Profile for Finnster > Reviews

Dvd ~ Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 3.98

4.0 out of 5 stars A good film whoever you are, 28 Nov 2009
Firstly I must stipulate that the only reason I went to see this film was a UN job with the girlfriend (like most guys then) but it wasn't without some anticipation as having seen the trailer, it looked alright; and it was. A bit better than that actually.

The good thing about this film is that virtually anyone can relate to it in some way. While at first I thought the omniscient narrator and the jumping back and forth through the 500 days was gunna bug me 'here we go another stereotypical boy meets girl with just a different novelty format,' it was actually one of the best aspects of the film (the narrator soon buggers of after serving his purpose of introducing the main characters, probably not needed)as it allowed you to compare the different stages of their relationship in direct contrast to what it was, and then what it became. Probably the best example of this is when they're both in the record store and an old inside joke between the two went stale, making it clear the relationship was losing its fizz. This happily bucks the trend of the typical, tired, rom-com cliche of someone doing a big dump all over the roses, and is much more real to life, for some people perhaps too real? But we'll not go there :P

Indeed there are a lot of aspects of the relationship between the two main characters which are at times uncomfortably realistic of your own experiences (probably.) Take the part of him turning on its head all his pet likes into pet hates, bit obvoious, but anyone ever done that? We even all have friends like theirs. The chemistry between the two leads is for me the best part of this film and also the very realistic romance they have. You'll find something in this film you can relate to, maybe get a bit nostalgic even, until the ending.

The ending is the main reason why this doesn't have 5 stars, without going into it because obviously that would spoil the film... why? Because they couldn't resist. It's not a major "WHY?!?!" But it did bug me a bit. However that may just be me being pedantic, make your own mind up, good movie :)

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - (Xbox 360)
Offered by Super-bargains
Price: 13.25

5.0 out of 5 stars One of, if not THE best FPS, 22 Dec 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game off fat chris for 24.99 (offer ended I believe) as something to play over the christmas. If I'm honest I wasnt expecting to love it, maybe, definetly enjoy and the price definetly drew me. So I bought it, went round my mates and stuck it in his 360 (he has an HDTV)and the graphics blew me, they put all other first person shooters to shame, without fail. I got stuck into the campaign, which is typical of most FPS, fairly repetitive, not incredibly imaginative BUT entertaining, which it is.

Then I got home and played it online....WOAAA, how good is this! It was awesome, the mixture of graphics and the thrill and buzz of an FPS, which I'de been missing since Rainbow 6: Vegas, came back too me, and I could not stop playing. I then proceeded to play for 6 hours straight, non stop, going up ranks and unlocking more cool stuff. I am now a respectable rank and that is where the fun starts, hardcore maps online are INSANE (you generally die alot at first)and there are many different maps and game types to keep you amused for hours.

In conclusion from by my standards an epic review, and for those of you who aren't too bored by my anecdotes, this game is as good as, probably better than Rainbow 6: Vegas and blows all otherer FPS's out the water!

Halo 3: Limited Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)
Halo 3: Limited Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A GAME!, 6 Oct 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
In truth I went into this game with a little apprehension. And apprehension based on the fact that bungie may have spoiled such a hyped up game and so far great series. WELL THEY HAVEN'T! The game is brilliant, truly, brilliant. Visually it is stunning (especially if you own a HDTV) and the gameplay is just bang, bang, bang! Literally.
I think it is a good thing that Bungie have kept the campaign side of the game short and very sweet as it puts forward the best element of this game which is the online play.
In fact why am I sitting on my comp writing a review, I'm off to play

Buy and enjoy this game!

The Death of Kings (Emperor Series, Book 2)
The Death of Kings (Emperor Series, Book 2)
by Conn Iggulden

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining :), 2 Oct 2007
It's not oftern I give a book 5 stars, but I felt this one deserved it so I did. It is a well writen, fast moving (thankfully as historical based books can ramble on a bit) and a good mix between solid fact and pure fiction. Ceasar himself is a brilliant character as is the somewhat rascal brutus and both characters will keep you wanting to read more about them and more importantly empaphise with them when things go wrong, which in some books is hard to do.

All in all a great read and don't forget the sequel!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Children's Edition]
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Children's Edition]
by J. K. Rowling
Price: 14.69

5.0 out of 5 stars If your're a true fan...., 21 July 2007
If am writing this review after finishing the book (I feel I need to write my emotions down.) If you are a harry potter fan, and not some fool trying to be cool and 'out from the crowd' and looking to slag it off, which would be a complete waste of time, read this book and love it. You will cry, laugh and cry some more, I cried, not ashamed to admit it. This book is a great climax to an unforgettable series of books, to which it does justice. Un-putdownable, you will be propelled through an emotional rollercoaster unlike which I have never experienced with any other book. However, when you finish it (probably through tears) you will, if a true potter fan, feel lost and empty, but also strangely relieved and content, enjoy......
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2007 5:25 PM GMT

Lost in Translation [DVD] [2004]
Lost in Translation [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Bill Murray
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.04

5.0 out of 5 stars What a film, 20 May 2007
Being young I generally like more fast moving, action movies like 300, but somehow, when I watched this film, late one saturday night, it really seemed to move me. It was a while, ago before Scarlett Johansson was really big but I thought she gave an excellent performance as did Bill Murray and I don't think I've ever been so close to crying at the end of a movie. Probably my second favourite movie ever or even a joint first.

Also after watching this film, you'll want to eat some Japanese food, just warning you.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (Xbox 360)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gameseek
Price: 9.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible online!, 24 April 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The story mode for this game is rather soft to be honest, its predictable and not particularly imaginative mainly consisting of illiminating terrorists. DO NOT let this put you off, the gameplay involved is very good with a real tactical element coming into place both online and offlinea and the graphics backing this up. The online play is addictive, especially if you become involved with a clan and make some mates which is always possible no matter what skill level you are at.

All in all this game is a must buy, just beware of addiction!

Saints Row (Xbox 360)
Saints Row (Xbox 360)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC
Price: 21.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Game!....just a bit buggy, 29 Jan 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Saints Row (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
When i got this game i just couldnt wait to get on it and start testing out all the cool features i'de heard about off my mates,these include the ability to do soft drugs and drink alcohol as well as blow all your money on doing up cars with allmost NFS effects. All the hype didn't dissapoint, this game is awesome fun and a must buy for anyone who just cant wait for GTA4..however the only thing that lets this game down is that its prone to bugs (crashing, lag etc) and this can get rather annoying if you are in a car chase and the car suddenly disappears. Even this cloud has a silver lining as when it crashed, after restarting my 360 it said I'de completed a mission which I was half way throughcompleting when it crashed!