Profile for Susan Shaw > Reviews

Content by Susan Shaw

Susan Shaw (Leicester, UK)

A Handbook for Travellers in Spain
A Handbook for Travellers in Spain

4.0 out of 5 stars What an interesting read!, 26 April 2011
I bought this book because a) I was going to Spain and wanted to read a relevant book and b) it was cheap. At first I was disappointed as it was so out-dated (not surprising as it was written in the early 19th century) and slightly heavy going. However, I soon became fascinated by the details of early travel, such as the suggestion that the minimum length of trip should be three months (if only...) and the fact that there were no standard passport then.
Once I got to Spain, I found that several details were just as relevant today, such as the typical layout of cathedrals and their uses and customs. Much of this was in greater detail than modern books and there is certainly more information on the cultural background and the language in this book.
If you want to know the usual guidebook information such as opening times, costs, hotels, etc, this book would not help. However, if you are interested in the background, and the views of a confident writer with no constraints on what he is willing to say, this is the book for you. I heartily recommend it, particularly in view of the price and portability of the Kindle edition.

Sweet Honey, Bitter Lemons: Travels in Sicily on a Vespa
Sweet Honey, Bitter Lemons: Travels in Sicily on a Vespa
by Matthew Fort
Price: 10.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Sicilian Heaven, 15 Jun 2009
I took this book with me when I went to Sicily on holiday, and it was doubly useful, as a travel book and a recipe book. The travel book part gave an insight into the land and people and helped suggest places to visit. I made several recipes using the local ingredients and they were all a success. Trying them again when I got home transported me back. The reason I only gave 4 stars was that the recipes are not indexed so it can be quite hard to find the one you are looking for. Otherwise, definitely worth buying.

Four Classic Albums (April In Paris / King Of Swing / Atomic Mr Basie / The Greatest! - Count Basie Plays, Joe Williams Sings Standards)
Price: 7.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Jazz, 15 Jun 2009
This album is a great review of Count Basie's output over his lifetime, and enables you to see how his style developed and how different writers worked with him, while keeping the music defiantly 'Basie'. It is also a brilliant CD to listen to!