Profile for Leshaz > Reviews

Leshaz

Page: 1 | 2
The Songs Of Distant Earth
The Songs Of Distant Earth

5.0 out of 5 stars you tend to either like Mike Oldfield works or not but I've been a ..., 11 Nov. 2014
As has been said, you tend to either like Mike Oldfield works or not but I've been a fan for many years and have a got quite a few CDs and some old Vinyl. This one, however, somehow crept under the radar!
Listening to the radio one Sunday morning, "In the beginning/let there be light was played" but was not credited. Recognising that guitar style immediately I looked it up and within a few days I was playing the CD endlessly.
This is a superb CD that really gets under your skin. I find myself "subconsciously" humming the melodies (and the odd familiar one creeps in) in my mind, mantra like, all day long.There is a transcendent quality that takes you on a journey somewhere else. A bit cliche (ish) but there you are. Brilliant.

Opticron Adventurer WP 10x42 Green Binocular
Opticron Adventurer WP 10x42 Green Binocular
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras

3.0 out of 5 stars Opticron 10x42 Price?, 29 Aug. 2014
I thought it would be worth commenting that when researching these binos, that Opticron (who I have a lot of respect for) advertise these binos on their own web site priced at £89.00
I've given them 3 stars (had to rate them) as cannot imagine them being anything less than this, and probably more.

TP-Link TL-WN821NC 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter
TP-Link TL-WN821NC 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars TP-Link TL-WN821NC, 16 Aug. 2014
Bought this as a replacement for an old PCI Ralink RT61 (g) type network card that I suspected was a bit of a bottleneck. Installed this, which was as easy as ABC and bingo - instant improvement. Because of the diatance from the exchange my connection speed is not particularly good by modern standards but pages now load up much more quickly and smoothly. For the price this is a good upgrade. Happy bunny.

AGFA Selecta 14 Digital Camera (14.1MP, 15x Wide Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD
AGFA Selecta 14 Digital Camera (14.1MP, 15x Wide Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars A great camera at a bargain price, 22 July 2013
I was looking for a replacement for my worthy but increasingly temperamental 2005 5Mp Fuji S5600 (bridge) camera.
I wanted something that fitted well in my hands without being too small or over large. I wanted a camera whose essential controls were on the outside - ie not entirely menu driven. I wanted a decent zoom (s5600 is 10x) and a degree of manual control. The other thing was that I was on a modest budget. I had looked at a couple of compacts and then happened on the Agfa and took the plunge for a staggeringly cheap £55.00
The Agfa Selecta 14 is identical in almost all respects to the General Electric GE X5 camera - the difference being purely cosmetic. Though the illustrious Agfa company that I remember from way back is no more - I like the fact the new company has kept the brand identity and the camera bears that famous orange shutter button.
There are more reviews on the GE X5 than the Agfa (worth a look) and it seems that it polarises opinion a lot. Some instantly rubbish it - others heap praise upon it. I’m very much with the latter.
The main criticisms are that its slow and that its focus/picture quality is poor.
Regarding slow - standard start up time is reasonable. If you take time to go into the menus and turn off unnecessary default settings - start up is quick. Regarding focus - I turned off the constant autofocus - just touch the shutter button - the focus indicator goes from red to green - snap. In the short time I’ve had the camera I’ve taken some amazing shots. A zoom photo from five yards of my dog - showed the detailed texture of her nose. Not everyones idea of a nice picture but I liked it. That focus is good enough for me. Likewise with landscapes - great colour, contrast and detail.
I used a Class 10 8MB SD card (holds over a 1000 shots on fine) and shot to card time is maybe just a tad slow (1-1.5secs?) but not really an issue. If you are into fast action shots - maybe this is not the camera for you - and if you are - I’d guess you would be looking at something with a much bigger price tag anyway.
The other criticism is the lens cap and Yes it does come off too easily and Yes someone in the design department wants dealing with about- but its a minor niggle and easily sorted!
Negatives out of the way.
Positives - Build quality is amazing - certainly the equal if not better than my Fuji - and though I had studied its dimensions its really compact and chunky, much smaller than the Fuji - great to hold. Controls are very similar to the Fuji (probably no coincidence) and very intuitive. Screen - certainly bright enough for most conditions (brightness adjustable or auto) - but if its too sunny or in places where the glow of the screen might offend (theatre?) you can switch to the EVF which is perfectly usable. (how many small cameras have an EVF?)
There is of course that that F3 (27mm - 405mm equivalent) 15x Tele lens which is pretty sharp. A little high contrast fringing but certainly no worse than its big name competitors.
This camera has apart from manual focus - full manual control options - which if you know just a little about photography, adds a whole dimension to taking photos. It has Program mode too. I would agree that the Auto mode sometimes gives bland rather than poor results. Program is much better. It has a whole host of scene and auto scene modes and a really good flash. The flash needs popping up before use - auto or otherwise. This is a bonus for me as on the Fuji it was automatic often when I didn’t want it!
Battery life is extraordinary. I’m still using the standard AAs that came with it - and thats with a lot of playing around with it. The Lithium AAs I’ve ordered should last an age.
Summing up - where will you find a camera that is built this well, gives this level of control,
and takes this quality of photo. The nearest to this is the Canon SX150 which is on offer in some places at £20 more and has lousy battery life. The newer version of this is the Selecta 16. Its has 16Mp but on the same sized sensor (so what the point?) and more scene modes and a higher price tag.
If you mainly want to simply point and shoot and are not fussed about anything else - perhaps you’re better looking at a Nikon/Panasonic/Canon etc compact. If you want to capture instant fast moving action - look at spending at least twice this price. If you want a great little camera that will bring out your creative side - this is real bargain.

PhotxPro TP39 - Professional Aluminium Photographic Tripod Plus Pro Joystick Trigger Grip Ballhead

5.0 out of 5 stars Photxpro Tripod & Trigger Grip Ballhead mount., 5 Jun. 2013
My trusty 21 year old Velbon tripod sadly gav up on me through fatigue and a little bit of abuse - and I needed a replacement to mount my old spotting scope and a couple of smallish astro scopes (70mm & 102mm)- so needed something with good build quality and a bit of weight.
A trigger grip ball head is not ideal for astro work but given that I have an EQ mount too I thought it worth the risk, especially at this price.
This tripod is brilliant. Really well built and very sturdy all metal construction and heavy - you wouldn't want to lug it around all day. I had a minor glitch with one of the leg clamps slipping - but given that these are all adjustable with an Allen key (!) everything was fine very quickly. The trigger grip ball head mount is similarly bullet proof and very sturdy and easy to use. Even with the 102 Mak on it (2.3 Kg with EP)it will sit perfectly solid pointing vertical. This is where this type of tripod is good because you can adjust each leg angle seperately to counter any weight offset.
Given that the tripod has standard fitting top plate - I can fit a different head in the future if I choose.
I was a bit unsure about when I ordered it - never heard of PhotxPro before - but for what you get - its just superb value for money.

Revelation 32.0mm Plossl Eyepiece 1.25"
Revelation 32.0mm Plossl Eyepiece 1.25"
Offered by Telescope House

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice eyepiece., 3 Mar. 2013
I needed a good low power eyepiece for wide field of view work and star hopping. Given that my Revelation 2.5 barlow is superb, I happily opted for this and it doesn't disappoint. Strong construction and great optics with 52 degree afov.I have to say that it looks and feels like a GSO eyepiece and performs like one and in all likelihood is a rebadged GSO - which if this is so - then within this price range you don't get much better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2013 2:40 PM BST

Red LED & White L.E.D. Multiposition Adjustable HEADTORCH Compact & Lightweight Bright Head Torch with Red & White Lights Ideal for Astronomy & Camping.
Offered by UKHobbyStore ~ PowerSaveBulbs UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value Headtorch, 3 Mar. 2013
Lets say from the beginning that this headtorch is not a Petzl Tikka BUT you are paying nothing like Petzl prices. Its a good solid feeling little torch that works well and is great value for money. (Even comes with batteries)Like others here I bought it mainly as an aid in astromical work and for that its fine. You get one central red LED and two white LEDs, one either side the red and is certainly bright enough to read a star atlas with, without being too bright.The switch is good in that one way is red light and the other way is white. You do not have to go through white to get to red which is useful in preserving night vision.
Packaging and delivery were spot on - impressed all round.

iPad for the Older and Wiser: Get Up and Running with Apple iPad2 and the New iPad (The Third Age Trust/Older & Wiser)
by Sean McManus

5.0 out of 5 stars Ipad guide for the Older and Wiser., 1 Nov. 2012
Bought this for my wife who is a slightly reluctant and unsure PC User, and has just got the new Ipad as a gift (lucky lady). The Ipad, even though designed to be user friendly is different from a PC. She has been delighted with this book and with its help now seems totally at home with the Ipad. Its well laid out, doesn't insult your intelligence but walks you through tasks in a very easy way. Brilliant. Highly reccommended.

tesa 50565 Aluminium Foil Tape, 50 mm x 25 m
tesa 50565 Aluminium Foil Tape, 50 mm x 25 m

5.0 out of 5 stars Tesa Foils Tape, 1 Nov. 2012
Ordered this tape to do a modification on my telescope, (No not the mirror) but have since used it for several repair jobs.Originally I wanted something narrower, but could't find anything. Need not have worried as this can easily be cut to size with scissors. This is really useful as although easily trimmed, is very strong and very sticky. Used in multilayers becomes very very strong. At the price you can'y go wrong. Delivery was also the usual prompt fuss free service.

HTC WILDFIRE 1300 mAh EXTENDED Li-ion LONG LIFE BATTERY
HTC WILDFIRE 1300 mAh EXTENDED Li-ion LONG LIFE BATTERY
Offered by MobySpares

3.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect battery but good service!, 28 July 2012
I ordered this battery for my wifes HTC Wildfire (Not Wildfire S). Very prompt delivery - but although initially the battery looked correct being the right physical size - it soon became clear that it wasn't right. The pin contacts were on the wrong side and even if the battery was reversed (to correct this) it was clear that the lugs on the bottom edge were different from the original and would not allow the battery to connect. Thats the bad news.
The reason I'm writing this review, is that contrary to another reviewer who had problems with Pronto Way I could not have had a better response. I was initially worried that because Amazon did not have details of Pronto Ways return policy I would have difficulties - but not so.
Pronto Way replied to my Email immediately, firstly suggesting how the battery could be installed, and then when it was clear that the battery was incorrect sent a second quick response informing me that I could keep the battery rather than return it and re-imbursed my account in full straight away.
After the initial problem Pronto Way could not have been fairer.
So, somewhat peculiarly - no battery - but good service!
Incidentally (for those wondering) the reason that I did not re-order from Pronto Way is that - anticipating problems - I immediately ordered a battery from somewhere else - which has not arrived yet.
Another lesson learned the hard way!
Thanks also to Amazons good services.

Page: 1 | 2