Profile for J. Gilborson > Reviews

The Stone Roses
The Stone Roses
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars This IS the one, 19 July 2003
This review is from: The Stone Roses (Audio CD)
This album sounds as amazing today as it did the first time I ever heard it playing in my mate's mustard coloured Mini all those years ago. This album is timeless, it was ahead of its time then and every time I play it now, it stills sounds so fresh. This album was and still is one of the few albums I own that I can say that every song is worth 5 stars.

Things kick off with I Wanna be Adored, which quietly rises out of your speakers before building up into a rip roaring crescendo that leaves you with no doubt that you also want to be adored and probably soon will be. Any doubts at all about your imminent new found hero worship are dispelled quickly when the opening lyrics of She Bangs The Drums are delivered with the arrogance and cocky swagger that was The Stone Roses set against timeless melodies that initially leave you unsure where the choruses are. Waterfall is just a beautiful song that is immediately accessible but before you get too pleased with yourself, Don't Stop comes along and jolts you out of your happy little world and reminds you just why these guys were set to be the biggest thing the world has ever seen. Bye Bye Badman is the most poignant call to arms song that I've ever heard and back in the late 80's would have brought side A to a mouth watering, lemon juice in your eyes storming close.
Elizabeth My Dear, sung to the tune of Scarborough Fair, lasts barely a minute, and it's fairly clear where the boys stand on the monarchy, with Squire's guitar letting go a `bullet' as the song fades and segues into Sugar Spun Sister which, quite frankly is one of the happiest, most glorious songs ever written. Made Of Stone was the single that initially just blew me away and made me realise that my days of being a heavy metal rebel were numbered. I'd discovered melodies and there was no turning back. Shoot You Down, is a chill out classic and shows no sign of what is to come, mainly a blistering, 2 track tour de force of musical excellence. This Is The One is so completely brilliant it would be the `one'. Except it isn't, because I Am The Resurrection is. 8 minutes of musical heaven. It takes 3 verses until the chorus comes in and by the time it does your champing at the bit to let it scream out of your lungs as loud and as powerful as you can. The ultimate feel good break up song, you'll never feel better after screaming out - "you're a no one, nowhere washed up baby who'd look better dead". It fades out then resurrects itself before fading away for good, leaving all concerned with the knowledge that they rock, you rock and everyone and everything else really doesn't matter.