Profile for karen Bicknell > Reviews

Content by karen Bicknell

karen Bicknell (Europe)

The Hairy Bikers' Asian Adventure: Over 100 Amazing Recipes from the Kitchens of Asia to Cook at Home
Price: 9.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 7 Mar 2014
A wonderful book with great photos, and wonderful mix of recipes that are easy to follow. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because there is no index of recipes in the kindle edition so to find recipes you have to go thought the whole book.

Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food
Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food
Price: 7.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful mix of recipes, 11 Jan 2014
I would have given this 5 stars, but having bought the kindle edition, I am really disappointed that there is no index.
The way the book is written, you get a ' proper' feel of Tom's personality and passion for the food he loves. So many twists on classic combinations, it is a real joy.
The popcorn cockles went down well in our house, and the chocolate ale cake is to die for. I can't wait for the next book.

Chocolate Bible (Le Cordon Bleu)
Chocolate Bible (Le Cordon Bleu)
by Le Cordon Bleu
Price: 20.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Chocoholics beware!!, 5 Mar 2012
I bought this book, as I wanted a challenge having never really been a great baker. I had a look inside the book, and having seen the list of cakes and biscuit recipes, decided it would cover a large area of desserts to learn. I have always been a confident 'savoury' cook, but never been that keen on eating or making deserts and cakes. I started with a biscuit recipe for orange biscuits dipped in chocolate - the lightest crumbliest biscuits ever. I then moved on to tuille biscuits, and chocolate souffle. Because every recipe was such a success, I decided on making 'The Marvel' - amazing. If you want to know more buy the book. I would say the book is definately for the more confident cook, but with full illustrations on techniques from lining tart tins to tempering chocolate, it is a great book for anyone who wants to gain confidence and learn along the way. Be warned, you'll eat more chocolate than ever before!!!

Jack LaLanne Power Juicer Elite
Jack LaLanne Power Juicer Elite

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic juicer, 14 May 2007
I was a little sceptical at spending so much on a juicer, but having had this one for 10 days I am amazed at what can be done. With this machine there is no real waste, extracting as much juice as possible from each item, and with only having to wash most fruit and veggies before juicing,its quick and easy, no need to stone plums and cherries. I live abroad with an abundance of fruit and veg,we can have fresh juice to hand every day.

The option of making your own milk was a revolation as we don't like cow's milk, but can now use almonds and coconut(have'nt tried the rice yet),to create great drinks, sauces and curries.

A little on the large side if you are pushed for work space but very quiet and very easy to use.

If you find it hard to have your 5 a day, which I certainly did, now its easy, and so many different combinations to try.

Highly recommended.