Profile for D. A. Campbell > Reviews

Content by D. A. Campbell

D. A. Campbell (Stirling, Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Apple iPod classic 160GB - Black - 6th Generation
Apple iPod classic 160GB - Black - 6th Generation

5.0 out of 5 stars Three years of good solid service so far, 17 Sep 2013
I have had my iPod classic for over 3 years now. I use it almost daily and have had no problems with it apart from the extremely rare occasion where it hangs and must be reset. I use it in-car, through both good headphones and ear-buds and have also docked it to various devices including my compatible AV amp. I have gradually added my music collection to it and still have 30GB free of the original 160GB. Sound quality is fine but volume a little low through the headphone socket. Obviously there is no wireless connection to any on-line storage services or streaming services such as Spotify etc, but do still consider buying this device if you have a substantial music collection which you must always have access to.

iGadgitz Silicone Skin Case Cover with Screen Protector and Lanyard for Apple iPod Classic 80GB, 120GB & Latest 6th Generation 160gb launched Sept 09 + Screen Protector & Lanyard - Black
Offered by iGadgitz

4.0 out of 5 stars Has been protecting my iPod for 3 years, 17 Sep 2013
I was surprised to read a recent review of this product where the reviewer thought it was flimsy and a poor buy. I can say that I have had this case for 3 years now and it is fully intact with the screen protector in place too. Just a matter of preference whether you like the rubbery feel or not. A good buy

Better Sound - Extra Long - Dock connector to Car stereo Auxiliary AUX-IN Cable for Apple iPod Touch (All Generations) - 3.5MM JACK Line Out Audio Lead - Length : 2m/6.5ft - High Grade - 12 Month Warranty
Offered by MACRO.SUPPLIER

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent in-car adapter lead for iPod, 17 Sep 2013
I purchased this lead so that I could use my iPod classic in-car via a a 3.5 mm stereo-in jack attached to my car stereo. My previous lead stopped working after a year or two. This one is better made and seems more tolerant of the rigors of in-car use.

Ikra Flexotrim ATHS-2440 24V Lithium Ion Cordless Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Ikra Flexotrim ATHS-2440 24V Lithium Ion Cordless Long Reach Hedge Trimmer

4.0 out of 5 stars Efficient & cordless but a little unwieldy, 17 Sep 2013
I have a problematic front hedge to maintain and on the basis of existing reviews this item seemed provide a good solution. The telescopic section gives you a long reach - I estimate it gives me up to 10 feet when used with the shoulder harness. However I found the telescopic section difficult to adjust - it really needs to be tightened up securely if the cutting head is not come off when the blade gets snagged. Consequently I have just tightened it up at a useful length and left it at that. The unit can also easily disengage from the harness when moving the unit from horizontal to vertical or vice versa and after 10-15 minutes of use the weight of the unit can cause some fatigue and a few minutes break - spent clearing up cuttings - is called for. However compared to some petrol-powered units it is considerably cheaper and I can get 1hr cutting time from one charge on the battery at the high-speed setting. I rate this as a good overall buy.

TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT AV500 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with Two Ethernet Ports, Starter Kit/Twin Pack (Easy Configuration, Wi-Fi Clone for Smartphone/Tablets/Laptop)

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked out of the box, 17 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Taking the product from the box and networking it to my BT router via the WPS button was straightforward. However I had two existing TPLink 200 modules which I wanted to use with the new kit and that procedure was slighty more convoluted. I had to reset the two TP Link 200 modules and then pair these to the WPA4220 using the buttons on the bottom. I used the supplied console management console software on the CD to make the old units visible to the new kit. This involved adding hardware addresses of the units which are stickered oto them. After an hour or two experimenting, the old and new kit worked together OK. I like the ability to use wired ethernet connection with the WPA4220 - 2 100mb ports provided which can give greater flexibility if you have some non-WiFi kit. The management console software can also be used to monitor which devices are connected to the WPA4220. I found that it I had to disconnect and connect my laptop again to connect via the extender rather than direct to my BT router even thoufgh the WPA4220 was in closer proximity.

Apocalypse Now (3-disc Special Edition including Hearts of Darkness) [Blu-ray] [1979]
Dvd ~ Martin Sheen
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars This BluRay is an essential purchase for fans of the movie, 12 Jun 2011
Probably the most important detail about this 3-disc release is the presentation of the original cut of the film in its correct 2.35:1 aspect ratio. This, together with the improved picture detail and color saturation, gives a spectacular film event. Although the picture can seem soft and muddy in some scenes, in others - at the Do Lung Bridge for example - it is quite beautiful. Sound presentation is outstanding - a case of beer well deserved for those involved. Among the extras on disc is the superb Hearts of Darkness documentary and there are also two cool booklets, including a copy of the original movie program. Overall, a very well presented and entirely indispensable set.

Sony MDREX38IPB.CE7 In-Ear Headphones with In-Line iPod Remote Control
Sony MDREX38IPB.CE7 In-Ear Headphones with In-Line iPod Remote Control
Offered by London Deals

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but some issues with sound quality, 15 Mar 2011
I bought these to use with my iPod Classic 160 GB while travelling. I find them comfortable to wear and the remote works fine although slightly awkward because of its position. Since it is attached to the left cable you can tell at a glance which earpiece goes in which ear, which is useful. Sound quality is problematic as the upper-mid to high frequencies can sound harsh - particularly on percussion instruments such as hi-hats, crash cymbals and tambourines. Voices can also be quite sibilant. However on acoustic music - pianos, guitars strings - they can sound sweet. I have gone through all the EQ settings on the iPod and the 'Loudness' setting appears to mitigate the problem a little. I do know that the headphone output on an iPod is not the best quality sound source but I regularly use a pair of Sennheiser HD25 II cans with the iPod and the sound quality through these is fine - however these are too bulky to travel with. So overall the Sonys are OK but if you are fussy about sound quality you should look elsewhere. I may well investigate the Westone UM1s at some point in the future.

Digital Additions® iPhono Cable for Apple Media Players (Fits:iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch, iPod Classic, iPod Photo)
Offered by Digital Additions Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy cable, 3 Feb 2011
The cable seems sturdy enough - especially at the iPod dock end and looks like it will last for a while. The cable is long enough - well over 1m - with gold-plated phono plugs. My only gripe is that the casing for both plugs are white with barely visible lettering to distinguish between L & R channels. This is fine if you are not going to be doing a lot of plugging and un-plugging of the cable. My cable plugs into the AV connection in the front panel of the AV amp and do I want to disconnect the cable when not in use. A small red elastic band round the right phono solved the problem! Recommended.

Soldier's Tale, Octet etc./Adagio/Chamber Sym No.1
Soldier's Tale, Octet etc./Adagio/Chamber Sym No.1

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally after 35 years, a very welcome appearance on CD., 20 Jan 2011
I attended a performance of Stravinsky's Soldier's Tale in the early `80's. I was so taken with the piece that I rushed out to buy a copy on vinyl and this was the only version I could get hold of at the time. The original DG recording was issued in 1975 and this is the first time to my knowledge that it has been remastered to CD. It sounds marvellous. The sound is dynamic and detailed with little noticeable hiss. The spoken parts were actually recorded separately from the musicians and this gave the producer control over placement of voices in the sound stage. However, it does sound a little artificial at times with spoken parts sometimes hard-panned to left or right. Newcomers to this recording might find the voice parts very mannered with Ron Moody's devil being plain manic at times. Tom Courtenay as the soldier is alright but Sir John Gielgud as narrator works very well. It is down to Gielgud to portray the emotions felt by the soldier - particularly the despair when the soldier realises what he has lost.

This set is great value with a second CD containing some other Stravinsky pieces for small ensemble and very good sleeve notes are provided. My only (very minor) gripe is that the striking cover art of the original DG vinyl issue has not been used here.

If you loved the original vinyl recording then this is an absolutely essential purchase.

Nero Multimedia Suite 10 (PC)
Nero Multimedia Suite 10 (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars No longer essential., 20 Jan 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I first started using Nero over 10 years ago when it was bundled free with my CD rewriter. I used it for burning CDs and later DVDs when I bought a DVD burner. I liked the interface and continued to use it as it was free. However, over the years Ahead Software has tried to broaden the appeal of their product by including various multimedia and backup programs. Consequently the started charging a fair amount for it. I thought I would look at the latest version to see what it had to offer as my old version would not work with Win 7 64-bit. Firstly I notice it still doesn't allow iso or nrg image files to be mounted on a virtual ROM device - not with Win7 or Vista anyway. I downloaded a free piece of software to do this. As far as burning discs is concerned, I rarely ever do this now- like most people I suspect. ImgBurn (free) gives as much functionality as I require. The included audio editor is OK I suppose, but you might as well download Audacity (free), but there are no surround facilities with Audacity There are various backup programs for free - even Windows has a basic backup facility which might be fine for some people. It all hinges on whether you want to use the other multimedia apps to convert and view video content. The best that can be said about this Nero suite is that it gathers a number of useful programs together in one place - but at a price. If you know what functions you want have a trawl round the internet to see what is available for free or for little cost.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7