Profile for wimseyite > Reviews

The Attenbury Emeralds
by Jill Paton Walsh
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars The Attenbury Emeralds, 1 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Attenbury Emeralds (Audio CD)
As an American fan of Lord Peter Wimsey, I was all aflutter when I read (on Edward Petherbridge's website) about the release of Jill Paton Walsh's newest update on the Wimsey line. I decided I should not have to wait until the USA release and, so, ordered it from Amazon UK. Initially, I thought I'd be disappointed when I realized the story was to be told in recollections. However, by the time I'd finished the first disc, I had renewed my love affair with Wimsey and Bunter and their circle. Of course, recollections are only a part of the way the story is told; the present comes in to play very nicely. I'm smack in the middle of the 8 cd set and can hardly go to bed at night for staying up listening. I don't even bother to pretend to be doing household chores now; I just sit on the sofa and listen. The history of Peter is as enthralling as ever. I still feel so fond of the Dowager Duchess. Harriet has warmed and mellowed in the light of Peter's love. They are still sharp, funny, respectful of each other and their regard for Bunter has only grown over the years. These are dear old friends, family, really. The mystery of the emeralds is circuitous enough to keep me interested in the outcome. The characters are all sympathetic and their recounting of the war years is deeply moving. The Greatest Generation meets the thoughtful skill of Peter Wimsey, whose place in the changing world has moved slightly more into the commonplace. But, he is still "My Lord" to Harriett, and, to me.