Profile for Barry > Reviews

Content by Barry

Barry

Lonely Planet Cuba (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Cuba (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet

2.0 out of 5 stars Book's useful but waited over a week for it to be delivered., 1 Jan 2014
Actually I'm reviewing the Lonely Planet guide that I eventually bought from Waterstones. The guide that I ordered through Amazon arrived at my address AFTER I left for Cuba. As far as Lonely Planet guides are concerned I find them patronising when they keep banging on about the distinction between 'travellers' and 'tourists' . I've never seen a box to tick on a visa or immigration form that includes 'travellers'. Comments such as "under the tourist" radar I find offensive. Moreover the information in the guides is often inaccurate. Refer to page 317 - Cafe Cuidad " ...this lovely 'new' colonial cafe... melds grandiosity with great service and comes out emulating anything in Havana Vieja, try the jamon serano( cured ham )..." Sorry. The service is indifferent, the jamon serano is unavailable and the place lacks charm. No way on God's earth can this cafe rank with those in Havana Vieja. And on page 318 - Cafeteria las Ruinas. "...Order a margarita and strike up a conversation with local street hawkers through the iron railings" Really! How many 'travellers' are fluent enough to follow this advise? I far prefer the Insight Guides.

Mirrycle Mountain Bike Bar End Mirror - Black
Mirrycle Mountain Bike Bar End Mirror - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing product and an equally amazing supplier., 1 Jan 2014
I have bought many mirrors over the years. Mirrycle is the best make by far - easy to fit, tough and an excellent wide angle lens. Using a mirror whilst cycling is arguably one of the safest things you can do. No more wobbles when looking over your shoulder but an awareness of what's coming up behind. I'm off in a few weeks time to cycle across Cuba and this mirror will be an essential bit of equipment - still need to decide what bike to take ! As far as the company that I bought the Mirrycle from I am hugely impressed. It arrived the day after I ordered the Mirrycle from Amazon - and bang in the middle of the Christmas
period. Very impressed. Thanks.

European Rail Timetable Summer 2012 (Rail Guides)
European Rail Timetable Summer 2012 (Rail Guides)
by Thomas Cook Publishing

2.0 out of 5 stars Thomas Cook Summer Edition European Railway Timetable, 12 Jun 2013
The guide offers an almost definitive timetable for rail journeys across Europe. I've given it a low rating for two reasons. 1 The summer edition of this guide is not available until mid summer ! This makes forward planning for summer onwards impossible 2 I paid and additional cost for 1st class postage. The guide was not delivered until four days after ordering and after I had left for my rail journeys around Europe.