Profile for notimetoulouse > Reviews

Content by notimetoulouse
Top Reviewer Ranking: 632

notimetoulouse "Safe never starts - Perfect never finishes" (Sheffield UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
LONG JACKET WALLET (1347) (BLACK)
LONG JACKET WALLET (1347) (BLACK)
Offered by Lambland ltd
Price: 9.79

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Smartphone Wallet!, 4 Dec 2013
Rather than buy a case specifically for my iphone 4s (many of which have poor reviews for one reason or another - mostly about the ability to store stuff), I took a gamble and, after a quick measuring job, ordered this.
I'm not disappointed (well, maybe a tinysquiddlylittle bit - see below), the quality is great - but be aware it is not ultra smooth leather. The storage space is brilliant, and your iphone or smartphone of any size or persuasion will fit inside one of its many pockets with ease.
The wallet itself has four credit cards slots (and they fit perfectly), a clear window for a driving licence, a zip pocket for cash (though I think coins would possibly make it a little bulky) it has no less than five other wallet pockets and a final flip over pocket that runs the whole length of the wallet at the back.
I now have one place for all my stuff when I leave home, phone, cards, licences and cash all to hand, and I'm very pleased with my purchase. It's far more useable than a dedicated iphone case, most of which seems to fall between two hurdles - not enough room for cash and cards, and a tad impractical in use. I'm amazed at how many people spend money on cases that leave a flapping cover near their faces whilst they talk.
With this, I can just slide my phone in and out whenever I need it, when I don't my it's hidden away unobtrusively - and protected if I drop it.
And the tinysquiddlybit?
It smells a bit gluey, but I expect that to go in a few days.
Overall, it's a stealth smartphone case, with loads of storage, looks classy, is well worth the money, and very very practical.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2014 3:26 PM GMT

Saucers & Aliens Magazine Issue #7
Saucers & Aliens Magazine Issue #7
Price: 1.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Once again, a good read!, 4 Dec 2013
I'm making an assumption (always dangerous) that you are reading this review because the subject of this magazine interests you - if I'm right, and you've never downloaded a copy of S&A before, this would be a good one of the series to start off with. Inside you'll find articles on Foo Fighters, the Vaticans 'take' on UFO's (one sentence in that article is very, very revealing), the so called Kalinovoy alien, George Adamski, Cold Fusion, and a taster of the new Ufologist magazine published in Australia. It's cheap, it's an interesting read, and the sooner Amazon introduces a way to buy into a series of magazines without having to go and check if the latest issue has hit Kindle, the better.
S&A never disappoints, and makes a great commute or 'quiet corner'read.
I hope this helped.

The Squidoo Success Formula Training Guide - Everything You Need To Know To Make Money From Squidoo!
Price: 1.92

2.0 out of 5 stars This Book needs a rapid revamp, 3 Dec 2013
If you have never heard of Squidoo, and want a quick way into lens creation, this book might help you...with the basics.
The problem with writing a book about a social platform like Squidoo is that the platform will be constantly changing it's look and feel, sometimes month by month and also, any changes to Googles search algorithm will thus affect Squidoos' ability to rank high on search pages.
I'm a long time Squidoo user and Giant Squid over on Squidoo, and I can honestly say it is not only a really nice community of people, but also a great way to learn how to make inroads into making a little bit of money from the internet (for no outlay)..... but as the other reviewer here has said, most of the info in this book is available elsewhere (especially inside Squidoo itself), and what's more, it is bang up to date.
Some of the info in here is now out of time, and doesn't reflect what Squidoo lenses now look like, or what new innovations have been put in place by the Squidoo Community (or, more importantly, how Googles new search engine changes impact on Squidoo).
To put something together like this, that will be relevant and worthwhile for buyers, the authors need to keep revisiting and updating it to reflect the constant changes that are ongoing within Squidoo.
It comes with the turf of writing about a constantly changing subject.
There are books out there that explain the basics of Squidoo, and books that explain how to use the Squidoo platform to build your own small internet business at your own pace (Gurgle search 'PotPieGirl' for instance - she's good) - this book, at the moment, tries to leap both fences in a single bound, but falls between them both.
Look around Amazon for other books on Squidoo, read some other reviews and then come back to this book if you can't find anything more up to date.

911 Finding the Truth
911 Finding the Truth
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Shows unequivocally how the 9/11 truth movement is being 'controlled', 2 Dec 2013
Andrew Johnson is without doubt one of the most (if not 'the most') knowledgeable British researchers into the events of 9/11 and what Linda Moulton Howe calls 'High Strangeness.'
Involved in the 9/11 truth movement for many, many years, he has been a dedicated cataloguer of facts and contributor to International Forums on the subject.
Being involved 'in the boilerroom' of 9/11 Truth, he became aware of subtle changes that were happening inside the movement, driven by certain individuals who claimed expert status.
This book is a written history of his challenges to those people both via email and by Forum postings.
It is not a book about the events of 9/11 in toto, (although it does touch on it), and I think this is where some of the negative reviews come from.

It is both passionate and illuminating and shows in great detail how people like James Fetzer (who prior to reading this book I took to be a truth seeker par excellence) have manipulated opinion and steered it away from the more explosive research around the events of 9/11, expressly that of Doctor Judy Wood.
I'm not here to argue the case for or against Dr Wood, suffice to say I have bought her book and hail it for it's superb expose of the stranger things that happened that day (three towers demolished, only one item of office stationery - part of a filing cabinet- found in the rubble, no chairs, tables, phones, office ephemera yet in every photo of the event you see paper littering the streets {and not burnt or burning}, cars overturned and burned when those fleeing the scene weren't affected...the list goes on).
As I said earlier, please don't buy this book expecting to find all the answers to what happened on the 11th September 2001, the writer hasn't set out to do that, but if you are already 'into' 9/11, spend half the price of a cup of coffee and read just how much spin is now taking place around the events of that day, how people are attacked and publicly denigrated, and pick up just how disconcerting it must be to be on the end of that amount of vitriol.
And it's still going on.
As a research resource, it's excellent, and for what it's worth, my thanks to the author for all his hard work.
Now watch the negative comments come piling in.......which is all part of the process.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2014 11:04 PM GMT

Jack Kilborn Trilogy - Three Horror Novels (Afraid, Trapped, Endurance)
Jack Kilborn Trilogy - Three Horror Novels (Afraid, Trapped, Endurance)
Price: 6.13

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this to study his writing style - and it's cracking!, 11 Nov 2013
As the title says, I bought into this purely from a 'how a bestselling Kindle author goes about writing fiction" angle, and I have to say a) I'm really glad I did and b) They are actually cracking reads! Proust it isn't, but it's pageturning stuff that makes me smile at the end of each chapter to see a master of fiction at work. If you want to write good fiction, buy this set.
If you want a great commute read, or a holiday book or even a curl up on the couch with the lights low book (on second thoughts, not that one - they're too scarey), you won't go far wrong with this.
I never thought I'd enjoy formulaic horror science fiction, but I have to admit, I really like Konraths work - and this from a guy who threw Lee Childs 61 Hours at the wall after 17 pages.
Well worth buying.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2014 11:13 PM GMT

Professional Plot Outline Mini-Course
Professional Plot Outline Mini-Course

3.0 out of 5 stars You need more than this to get the job done, 11 Nov 2013
I've given Holly's book 3 stars - at the moment - because once you buy this book (I think it's a cut out module from a bigger course), you quickly realise that you will need worksheets for each lesson (not a problem, they are a free download from her site) and there are other bits of the jigsaw you will need to make this work.
In what way?
Take her workthrough of some conflicts she chooses - Holly chooses three, and then says "I'll choose the CLIFFHANGER structure (Plot Clinic p.31) because I love potboilers. They're fun to write)."
Plot Clinic is another of Holly's books weighing in at 6.30.
Five or six pages further on she shows you how to start putting flesh onto your characters, and for this she uses 'Holly Lisle's Create a Character Clinic p26 and 27.'
Yup, that's another book, for the same price as the Plot Clinic one.
Holly does give you an ubershorthand version of what to do - she obviously explains in more depth in the character book itself - but that approach left me thinking 'what am I missing that's in the book - do I need it?'
Which, as an ex marketer, I find very classy stuff.
All that said, I quite like this book.
Holly talks to you at warp factor 6. Her style is direct, to the point, and very 'come on, let's get on with it'. I quite like it. In fact I like her way of talking to me so much, I'm going over to her website after finishing this review (howtothinksidewaysdotcom - where the worksheets are too) and sign up for her free short writing course.
If I think it's worth it, I'll buy the bundle of 'Clinic' books and come and report back to everyone.
Back to this little book; if you already have a story in your head that needs squaring away, this just might work for you, but if you are brand new to writing, maybe there are other offerings out there that will bump start your writing career.
At this price, it's worth downloading and see what the fuss is all about, I can't even buy a coffee now for the price I paid, and it is a nice pointer to Holly's way of working.
Sorry to bang on, I'll get my coat.

Three Great Techniques for Plotting Your Novel or Screenplay
Three Great Techniques for Plotting Your Novel or Screenplay

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as super as the other reviewers say..., 9 Nov 2013
Firstly, if you see my other reviews, you'll find I'm not a 'harsh marker' but the purpose of me offering up reviews to Amazon is to help potential purchasers with their buying decisions - so if I find something that needs highlighting, and feel it needs a low star grade, I think it a duty to pass that on,
So, that said, If you are looking for a book on how to craft a plot, this isn't it - but if you are after a very basic overview of plotting (the 4 c's), and of one type of plot (Hero's Journey) this would fill the bill, but even then this is a quite skimpy exposition of those plotting mechanisms.
Very basic plotting guidance is given, but this is far from what a budding author will need to learn the craft of putting together a 'grippy' plot.
It is, in fact, a 15 page excerpt from Module 1 of Nicks writing course, (there is even a part left in it where you are told that area will be covered in module 3).
Am I against short Kindle books? Far from it - check out my review of Kristen Ecksteins book elsewhere, which is a 48 page roadmap of how to lay out a book - it's short, punchy and a working template for a budding author to work with, which is what this book/short report could have been - or check out the 70 page Rock Your Plot by Cathy Yardley, which costs slightly more but provides exponentially more advice.

Sorry to give it only two stars, but even though it costs what it costs, it's still very very light on useable content.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2014 8:44 AM GMT

Author's Quick Guide to Organizing Your Non-Fiction Book
Author's Quick Guide to Organizing Your Non-Fiction Book

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must have for any new writer/author, 9 Nov 2013
I write for Kindle and POD under a pen name, I bought this book two days ago and I wish I had had access to this book at the outset of my writing career, it would have saved me the two major embarassing publishing errors I committed early on.
This fact packed little book isn't about the writing craft, it's all about the physical layout of your book, from front cover to back matter.
Kristen writes in a friendly, conversational way that moves you gently on from page to page, enthusing you as she goes, in fact the whole tone of her book is that of a one to one consulting hour in her office.

At 48 pages, this isn't a long book, but it doesn't need to be, it just needs to hold all the information that's essential to organize your book in the correct manner to fit any publishers criteria; or, if you are choosing the Kindle and Print on Demand route, (as I do), it will help you avoid all the pitfalls that would make your book or books look amateurish and/or poorly put together.

Ever wondered about whether you should include a Foreward, Preface or Introduction? - that guidance is here with worked examples - (plus the one to avoid that marks you out as an amateur publisher straight off).
The dreaded Copyright and Disclaimers page? All here, complexity unravelled, with examples.
How to best organize your appendix, or your illustrations? Back Matter? About the Author?
Everything covered, with an example for you to take away and use immediately, and all for the half the price of a cup of coffee.

What I love about it is the fact that if you read her book from cover to cover, then go back to Kristen's table of contents, there in front of you is everything Kristen has just taught, which instantly shows you how workable her advice is in the real world of books and publishing.
It's short, and written from the hip by an engaging author who, for less than the price of a cup of coffee, gives you an instant, workable blueprint for you to use on all your books.
This is what the Kindle platform is all about, great advice, beautifully packaged and instantly workable.
Highly recommended, so much so, that I'm off to download her other two Authors quick guides.

Pelikan 4001 Bottled Ink - Blue/Black 62.5ml
Pelikan 4001 Bottled Ink - Blue/Black 62.5ml
Offered by Sign Materials Direct
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Subtle Blue Black Ink, 7 Nov 2013
I have never been a fan of Blue Black inks, but a positive review on the Fountain Pen Network forum pointed me towards this ink and I'm so glad it did!
It is a very fast drying ink with lovely shading through all my fine and medium nibbed pens. I have a Montblanc Meisterstuck that cost upwards of 300 and a Chinese copy that cost less than 4 and this ink completely levels them as writing implements.
It provides 'glide' across any page I put in front of it, be it 120gsm bond or a cheap yellow legal pad,and I wholeheartedly recommend this ink to any FountainPenner looking for a classy business ink. Without doubt a great find...and at this price (a third of the price of Montblancs own inks), I think it is an absolute steal. No clogging, no nib crud, just a really classy writing experience.
Pens used: Mont Blanc 146 F nib, a Jinhao 159 m nib, Dauer Feder f nib. Papers tested" Leuchtturm 1917 A5 notebook in cream, 100gsm Viking Direct Copy paper and a 60 gsm Tesco project book.
Pelikan Blue Black performed flawlessly on all papers except the uber cheap Tesco offering, which feathered slightly and showed bleedthrough to the next page (but my Mont Blanc is a notoriously wet writer, so don't hold me to that).

The Marine Diet: The Low Carb & Low Calorie Diet for Rapid Weight Loss Book
The Marine Diet: The Low Carb & Low Calorie Diet for Rapid Weight Loss Book
Price: 4.41

1.0 out of 5 stars An absolute ripoff of a free product, 7 Nov 2013
I agree totally with reviewer D Schmidt. This is a total ripoff of something that is widely available on the web at no cost (just gurgle search the term).
I'm a Kindle author, writing under a pen name (as I think this 'author' is doing), however, where we differ is I research and write real 300+ page books for Kindle whereas there is a movement afoot, brought about by the Internet Marketing community, to use Kindle as a get rich quick scheme. There are hundreds of 'Kindle Millionaire' type courses that recommend finding free stuff on the web, and quickly repackaging it as 'fresh meat' and uploading it to the Kindle platform.
This diet has been widely available for years now on the web as a free download. It's one A4 side of text - this appears to have been blown up to a monster 28 pages (in arial 25 point type to fill the page?) and would have been a ripoff at 77p.
At this price it is a diabolical affront.
Amazon needs to clamp down on this sort of thing quickly, or the Kindle will be awash with pap like this.
Disgraceful. Stay well away, and search the web for the same thing for nothing.
I hope this review stopped you from wasting your money.
I'll get my coat.