Profile for Martin Daly > Reviews

Content by Martin Daly

Martin Daly (edinburgh, scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
We Are All Made of Glue
We Are All Made of Glue
by Marina Lewycka

2.0 out of 5 stars Lewycka unstuck, 31 July 2014
What a let down after "Tractors" and "Caravans". I felt that the author was resting very much on her laurels after her previous novels. It was lazily written,cliched and poorly researched- particularly in respect of how estate agents and social workers go about their work. A huge suspension of disbelief was called for at almost every stage of the story, as the unlikely incidents piled up and our supposedly intelligent heroine's knees turned to mush every time a rugby playing Lothario looked in her direction.The story staggers along in fits and starts, and I had great difficulty getting to the end, as I'm sure the author did too.

McMafia: Seriously Organised Crime
McMafia: Seriously Organised Crime
by Misha Glenny

5.0 out of 5 stars The New Dark Ages, 31 July 2014
This book is a brilliant elucidation of the neo liberal experiment known as Globalisation and all its consequences........and it aint finished yet. Glenny links all the disastrous political and financial moves from the time of Reagan and Thatcher, and shows how the fallout from financial deregulation and the wild western free for all that hit the former Soviet Union and the rest of the Eastern block countries like a tsunami, had tragic consequences for millions of vulnerable poor people, although it was a bonanza for predators able to adapt to quickly changing conditions.A tragic and anger making account of capitalism as cataclysm.

Home [DVD] [2009]
Home [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Yann Arthus-Bertrand
Offered by ForgottenMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Viewing/Caveat Emptor!, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Home [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Be careful: this is a French language version of the film, with no menu option for English or subtitles.
Stunning imagery of the highest quality, accompanied by a very good soundtrack, occasionally overwhelmed by the slightly intrusive commentary by Glenn Close (in the english version) which is worthy but insistent. The barrage of facts and statistics on how we are destroying our home planet can become a bit grating at times and there is no facility for turning off the commentary and keeping the music. It reminded me of "Koyaanisquatsi", but with an almost unneccessary (at times) lecture going on in the background.
5 stars for the photography alone.

VicTsing Portable Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Stereo Speaker, AAC APTX with Build-in Microphone for CD Quality Sound and Support Hands-Free Calls

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect travelling companion, 28 July 2014
This little speaker has superb audio quality and can be turned up to high volume with little discernible distortion. It's lightweight and compact - ideal for taking on holiday. Good battery life too.

TESCO HUDL
TESCO HUDL

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor battery life, 28 July 2014
This review is from: TESCO HUDL (Personal Computers)
I bought this for travelling with and as partial replacement for my Kindle. As a tablet it's not bad, as an E-Reader it's OK too, but it will not hold a charge if unused for a few days and takes forever to recharge. You can pick these up nearly new at eg Cash Generator for about £60 which seems like much better value than shelling out £119 at Tesco.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2014 3:56 PM BST

Life of Pi
Life of Pi
by Yann Martel

2.0 out of 5 stars Writing by numbers, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Life of Pi (Paperback)
My first reaction as I read this book was that the author's first language is clearly not English. His writing is clunky and the book is less than the sum of its stitched together parts. I was left dissatisfied after finishing it - I found it incoherent and muddled, and felt that it needed a good editor to sift out the padding, as well as clearly draw out the central themes and "message" of the story. As poor writing goes, it's up there with "Shadow Of The Wind" and "The Book Thief". Avoid them all.

Make Em Like It
Make Em Like It

5.0 out of 5 stars Subversive, angry and funny, 4 May 2014
This review is from: Make Em Like It (Audio CD)
Great band who don't take themselves too seriously, yet manage to get your feet tapping, and suddenly you can't get their stuff out of your head when you're out of your head.......where was I?

Two Caravans
Two Caravans

4.0 out of 5 stars The Slave Trade, 21st Century style, 30 April 2014
This review is from: Two Caravans (Kindle Edition)
This is a poignant and well written novel about economic migrants and refugees forced into virtual slavery in brave new neo-liberal Britain. It will shock many readers in its depiction of the abuses both people and animals have to endure in order to provide us with cheap food. It is a savage critique of the tawdry slum and divided society Britain has become.That said, there are also some well observed set piece comic moments of farcical absurdity, as well as likeable and sympathetic characters, not to mention several vile gangmasters and gangsters. Better than her first novel, which I also enjoyed a lot.

Life After Life
Life After Life

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a novel Jim,but not as we know it......, 30 April 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
By the time I'd reached page 150 I'd lost the will to live, so I died and quickly arranged to be reborn in order to give myself a new life story and find a better book - one with structural coherence and less like a shallow pastiche of AS Byatt's "The Children's Book". This was the second time I'd tried and failed to enjoy an Atkinson novel. I'll admit to finishing "Behind The Scenes At The Museum", but I did not enjoy it at all, and again came away asking myself what other readers get from her work. The book is a series of possible/alternative vignettes from family life of a prosperous middle class Edwardian bunch,jumping back and forth in time, but not really going anywhere other than to suggest that there are many alternative lives we might have lived given the chance.The narrative structure is frustrating because the author intrudes everywhere,constantly stopping and jumping to another time, just as things seem about to develop.I am now planning to go back in time to see to it that Kate Atkinson's mum and dad never meet..........

Original Sony Stereo Headset MH410C Earphone Microphone 3.5mm Audio Plug Black
Original Sony Stereo Headset MH410C Earphone Microphone 3.5mm Audio Plug Black
Offered by Olympus International Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Bargain, 15 April 2014
These come with the Xperia E1, and compare very favourably with my Creative earphones, as well as easily surpassing at least a good half dozen other well known brands I have tried. For the price these are an absolute steal. They also perform well on other brands of phone and MP3 player. Excellent value for such a low price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9