Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Hemel Hempstead, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Newnes Engineering Mathematics Pocket Book (Newnes Pocket Books)
Newnes Engineering Mathematics Pocket Book (Newnes Pocket Books)

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought it twice, 10 Nov 2014
So good I bought it twice.

I have had a hard back version sitting in my office as a useful reference tool for years, ever since university and as you would expect it's pretty timeless. Now however, after a bit of a hunt, I also have a Kindle version so I have it at my fingertips wherever I am. Marvellous!

I’m not a mathematician I don’t use maths every day, which is why I need this sort of book to remind me of the formulas. It’s one of those books that will nudge anyone who need a reminder and guide those “studying mathematics within NVQ’s and GNVQ’s, National and Higher National technician certificates and diplomas, GCSE and A levels and for Engineering degree courses”, or so it says in my version of the book.

Areas covered:
Number and algebra
Mensuration
Geometry and trigonometry
Graphs
Vectors
Complex numbers
Matrices and determinants
Boolean algebra and logic circuits
Differential calculus

La Vogue 3-Piece Yoga Fitness Sweatshirt Jogging Suit Tracksuit Grey L
La Vogue 3-Piece Yoga Fitness Sweatshirt Jogging Suit Tracksuit Grey L
Offered by Prada Infusion d'Iris

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh where in the world is large that small?, 10 Nov 2014
I'm a big girl (size 18), it's true, so I checked the size guide and went for one that would be 'size appropriate'. Ha! Right! The trousers are fine; the top will just about pass but the third part, the 'bra'/halter top part, not a chance. Even when I was a skinny thing that halter top wouldn't have fit. You need to be tiny in the chest area and I'm not and never was. I put it on and laughed my socks off when I took a look. Apart from giving me a sore neck it was indecent and that's the politest thing I can say.

The fabric is lovely and soft to the touch and beautifully flexible, good thing really. The cut is nice and it hangs well, even off a larger lady, but forget the third part of the outfit if you are heavy in the chest area because you will do yourself an injury! No support, the size is too small for us larger girls and it's really hard to get into. Just ditch it and enjoy the rest of the outfit.

Fostering Love (The Soul Sisters Series Book 1)
Fostering Love (The Soul Sisters Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly satisfying read!, 10 Nov 2014
A truly satisfying read!
I have to admit this sort of book isn't really where my tastes lay as a rule but I sat down and found myself relating to the characters even though I actually have very little in common with them. I started rooting for their futures, getting upset to the point of tears with the bad stuff, cheering the good staff, feeling the 'right' tingle with the saucy stuff and really wanting to deck a couple of the main characters on occasions because they were being so stupid. I got really sucked into their lives it was that accessible, that human.
I could summaries the story but why spoil your journey through the book, but it is a really fun and satisfying read if you let yourself dive in there.
I'm counting down the days until book 2 is out!

Rotary Men's Mechanical Watch with White Dial Analogue Display and Black Leather Strap GS02522/01
Offered by Watches2U

2.0 out of 5 stars Keeps breaking, but it's sooo beautiful!, 31 Oct 2013
I write with great frustration regarding this watch. It's a beautiful watch, elegant, refined and a delight to wear, BUT it keeps breaking, hence the two stars.

I've had two of these watches so far. The mechanism didn't self-wind ever, the manual wind worked for a while then stopped and the final straw came when the minute hand began to intermittently swing free. Yet we were willing to risk it all a third time for a replacement.... it's just that nice a watch.

So, one day when this watch has finally fixed all its bugs and works properly we may well come back for another go, but right now, unless you want a wrist ornament not a watch, buy something else. And I say that with a sad heart because it's such a lovely watch, when it works.

EssÍncia
EssÍncia

4.0 out of 5 stars An amazing talent mixed poorly, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: EssÍncia (MP3 Download)
I stumbled across Jotta A on You Tube on a Brazilian talent show. I have no idea how I ended up there but when I watched his performance I was blown away. This kid has an amazing voice and passion, well beyond his years, the trouble is this album really doesn't show off the power and passion, just the voice.

If you like gospel music, in Brazilian (I assume) you will love this, it is full of love and joy. I just hope the ham-fisted mixing/balancing of the production company will be corrected in future recording by this chap so we can experience his true talent.

I would give Jotta A a five star rating but I've marked it down because the rotten mixing on Agnus Dei. Watch the YouTube clip and see what I mean, worlds apart!

Brown Reindeer Antlers
Brown Reindeer Antlers
Offered by Fancy Dressed Party

1.0 out of 5 stars Break too easily, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: Brown Reindeer Antlers (Toy)
I bought these for my son to use during his school play. They were worn for no other reason or time. They lasted one performance and broke in his hands when removing them. They had to be held together with sticky tape for the second performance. It looked like the plastic shattered. Now this could have just been a defective pair but as these are the only ones I can comment on I can only say, go to your local party shop and buy them there, at least then you can check them out before you buy them.

Browne's Rose and Violet Creams in Dark Chocolate (260 g)
Browne's Rose and Violet Creams in Dark Chocolate (260 g)

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing taste and texture, 2 Mar 2011
I bought these as a present and as part of a taste test for future purchases, see the 'Luxury Chocolate Rose & Violet Cream' by J & A Ferguson for my review and results of the taste test. Basically these chocolates failed.

Summary for these chocolates:

Packaging: okay but mine was dirty and covered in a partially ripped off label.
Chocolate: nice, just shy of bitter.
Fondant: hard, like a Bendicks Bittermint.
Flavour: weak.

From the results of the taste test performed by my mother and I, we will NOT be buying these in future.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Winner of the taste test (by my mother and I), 24 Feb 2011
I ordered these and another box available from Amazon, by Browne's, to see which ones to order in future. My mother and I, lovers of rose and violet creams for more years than we care to state, loved these chocolates and found the other very bland. So if you want rose and violet creams with a very satisfying taste, these are the ones to buy.

Results of test:
Packaging: Rectangular box. One layer only. Individual sweet cups for each one. (Browne's: Round box. One layer. Chocolates packed on the diagonal leaning on one another. The box is very nice but mine was dirty and covered in a partially removed sticker. I have to clean it up before I felt I could hand it over as part of a present)

Chocolate: At room temperature (mid Feb) the dark chocolate, of both brands, cracks as you bite into them.

Fondant: Smooth, soft and slightly runny. If you bite into the chocolate it will slowly ooze onto your fingers. Fun if you like licking your fingers. (Browne's: solid fondant, consistency of a Bendicks Bittermint)

Flavour: Chocolate for both brands was very nice, strong and bordering on bitter; it's the fondant that makes this one the winner. The flavour of the fondant was wonderful, some of the best we have ever tasted. The flavour is true, distinct and as strong as you would want for a subtle, floral taste. The violet is definitely violet, the rose is definitely rose, and both flavours are delicious. (Browne's are bland in comparison. The flavours are there but indistinct and faint.)

Cost: Nearly half the price of the Browne's chocolates, when I purchased them in Feb 2011. The Browne's weighed more, but I put that down to the solid fondant as I don't think there were any more individual chocolates. (although I could be wrong here because I didn't count them.)

Summary: My mother and I found these chocolates to be beautifully tasty while still being subtle. The Browne's chocolates took subtle too far and lost the flavour along the way. It's a no brainer for us, we will be buying these chocolates, without question.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2011 11:23 PM BST

A4 Paper Guillotine Cutting Machine/Cutter/Chopper
A4 Paper Guillotine Cutting Machine/Cutter/Chopper
Offered by CameraKing

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay trimmer but NO PAPER CLAMP, 25 Jun 2009
I purchased this guillotine because I thought it would address my large paper trimming problems. With the paper guide I thought I was getting an aid that would help make sure all my papers were the same size. Hmmmm..... It does, sort of, but.....!

1. There is no paper clamp to ensure the paper is kept in place while you cut. Yes you can use fingers and I have but I ended up making a makeshift paper 'clamp' to help me hold the larger pieces of paper in place while I cut them. I found I ended up with slightly wobbly cuts without it.

2. The paper aligner supplied is wonky. So the part joining the guillotine is the only useful bit because the rest tapers off to the left and if used would ruin the right angle needed for my pages.

The cutting blade is fine. The construction okay for the price but for the want of a piece of tough plastic to guide and hold the paper this would be a great little guillotine but without them I can't recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2012 3:11 PM BST

Books Unbound: 20 Innovative Bookmaking Projects
Books Unbound: 20 Innovative Bookmaking Projects
by Michael Jacobs

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring take on known bookbinding skills, 17 Jan 2009
I got this one for Christmas and had a huge, silly grin on my face all day!

This book is packed with ideas, build instructions and some very clever, beautiful and on occasions completely bizarre examples. I have to say a few of the examples are just plain weird but the ideas are great and to be fair most of the examples are outstanding.

A lot of the ideas in here, if you've been making books for a while, will not be new to you however the way they have been applied maybe. It's a book of pure inspiration, magic projects and great colour pictures, which I prefer to use to work out how the book has been created rather than read the instructions.

The project instructions give you a rough make time (their idea of 45 minutes and mine are slightly different), a list of materials, sizes, tools, etc and written instructions on how to make the project. There are also diagrams to help along the way. The written instructions are absolutely fine but I found the diagrams gave me all I needed to know when I needed a prompt.

Get this book if your skills as a book maker are at intermediate levels and above. If you are an absolute beginner and what to see what you can be doing after mastering a few of the basic skills, buy this book. If you just like to see another person's take on accordion, stitch bound, origami pockets books and boxes to put them in to, go no further.

This is a great book!