Profile for Bill Harris > Reviews

100 Ways to Fight the Flab - and still have wine and chocolate
100 Ways to Fight the Flab - and still have wine and chocolate
Price: 1.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun But Good Advice, 5 Jan 2013
A lightly written diet book which is downright funny in parts, but manages to give hard fact about dieting and nutrition in the true Wannabe style.

How NOT to Write a Novel: 200 Mistakes to avoid at All Costs if You Ever Want to Get Published
by Howard Mittelmark
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tips, well written., 29 Jan 2009
The authors' 30 years of experience shows. The tips are good and relevant, the writing witty and easy to read. It's certainly worth a place on my bookshelf beside Wannabe a Writer? which fills in the gaps this book misses. At last a couple books which don't talk down and make the process interesting.

by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivational!!, 12 May 2008
This review is from: On Writing (Paperback)
Having read On Writing when starting out, I was impressed by its honesty and how it motivated me. Years later, as a writer with my own portfolio of published work, I have read it again and found it still to be an enjoyable, honest and inspirational book about the joy and hardships of being a writer. I can think of only two other books so motivational: Journal of a Novel by John Steinbeck and Wannabe a Writer? by Jane Wenham-Jones.

by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 6 April 2008
This review is from: On Writing (Paperback)
I first came to this book when it was published, and I was not. Now, with my own portfolio of publications, I have returned to it and find it as interesting, insightful and honest as I did the first time around. This isn't a "nuts and bolts" book, it tells a writer's story, his experience, his success and failure. But crucially it motivates because of its honesty. On Writing isn't prescriptive like so many, it isn't dull like so many, it is very entertaining. I can think of only two books which have a similar motivational effect: Journal of a Novel, by John Steinbeck, and Wannabe a Writer? by Jane Wenham-Jones.