Profile for JMC > Reviews

JMC (UK)

No Thanks Card Game
No Thanks Card Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes please, 9 Mar. 2014
This review is from: No Thanks Card Game (Toy)
Bought this game after I saw it played on a South Korean game show, of all things. The rules are very simple: a card is drawn and, taking it in turns, you either put a chip on the card, or take the card and all the chips. If you have a run of cards, only the number on the lowest card counts. At the end of the game, add up the numbers on your cards, subtract 1 point for each chip left and whoever has the lowest score wins.

The play time is short, but the game turns out to be surprisingly complex. I've spent whole evenings playing this, watching players "level up" as they add new techniques to their toolbox. Should you take the card you want, or send it round hoping to get more chips? Maybe someone else will take it? How many chips are the top cards worth? I still have no idea what the best strategy is. Thoroughly recommend it!

Fruit
Fruit

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 10 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Fruit (MP3 Download)
Having heard Around The Bend, I decided to check out more of The Asteroids Galaxy Tour with the glum expectation that they would be another boring old one-hit wonder band.

Boy was I wrong.

Having bought this album, my MP3 player has barely had a chance to play anything else. After a few listens, it is almost impossible not to be singing along to Lady Jesus, The Golden Age, Push the Envelope, etc. - Mette's quirky singing style (although it may not be everybody's cup of tea) adds a certain charm to proceedings. With catchy melodies and a style that at some times feels like a laid-back summer afternoon, and at other times teems with energy, this album puts a smile on my face every time. Love it.

Cancer Is Not a Disease - It's a Survival Mechanism
Cancer Is Not a Disease - It's a Survival Mechanism
by Andreas Moritz

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, dangerous nonsense., 24 May 2009
Research groups have been known to induce cancer in mice through introduction of tumours, resulting in death. The book gives no explanation as to why this might be the case (as cancer is not the result of tumours, apparently).

Is the author aware of the many studies which find genes associated with cancer? (e.g. BRCA1, TP53?)

After a couple of paragraphs of this book I was so disgusted by the sheer misinformation and logical fallacies that I had to stop reading. Don't buy it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2014 10:22 AM GMT

Through The Windowpane
Through The Windowpane
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 27 July 2006
This review is from: Through The Windowpane (Audio CD)
Having seen Guillemots live, I could not resist rushing out and snapping up their album. I was not disappointed, and this seems a very promising start to (touch wood) an excellent career.

One thing that strikes me about the album is the somewhat arty nature of it. You will hear a bundle of weird instruments and sound effects. Many of the tracks feature orchestra and/or brass, and somewhat unconventionally, they use double bass instead of bass guitar. All of this gives them a somewhat varied style, as they reveal the different instruments - half of the songs are slow, haunting and sensitive, and the other half are upbeat, rhythmic and catchy.

Top of the pile, I would place "We're Here", which is a vast and powerful song with inspiring lyrics. Fyfe's vocals glide effortlessly over haunting chords from a group of strings and choir, along with emotional interjections from the piano. Drums and double bass provide the forward-driving motion. I still can't get this one out of my head after goodness knows how many weeks since I first heard it- great stuff.

Next, I'd place "Trains to Brazil", a more upbeat song about appreciating life. Here, we have strong double bass and stomping drums mimicking said train. Powerful chord changes abound. Definitely their most catchy song, this is bound to get you stomping your feet! "Made-Up Love Song #43" is slightly strange- it spends the first minute with a airy, lazy tune, then pulls out all the stops and lets loose. Here, we witness for the first time Fyfe's perverse, but amazing, falsetto voice. You listen to it thinking, surely that's not possible! But it works very well. This song ends by spending the last minute fizzling out and winding down, which is a good idea but doesn't quite work in my opinion; it left me puzzled as to where the end of the song had just disappeared off to.

Other great tracks include the upbeat "Annie Let's Not Wait" and "Through The Windowpane", the epic orchestral masterpiece that is "Sao Paulo", and more laid back tracks "Redwings" and "Come Away With Me".

The album is slightly let down by "Blue Would Still Be Blue", which is too simple and repetitive for my liking (it consists entirely of Fyfe singing over a synth playing arpeggios). Also, it sounds to me like the piano is horribly out of tune in "Little Bear" which spoils it!

But, overall, an amazing album, and I hope to hear much more from these guys!