Profile for notimetoulouse > Reviews

Content by notimetoulouse
Top Reviewer Ranking: 656

notimetoulouse "Safe never starts - Perfect never finishes" (Sheffield UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Mercury 700.054 Handheld Magnifier
Mercury 700.054 Handheld Magnifier
Offered by Sivitec_Direct
Price: 1.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't be without it..., 22 Sep 2013
I write for a living, and consequently spend a lot of time in research, often needing to look at photographs in detail. I also collect and renovate fountain pens, and a magnifier comes in very handy there also.
I looked around for a good magnifier, but was amazed how little choice there was out there. My criteria were 6x or more, small enough to slip into a briefcase or document holder, but substantial enough to take the odd drop or knock.
This little magnifier ticks all the boxes. It's made of high impact plastic, and I still can't make out whether the lens is glass (90% sure) or very well engineered plastic, either way, there is no distortion shown around the edges of the lens, which leads me to the glass assumption.
It's also finds itself wandering down into the kitchen and helping us to read the ever dwindling type on food labels, where it comes in very handy
Size? It's 5.5 inches long, with a lens diameter of 2.5 inches. (inches - that gives my age away)!
Substantially made and extremely cheap to buy,
I really recommend this little cracker, but it with confidence.

Table and Two Chairs Cover
Table and Two Chairs Cover
Offered by British Garden Centres
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Long Term Test - This has lasted the course so far!, 22 Sep 2013
As you can see from the purchase date, I bought this cover nearly two years ago and have waited until now so that I can give an objective review.
I bought the cover to protect a metal breakfast table and two chairs that remain out on our patio all year round.
Firstly, you need to know that this isn't a flimsy item (unlike a chimenea cover I've reviewed elsewhere). It must weigh in at four or five pounds in weight which gives you an idea of the thickness of the dark green rubberised and waterproof pvc that is used in its' manufacture.
It has really substantial elasticated 'pull ties' that you use to tighten the cover around the items you wish to protect, and it says a lot for it that it has never blown off throughout the ravages of the last two winters (and we live in a notoriously windy spot).
It will come well packed in it's own plastic carrier bag, which immediately becomes redundant once the cover is out in your garden, and, baring in mind ours has been out in the elements for nearly two years now, it has only suffered from slight fading from the sun's UV rays.
It's heavy (heavy good), well made, very large, and all in all a very pleasing item - our table and chairs are still in pristine condition, plus it's big enough for a full size table and four chairs.
Would I buy one again?
Absolutely. In about 15 years from now when this one wears out. Highly recommended.
I hope this helped.

Daewoo QT1 Compact Microwave Oven, 600 Watt, 14 Litre - White
Daewoo QT1 Compact Microwave Oven, 600 Watt, 14 Litre - White
Offered by Ryness Lighting & Electrical
Price: 54.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Dinky but it does the job!, 22 Sep 2013
We bought this because of two things, its size and simplicity. We travel a lot, and when we stay in accomodation that doesn't provide a breakfast or evening meal, we looked for something that we could throw in the back of the car and could use to heat a jacket potato, or warm up breakfast stuff like sausage and beans, or scrambled egg.
The little Daewoo ticks all the boxes, there isn't a grill or another heat source to clutter things up. It's simplicity itself to use (unlike our built in Panasonic which is like the instrument panel of a 747).
It's sturdily built and looks like it will last us years.
Very happy with the purchase, and would recommend it hand down to anyone looking for a minimalist microwave, or only have a small kitchen with worktop space at a premium.

The Granta Book of the American Short Story
The Granta Book of the American Short Story
by Richard Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars All that is best in American Writing., 22 Sep 2013
A short story written well can be absolutely riveting, and this collection, edited by Robert Ford, is sublime in its constituent parts.
The writer Frank O' Conners' view as to why short stories flourish as an art form in the U.S. more than anywhere else (that the USA is 'a place full of dislocated people who sometimes fool you and act nice'), is well evidenced in this collection.
All the pantheon of American Short Story writers are represented, with some of their best work.
Flann O'Conner and Eudora Welty, the king and queen of Southern Gothic, John Updike, John Cheever, Robert Penn Warren, they are all here.
What makes it perfect for me is the inclusion, as the last story in the compilation, of Tim O'Briens eulogy to the Vietnam War 'The Things They Carried.'
All 43 stories here are chosen because of their ability to affect you, but "The Things' isn't a short story. It's a love letter.
i see this book is available second hand here on Amazon for the princely sum of one penny plus postage.
If you love good writing, please consider buying this book, you don't read the stories, you fall into them and come out slightly changed each time.
A book to curl up with? Absolutely. A book for the daily commute? It's chunky but perfect. A book for the holiday? None better.
A penny? For all this beauty?
I can't believe it.
I hope you buy this book and enjoy it as much as I have.

My Days and Nights on the Battle-Field
My Days and Nights on the Battle-Field
Price: 0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Written by a War Tourist, not a soldier, 22 Sep 2013
The American Civil War was unique in that it pitted family against family, depending on the beliefs of the individuals involved, and as such has provided us with some excellent memoirs of soldiers and officers who fought for both sides.
This is not one of them.
Unique also to the War, was the spectacle of the local gentry of whatever persuasion to dress up in their finest whenever they realised a major battle was about to take place near to where they lived, set up picnic tables, and watch the battle unfold before them.
This book is written by someone who looked on, and talked about it at dinner tables, but didn't fight. And as all ex soldiers know, there's a gulf of a thousand miles between those that have fought, and those that haven't.
From the title, I expected a lot more.

Military Reminiscences of the Civil War, Volume 2 November 1863-June 1865
Military Reminiscences of the Civil War, Volume 2 November 1863-June 1865

3.0 out of 5 stars Full of Civil War facts, but far from a riveting read, 22 Sep 2013
As you can probably guess from some of my other reviews, I have a real interest in the American Civil War, especially memoirs of those that fought in the many battles. This isn't a memoir, but is in reality a Military History of the various campaigns written by someone firmly on the side of the Army of the Republic, which makes it a tad unbalanced.
That said, it is meticulous in its detail and benefits by being written just a few short years after the end of the war. It's just ....dry.

iGloo Premium: LCD Screen Protector Cover Guard For Samsung S3350 Ch@t 335 / Chat 335
Offered by iGloo Accessories
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly - but you only get one!, 21 Sep 2013
I've had this cover on my phone now for 18 months, and it has keep the screen unmarked in all that time. It's well made and fairly thick compared to other screen protectors I've bought in the past.
My only beef is that the screen cover itself is now worn and scratched, and I now need another. I notice that other sellers have packs of 6 screen protectors for not much more money so I'll need to do some more research before I repurchase one of these.

Gadget Giant Samsung S3350 s3353 335 CH@T Chat Black Rubber Gel Chat Case Cover Skin Shell - Hexagon / Diamond Pattern / Hex

5.0 out of 5 stars This case saved my phone, 21 Sep 2013
I've had this case now for well over a year, and in that time, my phone has been dropped five times onto my drive and office floor without any damage whatsoever. The thin lip that you can see all around the right hand image, sits proud of the phone and keeps the screen safe if it falls face down.
Excellent piece of kit.

Monteverde Ink  Bottle, Burgundy (G308BG)
Monteverde Ink Bottle, Burgundy (G308BG)
Price: 7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Shading Burgundy Ink, 21 Sep 2013
I have four different Monteverde inks, and next to the Blue, this is my favourite. It is exceptionally well behaved in my fine and medium nibbed pens, and in 18 months I've had no clogging or hard start issues.
Although it might appear expensive, the bottle actually contains 90ml of ink, quite a lot more than the average ink bottle, and the new inks from Monteverde are made with their own proprietary Ink Treatment Formula, which they say drastically improves ink flow (I can vouch for that, I use it to 'tame' hard starting pens), I also find that I can leave the cap off my pen for longer if it is inked with Monteverde.
This burgundy is a deep wine red through a medium nib, as opposed to other brands, which can sit on the purple side of burgundy.
I have a Jinhao 163 medium nib inked up with this and the combination is buttery smooth to write with, and the ink shades beautifully on 100gsm paper.
A very forgiving ink, that resists feathering and bleedthrough.
Highly recommended. A Burgundy you can live with and use regularly.
Hope this helps you choose!

The Complete Recordings
The Complete Recordings
Price: 3.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Robert Johnson, great acoustic blues., 21 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Complete Recordings (Audio CD)
This two CD set arrived within 48 hours of ordering, and went straight into my car for the commute. I'm a sixties kid, and faithfully trooped around the various folk and blues venues in Manchester to see visiting American bluesmen when they toured. Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee. Sonny Boy Williamson, Taj Mahal, all great musicians, and all, at least once in a set, playing a Robert Johnson blues.
This set doesn't disappoint me in the least - As Mr Davies-Jones has stated so admirably in his review, all his recordings are here, some stacked one on top of the other so you can get a feel for the way his music developed in the short time he was recording.

And Kevyns comment about "Come into my Kitchen"?
The opening 30 seconds on the first take made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Absolutely electrifying, and the words are well..... you'll have to buy the set because simply writing them down can't do them justice.
4.46 for 40 tracks?
I didn't have to think about it.
If you like early American acoustic blues,and you don't have it in your collection, this set is well worth the money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11