Profile for Mrs. S. L. Bennett > Reviews

Content by Mrs. S. L. Bennett

Mrs. S. L. Bennett "Book Wyrm" (Cornwall, UK)

Sherlock - Series 1 [DVD]
Sherlock - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch
Offered by MediaMerchants
Price: 4.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable viewing, 9 Aug 2010
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Having watched all three episodes on the TV, I have to say I thought the writers and actors did a cracking job. I was more than pleasantly surprised how well the Sherlock Holmes stories stood up to being given a modern update. The dialogue was well written and thought out. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman worked really well together onscreen, giving their characters depth and perspective. It was great to see Una Stubbs back onscreen.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed it. All I can say is encore, encore! Come on Beeb, lets have another series.

Gelert Horizon 6 Person Tent - Black Forest/Meadow Mist/Cocoa
Gelert Horizon 6 Person Tent - Black Forest/Meadow Mist/Cocoa

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic tent, 15 Mar 2010
We bought a Gelert Horizon 6 last year after trying out camping for the first time in 2008. We had a little four man tent for our first camping foray and discovered that we love camping so we needed to upgrade. The four man tent wasn't high enough for us (hubby 6ft 3in) so we did a lot of research and the Gelert Horizon ticked all our boxes. It has a sewn-in groundsheet (ideal seeing as we had a lot of rain when we first went camping) and if you remember to close the flysheets, then you have a bug free tent! Hubby can stand up quite comfortably in it without bashing his head. There are two bedroom pods and a good sized general living area in the middle although if you had 6 in there, it might be a bit of a squash.

The tent poles are all colour coded and it was so easy to get the tent up, it only took us 30 to 40 minutes (thats erecting the tent, putting the sleeping pods in and hammering in all the tent pegs). Its just as easy to dismantle and fits away nicely into its own carrying bag. We thought we'd never get the tent back in but it fitted in easily.

I think our camping expeditions last year certainly put the tent through its paces. At Whitsun we camped near Perranporth for a week. It was extremely windy and although tents around us broke their poles, ours stood up very well. In August, we went to Somerset. Again it was windy and we had some rain but we felt safe and secure at all times and happy, with the sewn-in groundsheet, that we were not going to get washed out.

I would highly recommend this tent for anyone who has tried camping and decided they want to do more. We are a family of 3, so the Horizon 6 gives us plenty of room but I would guess it would be a squeeze if there were 6 people in it. On the whole, its a great tent for a good price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2013 7:52 PM GMT

The Spook's Apprentice: No.1: Book 1
The Spook's Apprentice: No.1: Book 1
by Joseph Delaney

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute gem of a book.......spellbinding!, 14 Aug 2007
It makes a refreshing change to find a book that absorbs your attention from the very first sentence until the end without you getting bored half way through. And I can say with confidence that Joe Delaney writes this sort of book. It was a pleasure to read (in fact I could hardly put it down!), no complicated or twisted plots, just an extremely good tale, spun by someone who is surely Rumplestiltskin in disguise, because this book is pure gold. 24 carat gold, in fact. Buy it, read it, I can guarantee you'll enjoy it!

Hot Fuzz (2 Disc Special Edition) [2007] [DVD]
Hot Fuzz (2 Disc Special Edition) [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Ribtickling Fun!, 21 Jun 2007
Its not often I see a film these days that will make me snort with laughter, however, "Hot Fuzz" was so good that my husband and I couldn't stop chortling. Its a parody of almost every cop film you'll ever see, mixed in with a good dose of The Sweeney and The Professionals.

Simon Pegg, who plays Nicholas Angle...sorry Angel (hehe), takes a leaf out of Charlie Sheen's book and plays his character straight. He's so serious to the point that it is extremely funny (just like Sheen's Topper Harley in "Hot Shots"). When Angel is sent to Sandford, he finds himself in a community that appears to be too good to be true. However, I won't say any more as I don't want to spoil the plot.

With an excellent cast of co-stars taken from the cream of British Actors and Actresses, I cannot recommend this film too highly. It had all the feel of the good old days of British Comedy when "Porridge" and "Fawlty Towers" reigned supreme.

Falling for You
Falling for You
by Jill Mansell
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure genius!, 22 Mar 2007
This review is from: Falling for You (Paperback)
I hadn't read a Jill Mansell book in a while but I picked this one up and loved it from start to finish. It reminded me of Ms Mansell's earlier stories, which I feel were her best books. "Falling for You" has all the ingredients that make up a brilliant and amusing story.

If you have to take only one book on holiday with you this year, then I recommend that you take this one. You'll laugh, I guarantee it!

The War of the Worlds
The War of the Worlds
Offered by Japan-Select
Price: 33.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless classic....buy it now!, 17 Jun 2005
This review is from: The War of the Worlds (Audio CD)
I first heard this recording about 15 years ago, when we studied the book, "War of the Worlds" at school. One of my fellow students then brought this album in and we listened to it. Richard Burton's narration is outstanding, punctuated by excellent songs such as "Forever Autumn" and "Thunderchild". I bought my very own copy soon after that. There are many talented musicians and actors associated with this production.
I am absolutely delighted to learn that Jeff Wayne's album is being re-released. This is a masterpiece. You'll love it! Buy it today!