle only, 7 Feb. 2015
Use on delicate cycle only. I got these to put my socks in to keep them in pairs. Popped them in on an ordinary, non-delicate cycle at 40 degrees. Unfortunately the bag split during the wash and the socks ended up non-paired! Would probably be fine for washing delicates on a very gentle cycle. Too flimsy for underwired bras, though. The wire could still escape through the mesh. Otherwise, these are large zipped bags, the size of a small pillowcase.

Philips HR7761/01 Viva Food Processor
Philips HR7761/01 Viva Food Processor

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, dishwasher-proof model for the smaller family, 1 Feb. 2015
I waited for the price to dip below £50, which it did, briefly, and bought this on the grounds of it being Which? Recommended. It's great,but along with others I have some quibbles. The slicing discs are so sharp I cut myself badly twice just going near them. It's not really practical to pack everything away in the bowl every time, it's a jigsaw puzzle of a task, so I keep only my favourite attachments in there, and the rest in a plastic box elsewhere. The instructions are very basic, and you will need reading glasses for the leaflet, even if you don't normally! There is no chipping disc with this version. The next model up has one. So you can chop, or slice thickly or thinly, or grate thick or thin, but not dice or chip. That is a pity, in my opinion. The mini chopper is very small in capacity, I've really given up on it. It would struggle to cope with, say, three spring onions with their stems pre-cut. The liquidiser can't handle a lot: I tried blending two pints of soup, but it splattered the kitchen walls! Apart from that, I'm delighted. I'd give three and a half stars if I could, because the price was good.
BTW: the emulsifying disk is for mixing and whisking. There is no whisk attachment or anything that looks vaguely like one. The disc helps you make superb, lump-free bechamel or cheese sauces.
If you have never owned a food processor before, you will need some lessons in use. I bought the Good housekeeping book (1985) from here on Amazon for a penny, and found it a good intro, though the recipes are hilariously retro! It does show you, with illustrations, how to use the machine, though.
To sum up: This machine has saved me loads of time and I am much more likely to cook meals for two, or to bake, now that I've got it. It's dishwasher proof, too. But I would have preferred a model that could chip and dice vegetables.

Rock Stars Stole my Life!: A Big Bad Love Affair with Music
Rock Stars Stole my Life!: A Big Bad Love Affair with Music
by Mark Ellen

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read if you were there in the 80s...., 1 Feb. 2015
Bought as a present for someone who produced music videos in London in the 80s. He is a fan of Mark Ellen's work and his former magazine, the Word, so asked for this for Christmas. He wasn't disappointed, and loved every word of it. See my review of Reelin' in the Years for some suggestions of other books of a similar genre, if you're interested.

My Beautiful Laundrette [DVD]
My Beautiful Laundrette [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Day-Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic 80s film: allegiances on the line, 1 Feb. 2015
I bought a genuine sealed copy of this 1980s film at a great price. Had not seen the film since the 80s: then, I remembered the gay love story as the stand out feature. Now, I saw the nasty racist skinheads looking for someone to kick in; the conflicting allegiances between different generations of Pakistani family members; the love story between a white man who has dabbled with racist thug groups and his old school mate, Omar; the entrepreneurism of Thatcher's Britain as personified in Omar and his get-ahead relatives: depression, alcoholism, failure of promise in some immigrants who couldn't hack life in Britain; and urban blight in South London. This is not a film to everyone;s taste: there's a lot of violence, and some would be unhappy with the gay love scenes: but if you haven't seen it for almost thirty years, or never seen it but want to know about Thatcher's run-down London, I urge you to watch it (again).

Kitchen Craft Master Class Stainless Steel Pizza Cutter
Kitchen Craft Master Class Stainless Steel Pizza Cutter

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp blade, good price, 1 Feb. 2015
It cuts pizza well
It's very sharp, so best keep
in a separate drawer.

Saxondale - Complete Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Saxondale - Complete Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Coogan

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as funny or compelling as Coogan's later work, 1 Feb. 2015
I bought this as part of a promo on Amazon: 2 series for £15 or thereabouts. It was the Steve Coogan name that attracted me, but to be honest it's not as funny as Alan Partridge or any of his later work. I watched a couple of episodes and gave up. It was just too middle-aged blokey for me (I;m a younger middle-aged female!)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20