Profile for Mr. A. Garlick > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. Garlick

Mr. A. Garlick (South Yorkshire, UK)

The Shadow Throne: The Shadow Campaign (Shadow Campaign 2)
The Shadow Throne: The Shadow Campaign (Shadow Campaign 2)
by Django Wexler

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing mid-trilogy book, 14 Sep 2014
Disappointing mid-trilogy book, especially after a great start. I much preferred the style of the first, I couldn't get to grips with the characters and the change it style really didn't do it for me.

Ark Royal
Ark Royal

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun, light read.Recommended., 14 Sep 2014
This review is from: Ark Royal (Kindle Edition)
Great fun, it does err slightly onto the unbelievable sometimes (in regards to timescales and how easy some things are achieved) but its fast moving and interesting. Looking forward to pick up the rest of the series.

The Violent Century
The Violent Century
by Lavie Tidhar

5.0 out of 5 stars Persevere, you you will find a real gem here, 21 April 2014
This review is from: The Violent Century (Hardcover)
At first this book was a real struggle, i lost count of the number of times I nearly put it down in the first 30 pages. The constant time jumping of the narrative and the unorthodox punctuation, along with his writing style really didn't click with me at all.

But then, without really realising it it drew me in. A bit like a black and white film (or movie for you Americans!) the points which annoyed me at first simply faded, no longer relevant. The story drew me in, the characters were great - the relationship between Fog and Oblivion is subtle and believable.

Set WWII and its aftermath, it provides a brilliant backdrop to which the individual stories of the characters play out. Obviously things have had to be changed to allow inclusion of these 'super men', but wherever possible Lavie Tidhar has preserved the real life characters and events that happened, and he has done it very well indeed.

If you can get past the initial difference of the writing (and please do) sit down in a quiet corner and enjoy this book. I am glad I did.

Piranha PC26w Stylish 5 Shelf Bookcase to Match our Range of Desks
Piranha PC26w Stylish 5 Shelf Bookcase to Match our Range of Desks

4.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 6 Jun 2012
I'm not sure about the other reviewer (maybe he bought at a different price) but I was very impressed with this unit. Good instructions, pieces all labelled up and spare fittings - what else can you need?

I was very impressed and bought the matching computer desk (albeit from a different site).

For the price, you can't beat it.

Under Heaven
Under Heaven
by Guy Gavriel Kay

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Evocative, 22 Aug 2011
This review is from: Under Heaven (Hardcover)
Others have said it much better than I, but I love this book. Beautiful, evocative and one of the most accomplished and inspiring books I have ever read.

Read it and it will brighten your life.

Luck in the Shadows (Nightrunner)
Luck in the Shadows (Nightrunner)
by Lynn Flewelling
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars I want some of my life back please, 20 Dec 2006
Now I bought all three books in this series on recommendation - and basically I wish I hadn't. I'm stubborn by nature, I try to finish every book/series I start - but I've struggled through to the end of the second book and thats it, no more.

Please believe the reviewers who rated this book poorly, no doubt they will declaim it much more eloquently and imaginatively than me, but heres my tuppence..

Im was going to try not so sound like a homophobic man who dislikes female fantasy author's - but I'll fail so anyway..

The story is not gripping, its predictable and plot links are lazy - the two main characters just happen over many of the important snippets of information. The characters are almost characatures (sp?) - as another reviewer stated too 'likeable', unbelievable and the author almost seems to have a wishlist of things 'that a hero should be'. Also, by the end of the second book they end up in a homosexual relationship! I'm sorry but (in my opionion) we dont want to see this in a fantasy book - if we wanted that we would go read Brokeback Mountain (which I am sure portray's that scenario with much more authenticity!)

That was the clincher for me and I couldnt read anymore, I didnt care less about the characters and all of the descriptions of the 'he admired Alec's gleaming flank and brushed his hair as he slept' - please!

Looking back i think the whole idea of the homosexual relationship was thrown in the add spice to what is a poorly written, predictable slog, but its not funny, its not clever. The land in which the story is placed is pathetic - nice happy south ruled by a queen (with a 'nice' prophecy about how it will never fall if a female holds the throne), an evil empire (full or women-hating men... ofcourse),where every man believes women are inferior and they all hate the south... It goes on, but I really think I have said enough on this. I picked up Enders Game after this and realised after reading the first chapter that life is too short to read another poor book!

I've learn my lesson, sorry to say this but I'll stay away from female fantasy authors - been dissapointed everytime (except Janny Wurts when writing with Feist, which I loved).

Flame away, but pay head as well
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2011 9:57 AM BST

City of Ravens (Forgotten Realms: The Cities)
City of Ravens (Forgotten Realms: The Cities)
by Richard Baker
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars What is this a children's book?, 7 May 2006
Now, I dont know if the rest of the reviewers were reading the same book to be honest!

Half way through at the moment, and honestly I think its written for 10 year olds! The characters are almost comical in their chliche mannerisms and plots, the 'game' in the book is childish and I feel a warrant for the author to play around a bit - did I mention the characters? Seriously - a rogueish thief with a barbarian companion, a Red Wizard called Zandria? Please! Half way through the book and no-one has even been killed yet!

I'm pretty sure I have read other works by this author and they must have been passable (if not memorable) but I feel I had to warn people about this one.

A the phrase 'page turner' was coined by a few other reviewers and I agree - but only to the point that im skimming over many sections as im just too stubborn to put the book down without finishing it.

The Redemption of Althalus
The Redemption of Althalus
by David and Leigh Eddings

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this a Children's Book?, 2 Dec 2000
I am sorry I bought this. I am (was?) a great Fan of David's work but after this I am not too sure. The writing is soo childish, he leads you by the hand throughout the whole novel assuming that all the readers are complere morons who have no spark of intelligence.
Yes I know that characters are a rehash on ones drawn up before (but much more pathetic and they you don't sympathise with them in the slightest) but the most annoying thing about this work is that fact that David Eddings obviously thinks its very clever. The "so called" clever tricks and funny adventures that Althalus gets up to could have been made up by a four year old - he hasn't put any thought into it at all!
...I hope David takes note of the slating that most people gave this work and gets back onto track. - Oh yes, and the childish way that love is portrayed is very annoying, and the character 'development' (non-existant), and the...

The Forging Of The Shadows (Lightbringer)
The Forging Of The Shadows (Lightbringer)
by Oliver Johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great, Enjoyable Novel... I read it in days, 11 Nov 2000
I was recommended this book by my local bookseller saying it has had some good reviews, i though 'why not' - i am glad i did!
The characters are strong and believable, great acton scenes, powerful magic (as already quoted!). It has a somewhat old fashioned storyline but with writing like this it doesn't matter.
Put it this way - I have just ordered the other 2 books in the series!