Profile for D. Davies > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Hang Cool Teddy Bear
Hang Cool Teddy Bear

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Okay, 23 April 2010
This review is from: Hang Cool Teddy Bear (Audio CD)
3 stars = it's okay.

I can't get into this album. There's nothing great on it, in my opinion and that's a shame. A few of the tracks just seem like he's an angry man shouting into the microphone with a less than perfect backing track.

I suppose the 'Bat Out Of Hell' tracks are a pretty iconic and are a lot to live up to... they're a big part of my life in the 90s (yes, I was late to Meat Loaf's music!) and those great tracks do bring back some good memories. However, the tracks on Hang Cool Teddy Bear won't (I don't think) be transporting my mind back to 2010 in the future.

I'll keep listening but initial plays aren't lighting any audio fires.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2010 6:57 PM BST

Bialetti Moka Express Espresso Maker, 6 Cup
Bialetti Moka Express Espresso Maker, 6 Cup

4.0 out of 5 stars It Makes, mmm, Coffee, 18 Jan 2010
Having made coffee in a cafetiere for years, I thought I'd try out one of these Bialetti espresso makers.

But the first question was: what size? 1, 2, 3 cups...? I took pot luck (no pun intended!) and selected this "6 cup" Moka Express. I'm not sure about Bialetti's cup sizes but filling the water tank to the 'maximum' mark produces enough coffee for one standard coffee mug and about three of the little Pantone Colour Match Espresso Cups and Saucer in Coffee Colours, Set of 4.

The product appears well made and of suitably high quality. You can buy spare parts which is always a good sign (filters, seals and handles) that a product is expected to be with you for years to come.

Obviously what the coffee actually tastes like is more a factor of coffee bean choice, but this does improve the flavour of my coffee relative to the cafetiere method - and it looks pretty cool too!

Light My Fire Spork Titanium
Light My Fire Spork Titanium
Offered by CuteBitz Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Light (...My Fire), 19 Dec 2009
A metal version of the original Spork. This is classy, strong and light and being made of Titanium it should last as long as you do!

I bought this to put in my work bag so that I always have the right 'tool' to attach my Boots meal deal salads or pasta.

Highly recommended.

Inception (International)
Inception (International)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, take a change - it's under £4, 9 Aug 2009
I haven't heard of this chap before but through Amazon and Last.fm recommendations I've discovered him.

I can't rate this album relative to his others, as my fellow reviewer has, but I think this is an excellent album. I've been looking for another pianist for a while; my favourite is Oscar Peterson Piano Moods - The Definitive but Tyner is going to be high on my playlists for a while.

I downloaded this album earlier this evening and it hasn't stopped playing since.

Garmin Handlebar mounting bracket
Garmin Handlebar mounting bracket

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Mount - For the Garmin 60 series!, 14 Jun 2009
Bought this for my 60CSx.

The mount comes in two parts: the mount which attaches to the bike and the cradle which clips onto the GPS receiver. The mount attaches to the handlebar in the usual way, it opens, you clamp it around the handlebar and you tighten the screw. It's supplied with two rubber spacers (one thick, one thin) to put around the handlebar to ensure a firm grip. However, in fitting this to my Trek mountain bike, neither spacer was suitable - the thick was too thick and the thin too thin. To get around this, I created my own additional spacer with some insulation tape.

Once the mount is attached, you simply slide/snap the cradle onto it. It fixes firmly and securely and is removed by depressing a button and sliding out. I don't use any additional securing method, as some other reviews have mentioned, I feel the Garmin mount is secure enough - even when jumping the bike!

This is an excellent mount if you have a 60 series Garmin receiver. It won't fit the eTrex or other Garmins. Ideally, Amazon should change the title of the item to reflect the fact that this is for the 60 series!

One more thing: the photo here shows a black cable tie attached to the cradle - not sure why. There wasn't one in my box and I don't see the need for one.

So, in summary, if you're looking to secure your Garmin 60 series to your bike, then look no further. This is a great, secure way of keeping you receiver in sight whilst riding.

24 Hours
24 Hours
Offered by Bee-Entertained

5.0 out of 5 stars He's... good!, 22 Dec 2008
This review is from: 24 Hours (Audio CD)
I've been a Tom Jones fan for many years, he's just cool. Great voice and appears to sing effortlessly. Now, I am NOT a fan of Strictly Come Dancing but I happened to be channel hopping when I found him singing on the BBC1 series ([]) and I just stopped.

Watch him sing. No effort at all. He just... sings. Amazing. I was captivated.

Finally got around to buying this album over the weekend and I sat down, earphones in, and listened to it from start to finish. It really is a great album. All the songs are good and in my opinion there isn't a duff one in there. There's a few in here which will make a 'best of' album in the future.

Watch Tom on Strictly Come Dancing (YouTube) and then buy the album here at Amazon. I went for the MP3 download. Today, I've listened to the album twice. :-)

Go Tom Go!

Shure Se210 Sound Isolating Earphones- Black
Shure Se210 Sound Isolating Earphones- Black

5.0 out of 5 stars SE210 - Worth the money if you like music, 21 Dec 2008
I've previously been a Sony earphone fan having bought many pairs of EX71s. The 71s cost about £35 when I started buying them a few years ago so they weren't necessarily a cheap set. However, Sony has moved on from them and last week it was time for me too.

I've been watching Shure for a number of years and I thought I'd take the plunge and buy some SE210s having received some Amazon vouchers and with Christmas coming up (a gift to myself!).

The earphones arrived and I looked forward to trying them out with my iPod. However, disappointment was the prime feeling as the right-hand earphone had an annoying and very obvious rattle/distortion when played anything above quiet. I was straight on to the Amazon website on Saturday night and completion the return form. The next day, Sunday, Amazon had replied and a new set was despatched by Special Delivery - fantastic service from Amazon!!!

The new set work perfectly. No sign of the previous fault. The sound is fantastic, clear and crisp. In my view the entire range of audio is perfect - and audio often being subjective and very much a personal thing, you should really hear it for yourself but the sound quality is far superior to headsets I've previously used. This includes Bose noise cancelling headphones which I've used extensively - the SE210s are better, in my opinion.

The cable is slightly thicker than with a 'normal' pair of earphones and represents the quality of this product. The cable is split in two with a quality connector about a foot from the earphones. This is good as you can keep your iPod in your shirt pocket without having to cope with a full 3 feet of cable hanging around.

The earphones came fitted with foam buds but the box contained a range of different buds of various sizes to suit all ears and tastes. P. Cavaney, reviewing below (2-star rating) commented on the foam buds being "glued" to the earphones. I too thought this when I received my set, however after a bit of investigation they came off easily with a rotating motion like unscrewing the bud from the earphone. The foam bud is attached (glued) to a small plastic tube which slides over the earphone pipe. I understand P. Cavaney's comments but I believe that it wasn't a fault with the earphones - but I DO agree that they did appear to be glued on to the earphones at first inspection. :-)

Currently can't find any negative points for these earphones. If you can stretch to the £70 and you like music, then by a set today!

Ironkey 2GB Standard Edition with 1 Year Internet Protection
Ironkey 2GB Standard Edition with 1 Year Internet Protection

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and Secure, 6 Nov 2008
Don't worry about your data - if you lose this memory stick your files and photos are safe!

Firstly, the device itself is a sturdy thing, not like the cheap/free USB devices you normally have lying around the office or home. The IronKey is made of metal so you won't be accidentally breaking this little beauty. And having said that, it is a nice device to look at and it feels nice to hold. It's solid.

The important feature with this device is that all your data is secure. Whatever you put on it will be securely encrypted by the device itself. Only you and your password can unlock the device and view the files. If you lose the Ironkey, and it's found, the data remains encrypted and safe. If someone then tries to unlock it by guessing the password, he only has 10 attempts before the device destroys your data and then destroys the device. Okay, there won't be any smoke but once the device has been wiped, the Ironkey goes one step further and destroys its internal operation (effectively committing suicide!). The Ironkey can then not be reformatted nor reactivated - it becomes just a bit of metal and plastic.

You also get 1 year of online service which includes secure web surfing which is great if you visit a lot of coffee shops or Internet cafes. Secure surfing is slower but it keeps all your browsing off the host computer leaving no trace of your session behind - so you should be okay to visit your online bank account anywhere.

Okay, £60 is a lot for 2GB of USB flash, but you are getting a lot more for your money.

If only our civil servants used these then if they leave their Ironkey on a train, nobody would ever know what's inside it. :-)

The Sermon!
The Sermon!

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't jazz-up this review, 27 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Sermon! (Audio CD)
Okay I can't give a technical review of this album but I can say that it's a great purchase. Good to sit and chill to, good to have on whilst dining, good to immerse yourself in.

Whether you're a jazz fan or not, try the samples here on Amazon and then take the plunge - it really is worth. it.

Slow Cooking for Yourself: Restaurant quality food ready when you walk through the door!: Restaurant Quality Food-ready When You Walk Through Your Door
by Catherine Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow Slow, Quick Quick Slow, 25 May 2008
I don't buy many cookery books but I bought this one at the same time I bought my slow cooker from Amazon.

Living on your own? Then this book is perfect. It's one of the few books I've found which gives you great, tasty recipes designed for one person. All the other books I've bought assume that you'll have a family of four or, at least, you'll be cooking for four. This book is different and although the recipes do give you a fair amount of food, it's just enough to save for tomorrow or throw in the freezer - as the book suggests.

There are some nice recipes in here and they're fairly easy to prepare. Then, just wait 9 hours and you're ready to eat!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4