Profile for Brian Greenoff > Reviews

Content by Brian Greenoff

Brian Greenoff (Banff, Scotland.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Cry of the Mountain
Cry of the Mountain
Offered by RevisionNet
Price: 11.70

5.0 out of 5 stars magical amusing music, 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: Cry of the Mountain (Audio CD)
O.k.,it falls to me, an ignorant Englishman, to review this c.d. No,nonsense, I do not have the knowledge or the skill to review it, merely the mind to absorb and enjoy it. And believe me, enjoy it I do! Here are some wonderful compositions played by superb musicians. The tracks are pieces originally written for films or radio programmes, all with a very Irish flavour but each with it's own twist of wit and character. The music is infectious and quite impossible for me to describe. Except to say it is very, very good.

The In Crowd: The Story of Northern Soul
The In Crowd: The Story of Northern Soul

5.0 out of 5 stars bri's head revisited, 21 Feb 2013
It is fifty years since I used to dance the night away at the "Wheel", and this wonderful c.d. transports my head right back there. I can almost smell the soup and coffee and pastries, a scent that used to hit you as soon as you walked through those hallowed doors. I have transferred the tracks to my MP3 player so, when I take my morning walk to the beach there is quite a spring in my step. Not a bad track in sight.

100 Opera Classics
100 Opera Classics
Price: 22.61

5.0 out of 5 stars alladin's cave of music, 6 Dec 2012
This review is from: 100 Opera Classics (Audio CD)
To be honest, I was given this box set as a gift, and consider it perhaps the best present I ever received. The very fact that these are old and, therefore,imperfectly recorded tracks for me adds to their appeal. Such singers as Gigli and Caruso are featured along with a host of other greats. There is, almost inevitably in such a large number of great performances, one absolute golden turkey. Gentlemanly conduct stops me from naming names, but a listen to the last track on disc two will induce a cringe or three. This does not detract, and indeed in a way adds, to the hours of pleasure that awaits the purchaser.

The Dogs of Rome: An Alec Blume Novel (Commissario Alec Blume 1)
The Dogs of Rome: An Alec Blume Novel (Commissario Alec Blume 1)
by Conor Fitzgerald
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars fitzgerald fix, 7 Oct 2012
Having over the years devoured most all of the great 'tec novelists, I sometimes fear the supply is running dry. From the States I've done pretty much everyone from Hemmett, Chandler and Macdonald to Lawrence Block; from Scandanavia Per Wahloo - Maj Sjowall to Mankell and Larsson and from Italy Dibden and Camilleri to the wonderful Donna Leon. So it has been a wonderful surprise to find Conor Fitzgerald. Writing about Commissario Alec Blume he captures the feel of Italy from the food to the heat and the often unintentional humour of the people with the eye of the outsider, not unlike the Bloom of Joyce's Dublin.(Could the phonetic similarity in the names be intentional). His style also invokes memories of Dashiell Hemmett in it's unhurried build up of tension. I can now look forward to hunting down his other works for my future fixes.

Bad Connection
Bad Connection
Offered by JIVEHORNET
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars dr hector's psychotherapy, 27 April 2012
This review is from: Bad Connection (Audio CD)
I came late to this album having previously only heard one of the tracks, "Doing all the wrong things right" on a compilation tape. I downloaded it two weeks ago and have hardly stopped playing it since. It is sublime blues rock, great singing and great playing and at the download price it's a steal. Buy it! You will love it!

Blues Breakers
Blues Breakers
Price: 6.67

5.0 out of 5 stars unsurpassed British blues, 12 May 2011
This review is from: Blues Breakers (Audio CD)
I've had this recording on vinyl since I can't remember when. Must be closing on half a century. I used to see John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers with a succession of wonderful guitarists at the Twisted Wheel Club in Manchester. The best night ever though was when Clapton made his first appearance there with the band. I can still remember the seismic impact his playing had on me. The Freddie King covers, "Hideaway" and "Stepping out" are brilliant, but what moves me most is the staggeringly good solo on "Have you heard?" Eric, for me, has never bettered this album.

The Best of the Memphis Jug Band
The Best of the Memphis Jug Band
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 12.33

5.0 out of 5 stars foot tappin' good, 12 May 2011
If this music doesn't make you happy, call up an undertaker. You're dead! I would give anything to own a time machine so I could go back and listen to these guys boogie on down. Five stars aren't enough. Fabulous!

The Best of the Bothy Band
The Best of the Bothy Band
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars flawless folk, 23 April 2011
I actually live in an old salmon bothy, albeit on the Moray Firth of Scotland, but that wasn't the incentive to buy this c.d. The credentials of the musicians were enough. There is not much I can add to the previous excellent reviewers, especially the knowledgeable Roger Smith, except maybe to pick out the exceptional pipering of Paddy Keenan. I often play this recording along with a Willie Clancey c.d., and I think Paddy compares very favourably. I fail to see how anyone with a soul could not love this album.

Pipering of Willie Clancy, Vol. 1
Pipering of Willie Clancy, Vol. 1
Price: 13.67

5.0 out of 5 stars pipes of peace, 23 April 2011
To create music such as this you need two things above all others. Firstly, very dexterous fingers and secondly, a deep love for what you are playing. The playing of Mr Clancey is as organic to Ireland as the cry of a curlew on a lonesome hill, or the smells of a peat fire and a hot whiskey on a cold winter's night in County Sligo. Simply perfect!!

Isle of Skye: 40 Coast and Country Walks (Pocket Mountains)
Isle of Skye: 40 Coast and Country Walks (Pocket Mountains)
by Paul Webster
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars good compact companion, 28 Mar 2011
This is a very good book for people who want walks which are not too energy sapping or hair raising. It fits nicely into an ordinary pocket and we found the directions pretty accurate. Of course the book is enhanced by the reflected glory of the surroundings and surprises, for instance when walking along the magnificent cliffs on the eastern side of Waternish and being greeted by a soaring sea eagle. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3