Profile for Tolstoy > Reviews

Content by Tolstoy

Tolstoy "An exuberant performer of passion" (UK)

Acting - Make it Your Business: How to Avoid Mistakes and Achieve Success as a Working Actor
by Paul Russell

5.0 out of 5 stars Where Creativity Relates to Business, 9 April 2014
Acting as a business was completely ignored during my training and I have already learned so much from this book before I have even finished it! However, no dull documentary here, as Paul Russell includes so many personal examples that he has dealt with in his years as a casting director, he had me laughing out loud by the first paragraph.

Everyone knows you have to be mad to be an actor - all that rejection - but if nothing makes your soul sing more, study this book and follow through with his tips so that you know you are doing all you can do to make your career as an actor into a successful business.

Eat That Frog!: Get More of the Important Things Done - Today!
Eat That Frog!: Get More of the Important Things Done - Today!
by Brian Tracy

5.0 out of 5 stars Yucky Thought, Best Idea, 9 April 2014
This book was recommended to me and initially I found the title - and idea - ridiculous. However, it is true: if you do the worst thing first, you will be clearer to do that which you love for the rest of it. My life is changing because of this book :)

The Quincunx: The Inheritance of John Huffam
The Quincunx: The Inheritance of John Huffam
by Charles Palliser

5.0 out of 5 stars All Time Favourite, 9 Sept. 2012
Quite simply, when an author can lead you to care for his characters, you know you're reading a good book. When the author transforms you to a different place and era, you know you're reading a good book. When the author spends ten years researching history for accuracy, you know you're reading a good book.

This book takes my breath away; has my head reeling and gets my blood pumping at its raw, energetic pace. I am not a snail, but it won't take much for you to see the trail I left on these pages as I was there on the journey at every turn!

Excellent Dissertations! (Student-Friendly Guides series)
Excellent Dissertations! (Student-Friendly Guides series)
by Peter Levin

5.0 out of 5 stars Private Tutor, 5 Nov. 2010
I honestly found this better than my dissertation supervisor.

It was never off my computer desk and I scanned it thoroughly and followed it religiously. Highly recommended with a proven technique to help you gain a good mark!

Immunization: The Reality Behind the Myth
Immunization: The Reality Behind the Myth
by Robert S. Mendelsohn

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading for the Flock, 4 Nov. 2010
Oh, please read this book!

If there is the tiniest part in you who senses that there is something not quite right with the system of immunising; if you at all wonder why we do things and follow so blindly, explore deeper and begin to search for independent thinking.

I cried in frustration and despair over the thought of vaccinating my newborn son as it so didn't feel right. The doctor said he would give me a week to think about it.

I went to a homeopathic doctor who shared his own opinion ~ 'We would rather you keep the child healthy from within'!! ~ and who then pointed this book out to me.

Before the week was up, I wrote to my doctor to say that I would not be vaccinating my son. I have been questioned by just a few doctors since ~ and upon sharing the hidden facts and information in this book ~ been thanked for making an informed decision. And that is, quite simply, what this book does ~ inform those of us who so often unquestioningly follow on the reality behind the myths to help us learn what is so often hidden by pharmaceutical companies and the medical profession.

The Continuum Concept (Arkana)
The Continuum Concept (Arkana)
by Jean Liedloff

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong Support, 4 Nov. 2010
Because I was hurt as a child, my insides popped every time my adventurous baby fell onto his bottom.

And then I read The Continuum Concept and learned that children aren't suicidal; that their/our instincts are so strong to survive and that it really is a good idea to encourage our children to trust them.

And so I learned to let go of my own fear and not rush over to my 6 month old son who'd plopped onto his nappy padded bottom when crawling around the room. I learned to trust his instincts as did he and he is now a strong, courageous, open hearted soon to be 14-year old with the conviction to stand up for justice and equality.

I have a sense that if I hadn't come across Ms Liedloff that I'd still be babying him now!

How to Raise a Healthy Child
How to Raise a Healthy Child
by Robert S. Mendelsohn
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Doula, 4 Nov. 2010
I had a private midwife during my pregnancy and my own doula by my side in the form of Dr Robert Mendelsohn's wonderful book.

He helped me believe in myself and my intuition that just knew that children aren't suicidal and can often handle sneezes and runny noses without rushing them to a doctor.

In a secret world that we non medical doctors are not allowed to enter, Dr Mendelsohn lifts the veil and gives us a peek warts and all to ultimately empower us and help us become independent thinkers. Bravo!

Confessions of a Medical Heretic
Confessions of a Medical Heretic
by Robert Mendelsohn

5.0 out of 5 stars Standing Up for the Medical Ethic, 4 Nov. 2010
The wonderful and brave Dr Mendelsohn reminds us that Medical Doctors took the Hippocratic oath to First, do no harm. Yet how many, in order to appease the modern moaning patient proffer drugs at the first opportunity so as to be seen to be doing something even though that very something may go against the oath and cause harm or even addiction.

I so admire people who are prepared to stand up for what they believe in, even losing their medical licence at one point instead of following the rest of the flock like so many of us.

Instead of blindly believing all we are taught, we need to be encouraged to be independent thinkers and first ask, is there another, more natural way that will be gentle on my body; my mind and my soul? That will guide me and help me unveil the possible deep underlying issues instead of covering and numbing it with medication.

I love this man. He has given me suppressed facts and information that I needed to stand up for what I believe in: not vaccinating; avoiding allopathic medicine; taking alternative routes; retaining natural health from within; not believing the hype and doing what feels right for me. I thank him and suggest everyone read his work.

Steering By Starlight: How to fulfil your destiny, no matter what
Steering By Starlight: How to fulfil your destiny, no matter what
by Martha Beck

5.0 out of 5 stars Over the Speed Limit, 8 May 2010
Like so many books of this ilk, Steering by Starlight was brought to my attention at the perfect time.

I have not been able to put it down and am racing through it with great speed, whilst being motivated to actually complete the exercises for a change because they are straightforward and appealing.

I just know I am going to re-read it as soon as I reach the end as it makes so much sense, even disagreeing with The Secret in some ways. Oh, how I love a passionate fight!

If you really have had enough with your current state of affairs; are ready to claim your destiny and be all you can be, jump into the driving seat and take off with this amazing book. I assure you, Martha Beck is an excellent guide!

Theatre Audiences
Theatre Audiences
by Susan Bennett

5.0 out of 5 stars In-depth insight into audience demographics, 26 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Theatre Audiences (Paperback)
In order to provide a balanced report whilst writing a dissertation for a BA (Hons) Performance degree on the emergence of theatre beyond the confines of theatre walls, I sought information on audience members. What inspires audience members to walk into a theatre? How involved do they become? Would they be driven to stand outside in the pouring rain to watch a performance on a promenade stage?

This book contains the perfect balance and insight into audience members and what makes them tick and provides an in-depth look at theatre practitioners and the effect they had on theatre and the audience, such as Bertolt Brecht.

For 1st May 2009, this work will definitely be cited in the above dissertation as provided clear, well-written insights that were most helpful and informative.