Profile for alan > Reviews

Content by alan

alan "__al__at___amazon"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Intel Core i5 4690K Processor (3.5 GHz, 6 MB Cache, LGA1150 Socket)
Intel Core i5 4690K Processor (3.5 GHz, 6 MB Cache, LGA1150 Socket)
Offered by shopherellc

5.0 out of 5 stars good stuff!, 11 July 2015
Great, and I've had it overclocked to 4.3 GHz automatically by the motherboard- but the fan noise was noticeable because of the extra heat generated by overclocking. I could reduce the heat and possibly get a higher overclock speed by manually adjusting the settings, such as the supply voltage but it's fast enough at the standard speed so that's how it's set up to run, If I need to overclock then 4.1 GHz is quiet and the chip consumes less power so runs cooler. When you get the cpu it is the luck of the draw how well it will overclock but the i5 4690K should fare better than the i5 4670K because of the improved heatsink construction by Intel. I got the i5 rather than the equivalent i7 because it's just as good for the kinds of programs I run, and the price jump was too much for the minimal gains I would get.

Xpelair Xodus XX100T Extract Timer Fan
Xpelair Xodus XX100T Extract Timer Fan
Offered by MCD Electrical - Established 1993

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought two of these a few weeks apart. ..., 10 July 2015
I bought two of these a few weeks apart. They have a slightly different internal layout to the fans they replaced but not too much of a problem. The old ones were noisy but must have been in use for over 15-20 years so these were a vast improvement.

ASRock Mod 1150 Z97 Extreme4 ATX Motherboard
ASRock Mod 1150 Z97 Extreme4 ATX Motherboard

3.0 out of 5 stars Good. And Bad., 10 July 2015
I like this motherboard, the UEFI BIOS is pretty good and logically set out. There are a few over-clocking options not available compared to the gaming motherboards but all of the important ones are there.
It's performed well, but I've just had the 'not booting' problem, ASRock have responded quickly with suggestions of things to try but ASRock have given a strange instruction about installing the version 1.50a if it boots - but the latest version is 2.10

I do like the board apart from this no boot issue, ASRock responded quickly with some suggestions and have told me to arrange a return via the supplier if they don't help. So I can't really fault their support up to now.

Yes. I'm disappointed with this particular board but not ASRock or my supplier who are also being very helpful so I'm going to give this 3 stars- if I'd posted my thoughts before I had this issue it would have been 5 stars.

Stanley Heavy-Duty Glue Gun
Stanley Heavy-Duty Glue Gun

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff!, 13 Feb. 2015
Good- has lasted way longer than the last one I had (different make). Two temperature settings widens the choice of glue sticks that can be used. Recommended!

Tefal Quick Cup Claris Filter Cartridge
Tefal Quick Cup Claris Filter Cartridge
Offered by WowDiscounts

4.0 out of 5 stars :-), 13 Feb. 2015
They're filters that do make a difference- you can taste it!

AC 15A/250V 10A/380V Screw Terminals On/Off/On 4PDT Toggle Switch
AC 15A/250V 10A/380V Screw Terminals On/Off/On 4PDT Toggle Switch
Offered by sourcingmap

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, recommended!, 13 Feb. 2015
Used for switching between two high current 36V 15Ah LiFePO4 batteries capable of giving 36V 30Ah or 72V 15Ah at up to 50 Amps continuous / 100 Amp peak. They've lasted so good stuff!

Panasonic RP-SDUBG08GAK 8GB SDHC Memory Card
Panasonic RP-SDUBG08GAK 8GB SDHC Memory Card
Offered by Technomobiles

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, 13 Feb. 2015
Still working after all this time.

Sansa Fuze 8gb MP3 Player Black
Sansa Fuze 8gb MP3 Player Black

5.0 out of 5 stars :-), 13 Feb. 2015
Good, still working after many years. The memory card option is great!

Pure Accessory - Charge PAK C6L Rechargeable Battery Pack for Pure
Pure Accessory - Charge PAK C6L Rechargeable Battery Pack for Pure
Offered by Tribal UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 13 Feb. 2015
Good, and gives an excellent play time. Not cheap but definitely worth getting!

SAMSUNG DVD-SH895M DVD Recorder 250GB Hard Drive DVB-T with Freeview+ HDMI Full HD 1080p Upscaling USB Host

4.0 out of 5 stars Still working!, 13 Feb. 2015
OK, I've read the other reviews and after 5 years use it is still working.
The display is not worth the bother as it's way too dim and you need to be no more than a couple of metres away to make anything out, and when next to the tv (where it would normally be) it's hardly visible even in a darkened room - the light from the tv drowns it out.
I think the menus could be a bit better organised- something like the commonly used ones grouped for everyday use, with the full set for when needed but that's something that could be adopted by all makers for all devices not just Samsung for a 3 in 1 device (TV tuner, DVD and hard disk recorder).
It's getting on in years now so I miss a T2 HD freeview tuner in the box but it paired with an Icecrypt T2200 for when I wanted to record HDTV but the tuner in that died a short while ago.
All in all I've been happy with this unit- even the DVD has lasted but I've got 2 or 3 bare drives if needed but you can get new ones for £10 - £20 if you haven't one lying around.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4