Profile for C. Rucroft > Reviews

Content by C. Rucroft

C. Rucroft "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
A Part of Me
A Part of Me
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read for a Summer afternoon..., 26 July 2014
This review is from: A Part of Me (Kindle Edition)
I have never read a book by Anouska Knight before and hadn't really heard of her. It was only when this popped up on my recommendations that I decided to give it a go. I liked the sound of the synopsis.

In this book, Amy and James are about to adopt their long awaited child. Only then Amy discovers something about James which blows her world apart. Can their love be repaired or will she move on without him?

I must admit to being quickly drawn into this book. I really liked Amy and was rooting for her. The author built up her characters well and the story was interesting in parts.

There were things that irritated me. Firstly, I could see where the book was going from the very first page. It was all a little bit clichéd. Also, some of the book could have been cut out as it was just description, particularly about Amy's work, which I wasn't particularly interested in and found myself skimming over.

I read this book in a day and it was fine for whiling away an afternoon. It's not my favourite though and I don't know that I would rush to read another by the author.

Philips Sonicare HX3130/02 Pink Power Up Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX3130/02 Pink Power Up Rechargeable Toothbrush
Price: 33.62

3.0 out of 5 stars An odd experience..., 26 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used electric toothbrushes before but always gone back to a manual. This is mainly down to cost and also my dentist doesn't agree that they do any better a job than a manual! Anyway, when I was offered this on vine I thought I'd give it a go. I've heard good things about the Sonicare brand and I really wanted to be converted.

In the box you get a manual, the brush itself, a brush head and an adapter to charge it. Annoyingly, this is a two pin head so I will have to buy an adapter. It's a bit of a pain really but pretty common with electric toothbrushesin my experience!

The brush itself feels well made and the head was easy to put on. Heads are fairly expensive but you can buy compatible ones which bring the price down.

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the brushing experience. It vibrated so hard that it was actually very uncomfortable. I'm not convinced it was actually cleaning anything either (my mouth didn't feel as clean as when using my manual). I am impressed by the timer which switches the brush off after two minutes.

I'm unsure about is toothbrush and will keep using it for a whole longer to see. As it stands, I can see me going back to a manual! Disappointing.

Logitech Big Bang Case for iPad Mini - Forged Grey
Logitech Big Bang Case for iPad Mini - Forged Grey
Price: 53.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Really like it!, 26 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When it arrived the packaging was very impressive. It really felt like a substantial product.

On getting it out of the packaging, it again seemed well made and fitted onto the iPad with ease. When the front was closed, it protected the iPad. The case itself promises to protect it from drops and spills. Obviously this is not something I really wish to test but it gives me no reason to think it won't live up to these promises!

The only reason it lost a star is that it makes the iPad very heavy. We also have a full size iPad in the house and this is considerably lighter.

All in all, I'm impressed. You could do far worse than this for a case.

The Teashop on the Corner
The Teashop on the Corner
by Milly Johnson
Price: 3.50

4.0 out of 5 stars I want a teashop on the corner!!!, 25 July 2014
I am a big Milly Johnson fan and I couldn't wait to read her latest. I am also a real stationery and book lover so surely I was onto a winner.

As is often the case with Milly's books, there are a few characters but it wasn't confusing. There's Leni, who owns the fabulous teashop on the corner but who also seems to be hiding something despite her friendly facade, Molly, who's husband left her years ago but is he about to make an unwelcome appearance and Carla, who thinks her life has just ended but it's really just beginning...

I liked all the characters and their stories were absorbing. As always, Milly has created a true cast of Yorkshire folk and you can't help but root for them! I loved the teashop on the corner and I wish there was somewhere like it, near where I live!

There are some sad elements to this book, especially the opening, and I wasn't sure I was going to like it. It's not my favourite of hers but still very enjoyable. If you want a light story, that will keep you reading then this is for you!

The Son-in-Law
The Son-in-Law
by Charity Norman
Price: 4.92

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 21 July 2014
This review is from: The Son-in-Law (Paperback)
I tried to read 'After the fall' by Charity Norman some time ago and couldn't get along with it. I picked this up as the synopsis looked brilliant (I'm a huge Jodi Picoult fan) but it was with some trepidation that I finally started it.

The story follows a family torn apart by tragedy. Joseph killed his wife Zoe, seemingly in a fit of rage, witnessed by his three children. Fast forward four years and he's out of prison. He wants to see his children but Zoe's parents, who have been raising them, are not so keen...

I was totally absorbed in the book from the start and felt a range of emotions. I don't normally like books which change viewpoints but this worked so well. There were chapters from Hannah (the grandmother), Joseph and Scarlett (the eldest daughter.) The book really made me question family dynamics and what I would do in such a situation. My favourite character by far was Freddie (the grandfather). He was like grandparents should be!

This book made me sob my eyes out at the end and it's a long time since I have felt that about a novel. It gripped me - I thought about it when I wasn't reading it and worried about how it might all turn out.

A fabulous book for an afternoon reading (don't plan on doing anything else) or for a book club. I LOVED it!!!

Russell Hobbs 20740 Buckingham 2-Slice Toaster, Silver
Russell Hobbs 20740 Buckingham 2-Slice Toaster, Silver
Price: 22.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Good toaster, 20 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We usually buy cheap toasters and change them often (our previous one was 8) so were thrilled when we were given the chance to test this one. Lots of toast get consumed in our house so anything which made it quicker was surely going to be a bonus!

As you would expect with a Russell Hobbs product it was well packaged and felt sturdy. The toaster itself is quite a large size to say its only two slices so might be a problem if you only have a small kitchen. It has a defrost function which is handy if you want to toast from frozen bread (it's not something we will use though). The crumb tray is brilliant. So easy to take out and clean compared to others we have had.

Now for the toasting... We do find it a little temperamental. 2 stars is warm bread, 2.5 is burnt. It's taken some testing to get it just right. I absolutely love the deep slots as we have bagels on a morning and I like that it 'pops up' further. No more burnt fingers! The toast is also ready pretty quickly.

All in all, we do like it but I'm not sure if it's worth the 30. If it lasts it may well be, but only time will tell.

You Can't Scare Me I Have 2 Daughters Fathers Day Birthday Gift Premium Quality Thick Rubber Mouse Mat Pad Soft Comfort Feel Finish
Offered by Snuggle
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, 2 July 2014
Bought this for my dad for Father's Day and it was really well received.

The mouse mat itself feels well made and the writing is clear. It's also reasonably thick which I imagine would make it easy to use.

It now has pride of place in my dad's office. Highly recommended.

Regatta Womens Lady Juniper Ankle Height Wellingtons Yellow
Regatta Womens Lady Juniper Ankle Height Wellingtons Yellow
Offered by Outdoor Look
Price: 13.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual wellies, 2 July 2014
I bought these wellies for my nana for her upcoming birthday. She loves gardening and I thought these were really unusual.

They arrived today and look great. As you would expect from Regatta they look like they are well made. The colours work well and are a bit different, without being too out there. I also love the height of them - I think I might even purchase some for myself!

My only disappointment is that they aren't boxed. This is my fault for not checking but as they're for a birthday present, it would have been nice. They also smell awful but guess that's to be expected with wellies!

I like them and I hope they are received well.

I Am The Secret WAG: The True Story of my Life as an England Footballer's Wife
I Am The Secret WAG: The True Story of my Life as an England Footballer's Wife
by The Secret WAG
Price: 3.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Addictive but irritating, 30 Jun 2014
I picked this up quite cheaply as I was in the mood for a light read. I must admit, I like a bit of gossip and was intrigued about what secrets would be revealed!

The book is a bit like an autobiography by the secret WAG and I would love to know who she is! There were definitely some interesting moments in the book and I found myself racing through it.

It irritated the hell out of me though! She moaned about being in the public eye but seemed to relish it really. What annoyed me the most was how she insisted in not being money orientated but dropped brand names left, right and centre. Also, her constant use of 'my man' drove me insane!

This is not a high brow read but is entertaining enough to pass a couple of hours. Worthy of a beach read.

MEL Womens Fresh Special Peep-Toe
MEL Womens Fresh Special Peep-Toe
Price: 20.90 - 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE these shoes!, 30 Jun 2014
I came across these shoes in Schuh and instantly fell in love with them. I have the pink pair with a black heart.

They are so comfy and fit really well. I have wide feet but this isn't a problem. They also smell great - of raspberry.

I love them so much I have just bought the yellow ones. I don't think they're ever going to be off my feet!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20