Profile for D. Davies > Reviews

24 Hours
24 Hours
Offered by Bee-Entertained

5.0 out of 5 stars He's... good!, 22 Dec. 2008
This review is from: 24 Hours (Audio CD)
I've been a Tom Jones fan for many years, he's just cool. Great voice and appears to sing effortlessly. Now, I am NOT a fan of Strictly Come Dancing but I happened to be channel hopping when I found him singing on the BBC1 series ([]) and I just stopped.

Watch him sing. No effort at all. He just... sings. Amazing. I was captivated.

Finally got around to buying this album over the weekend and I sat down, earphones in, and listened to it from start to finish. It really is a great album. All the songs are good and in my opinion there isn't a duff one in there. There's a few in here which will make a 'best of' album in the future.

Watch Tom on Strictly Come Dancing (YouTube) and then buy the album here at Amazon. I went for the MP3 download. Today, I've listened to the album twice. :-)

Go Tom Go!

Shure Se210 Sound Isolating Earphones- Black
Shure Se210 Sound Isolating Earphones- Black

5.0 out of 5 stars SE210 - Worth the money if you like music, 21 Dec. 2008
I've previously been a Sony earphone fan having bought many pairs of EX71s. The 71s cost about £35 when I started buying them a few years ago so they weren't necessarily a cheap set. However, Sony has moved on from them and last week it was time for me too.

I've been watching Shure for a number of years and I thought I'd take the plunge and buy some SE210s having received some Amazon vouchers and with Christmas coming up (a gift to myself!).

The earphones arrived and I looked forward to trying them out with my iPod. However, disappointment was the prime feeling as the right-hand earphone had an annoying and very obvious rattle/distortion when played anything above quiet. I was straight on to the Amazon website on Saturday night and completion the return form. The next day, Sunday, Amazon had replied and a new set was despatched by Special Delivery - fantastic service from Amazon!!!

The new set work perfectly. No sign of the previous fault. The sound is fantastic, clear and crisp. In my view the entire range of audio is perfect - and audio often being subjective and very much a personal thing, you should really hear it for yourself but the sound quality is far superior to headsets I've previously used. This includes Bose noise cancelling headphones which I've used extensively - the SE210s are better, in my opinion.

The cable is slightly thicker than with a 'normal' pair of earphones and represents the quality of this product. The cable is split in two with a quality connector about a foot from the earphones. This is good as you can keep your iPod in your shirt pocket without having to cope with a full 3 feet of cable hanging around.

The earphones came fitted with foam buds but the box contained a range of different buds of various sizes to suit all ears and tastes. P. Cavaney, reviewing below (2-star rating) commented on the foam buds being "glued" to the earphones. I too thought this when I received my set, however after a bit of investigation they came off easily with a rotating motion like unscrewing the bud from the earphone. The foam bud is attached (glued) to a small plastic tube which slides over the earphone pipe. I understand P. Cavaney's comments but I believe that it wasn't a fault with the earphones - but I DO agree that they did appear to be glued on to the earphones at first inspection. :-)

Currently can't find any negative points for these earphones. If you can stretch to the £70 and you like music, then by a set today!

Ironkey 2GB Standard Edition with 1 Year Internet Protection
Ironkey 2GB Standard Edition with 1 Year Internet Protection

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and Secure, 6 Nov. 2008
Don't worry about your data - if you lose this memory stick your files and photos are safe!

Firstly, the device itself is a sturdy thing, not like the cheap/free USB devices you normally have lying around the office or home. The IronKey is made of metal so you won't be accidentally breaking this little beauty. And having said that, it is a nice device to look at and it feels nice to hold. It's solid.

The important feature with this device is that all your data is secure. Whatever you put on it will be securely encrypted by the device itself. Only you and your password can unlock the device and view the files. If you lose the Ironkey, and it's found, the data remains encrypted and safe. If someone then tries to unlock it by guessing the password, he only has 10 attempts before the device destroys your data and then destroys the device. Okay, there won't be any smoke but once the device has been wiped, the Ironkey goes one step further and destroys its internal operation (effectively committing suicide!). The Ironkey can then not be reformatted nor reactivated - it becomes just a bit of metal and plastic.

You also get 1 year of online service which includes secure web surfing which is great if you visit a lot of coffee shops or Internet cafes. Secure surfing is slower but it keeps all your browsing off the host computer leaving no trace of your session behind - so you should be okay to visit your online bank account anywhere.

Okay, £60 is a lot for 2GB of USB flash, but you are getting a lot more for your money.

If only our civil servants used these then if they leave their Ironkey on a train, nobody would ever know what's inside it. :-)

The Sermon!
The Sermon!

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't jazz-up this review, 27 Jun. 2008
This review is from: The Sermon! (Audio CD)
Okay I can't give a technical review of this album but I can say that it's a great purchase. Good to sit and chill to, good to have on whilst dining, good to immerse yourself in.

Whether you're a jazz fan or not, try the samples here on Amazon and then take the plunge - it really is worth. it.

Slow Cooking for Yourself: Restaurant quality food ready when you walk through the door!: Restaurant Quality Food-ready When You Walk Through Your Door
by Catherine Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow Slow, Quick Quick Slow, 25 May 2008
I don't buy many cookery books but I bought this one at the same time I bought my slow cooker from Amazon.

Living on your own? Then this book is perfect. It's one of the few books I've found which gives you great, tasty recipes designed for one person. All the other books I've bought assume that you'll have a family of four or, at least, you'll be cooking for four. This book is different and although the recipes do give you a fair amount of food, it's just enough to save for tomorrow or throw in the freezer - as the book suggests.

There are some nice recipes in here and they're fairly easy to prepare. Then, just wait 9 hours and you're ready to eat!

Swift Spice 34 cm/ 14-inch Heavy Gauge Carbon Steel Wok
Swift Spice 34 cm/ 14-inch Heavy Gauge Carbon Steel Wok
Offered by Online Kitchenware

5.0 out of 5 stars Wok a great price!, 24 May 2008
My wok arrived yesterday. Earlier in the day I'd been out buying all the ingredients to make my first stir fry. IT was good!

This wok is really high quality. It's solid and heavy and gives you a sense of 'I can master any oriental cuisine'. At only £12 you can't really go wrong here.

The heavy steel pan has a couple of strong hard wood handles which aid the cooking process - you'll need to use two hands as the wok is pretty heavy!.

This is my first wok and my first attempt at stir fry. So, for £12 I bought a high quality wok which will last me a long time, but if I fail or get bored with stir fry, I've only "wasted" £12.

Add to Basket.

Everlast Mens Chinning Bar - Black (Old Version)
Everlast Mens Chinning Bar - Black (Old Version)
Offered by De Siam Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars How does it work???, 10 May 2008
I've always wanted a chin-up bar but never liked the idea of drilling/screwing into the door frame. Stumbled across this Everlast bar last weekend whilst browsing Amazon.

It sounded too good to be true, a bar which requires no permanent fixings and can be removed with ease. You can't really tell from Amazon's photos how it works so I bit the bullet and ordered one.

It takes a little bit of effort to assemble the bar but as long as you have a couple of spanners you'll be fine. Before long the bar was assembled and ready for the first test. To install the bar, you slip the wooden bar on one side of the upper door frame and it rests on the top of the frame, against the wall. The two smallest foam pads (see photo above) on the main horizontal metal bar make contact with the vertical door frames on the opposite side of the door/wall to the wooden bar. That's it. Nothing else. To remove, just lift slightly and rotate the wooden bar through the doorway.

The chin-up bar doesn't appear to put any downward force onto the top horizontal of the door frame during use and the foam pads protect the frame from damage. The wooden bar appears to keep the chin-up bar in place when you're not hanging from it.

After a few days use, there's still no real damage to the wall or door frame. The wooden bar does have a black strip which resembles sandpaper - this must act as friction to hold the device in place. This has left a small amount of marking on the wall but it's not serious.

All in all, it's a good product and it also doubles as a push-up aid and a handy place to hang clothes!

The Runner's Handbook: The Best-selling Classic Fitness Guide for Beginner and Intermediate Runner
by Bob Glover

5.0 out of 5 stars Run Baby Run, 4 May 2008
If you're training for your first marathon, a 5k 'Race for Life' or just trying to get fit then this book will help with your motivation.

It's a thick book full of information about how to run, when to run and what will compliment your training. It's a US book so some of the info is US-orientated but still valid on this side of the so called 'pond'. I've skipped many chapters and cherry-picked the information I felt applicable to my needs. It's a good book which I find to be more of a motivational tool rather than a book which defines my running.

It's aimed at the serious runner, a competitor. That's not me - I run to keep fit, I don't run in competitions. However, the book is still a worthwhile purchase and it does help you run, and as I said, it's quite motivational.

Logitech Harmony 885 Advanced Universal Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 885 Advanced Universal Remote Control

5.0 out of 5 stars Megalomania - control everything!, 30 April 2008
Most people these days have at least two remotes around the TV, probably more. The Harmony range of remotes enables you to reduce the clutter-count and combine all functionality into one unit.

To set this remote up you'll need a computer and a connection to the Internet. Once you've installed the software basic setup of the remote is fairly simple - select the type of equipment (TV, DVD etc), then the make and then the model number. The software then ensures that the remote is programmed with all the relevant codes. That's it really, from that point you can control your devices. However, using "activities" allows you to really use the power of this remote.

An example Activity is "Watch My TV". Once set up, when you walk into your lounge you press the "Watch My TV" button and the remote turns on your TV, your FreeView/Sky box, your audio system and anything else you need. It'll also ensure that everything is set to the correct inputs/outputs so you TV just works.

It may take you a while to fine-tune your remote to operate exactly how you want it but that's half the fun. You try it, you modify it and you perfect it.

This is a customizable remote control which can be really powerful. If you simply want a basic universal remote control then look elsewhere. If you want an all-singing, all-dancing king of remotes then this, or one of the other Harmony remotes, is the thing to buy.

Sigg City World Thermo Mugs 0.5l
Sigg City World Thermo Mugs 0.5l

5.0 out of 5 stars Gimme Coffee - now!, 13 April 2008
The mug is really well made and it feels high quality and nice to hold. The handle smells a little rubbery at first, but the smell soon fades. Please note that this is a mug and not a flask. It is not designed to be water-tight, coffee-tight or any other type of -tight. As with any mug, if you put it on its side when there's liquid in it, it will spill that liquid. The Sigg Mug does have a top/lid which has a little sliding cover on it but this is purely for keeping as much heat in the mug as possible, it's not a water-tight seal. As for doing its job, it does that very well and half a litre of coffee stays hot for quite a while. Worth the money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5