Profile for Steve Morrell > Reviews

Steve Morrell (Cambridge)

Neato XV-15 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
Neato XV-15 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner

2.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but with a major design flaw, 2 July 2012
Firstly, the positives. The XV-15 is a brilliant vacuum cleaner. We are constantly surprised by the power of it, especially compared to our upright dyson. You can see where it's been really obviously, and it covers all the floor space. Thanks to the guidance system, it can get in the most obscure nooks and crannies, and still make it out again. We have great fun watching it navigate the chair legs under the table. From this perspective, it is a brilliant device. We don't run it as much as some people. We do maybe 1-2 runs a week, rather than daily. I've recommended this device to friends, who have bought one.

BUT, there is a major design flaw. We went to run the XV-15 recently and found it unable to get off the base, and it seemed to have a limp. It turns out a plastic bracket has broken that connects to one of the wheels with a spring. Without this spring in place, the wheel isn't forced outwards to touch the ground. We know this is the case, as the spring and several pieces of plastic have fallen out.

From looking around the web, this appears to be a common problem, and one which is easily remedied if you are willing to open up the device and attach a new metal mount. Personally, I don't fancy risking the warranty on a £400 device, but it seems odd that the problem would be so easily remedied by a sturdier part.

Amazon are happy to refund the device, which I will be taking them up on. They would also replace it, but they don't have one in stock. I'm torn about getting a new one or not, as I don't want to have to replace it again. If Neato could reassure me that this problem is resolved, then that would be a great help.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2012 1:09 AM BST

Oracle 8i: The Complete Reference
Oracle 8i: The Complete Reference
by Kevin Loney

1.0 out of 5 stars Not complete in any sense., 16 Jan. 2004
If a book advertises itself as "complete" it should mean it should be your primary reference and all you realistically need day-to-day. I've had this book in the office for over a year, and I've learned almost nothing of use from it. Most of the time when I look something up in this I don't find any reference to it in the index, and i'm not going trawling through 1300 pages trying to find it (if indeed its even in there). I picked up a 7 pound O'Reilly book the other day for a particular aspect of Oracle and have learned more from that in 3 days work than I did from this. It should suffice to say that I've tended to nickname this "the brick" for the last year.

Power in the Blood
Power in the Blood
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Long time coming, 30 Oct. 2002
This review is from: Power in the Blood (Audio CD)
I was caught damn off guard by this. Some of he stand-out songs ('Power in the Blood', 'Woody Guthrie', 'Bullet Proof', 'The Moon has lost the Sun', and the totally wicked 'R.E.H.A.B'.) have been played live for ages, and the shorter versions here were initially a disappointment. For example 'R.E.H.A.B.' live is a sing-a-long about twice the length, and is gonna challenge 'Mao Tse Tung Said' as the highlight of the live show. Then the rest of the album seems a lot more dance/ambient-centric than you'd expect, and thus a bit less accessible than previous releases.
I've been listening to it for a few days now though, and the inate catchiness of all the songs mentioned have hooked me proper, and the rest of the songs have grown on me a lot more, expecially 'Strobe Life' and 'Year Zero'. I only realised writing this review that when I tried to piick out some highlights, over half the album came out on the list.
While the album seems a lot more darker, broodier and serious than the previous two, a good chunk of it is vintage dance-able, sing-able A3. The rest is a lot more dark and serious, but the 5 star run continues as far as I'm concerned.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
Offered by konsolenkost

4.0 out of 5 stars flawed, flawed, flawed..., 29 Aug. 2002
For quite a while I did little else in free time but play this. The atmosphere is phenomonal, with the graphics, sound and attnetion to detail all gelling perfectly. Some of the set-pieces are some of the most fun I've had on a console, singling out the duel with the harrier and the katana-fueled carbage towards the end.
I heard a lot about the cut scenes and codec spoiling the flow, and didn't think this was a problem. UNTIL the half hour ramble towards the end where half the characters are killed, the other half are revealed to be working against each other in ever-backstabbing circles, and several seem to be ghostly AI politicians or something.... All of a sudden the plot makes no sense any more and I'm annoyed at wasting so much time in such a chunk. I'm currently in mid-duel with Solidus and I swapped it to a mate for GTA3 for a while because I'm too frustrated to play it for a while.
Great for playing, but less pretentious next time please.... Killing/Blowing things up = fun. Watching other people kill the baddie you were itching to fight = daft

Sams Teach Yourself Oracle 8i on Windows NT in 24 Hours
Sams Teach Yourself Oracle 8i on Windows NT in 24 Hours
by Meghraj Thakkar

1.0 out of 5 stars not readable in any way., 16 May 2002
This book is dry and hard to read, with a lot of technical lists, brief explanations and bad writing style. I'm just learning Oracle, and the whole domain comes across to a beginner as the domain of experts, with a lot of knowledge pre-assumed in nearly every reference I've come across. I was willing to put this book off as another example of this until I wasted a day trying to figure out why a command I was taking from this book wasn't working, and then found out from the web that there was a field missing in one command. The code worked perfectly after adding that in. Given the excellence of other SAMS books I have on similar topics ( SQL especially ), I find the inaccessability of this book shocking.

Iron Monkey [DVD]
Iron Monkey [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rongguang Yu
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Kicks ass!!!, 10 Sept. 2001
This review is from: Iron Monkey [DVD] (DVD)
I've shown this film to loads of my friends as a time killer, and all ave loved it. It looks gorgeous and the fighting is damn near perfect. The insanity of the final duel is worth the money alone.

Once Upon A Time In China And America [VHS]
Once Upon A Time In China And America [VHS]
VHS
Offered by Discountdiscs-UK : Dispatched daily from the UK.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the tchnical quality, 10 Sept. 2001
Normally I love this type of film, and what I could bear to watch showed some fine combat scenes, but the quality of the video is dire, and the poor dubbing detracts from the film sooo much. This video convinced me that all Wuxia and Chop Socky type films should be bought on DVD, if just so you're guaranteed getting subtitles over poor quality dubbing.

La Peste
La Peste
Offered by zoreno-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Darker than Exile... and not a bad thing, 24 May 2001
This review is from: La Peste (Audio CD)
I think its a bit unfair comparing this to the first album. Exile... is great, but deliberatly wacky and tongue in cheek. This isn't as funny, but 'Too sick to pray' and 'Sad eyed lady..' are two of the best dark, emotional songs you'll here this side of Massive Attack or Nick Cave. Actually its probably closer to MA's Mezzanine than Exile... in a lot of places.