Profile for Sue > Reviews

Content by Sue
Top Reviewer Ranking: 625

Sue (C.I.)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Roberts Radio Sports DAB5 DAB/DAB+/FM Personal Digital Radio - White
Roberts Radio Sports DAB5 DAB/DAB+/FM Personal Digital Radio - White
Price: 45.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight - until you add the batteries!, 26 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I took this out the packaging my first thought was how light it was - followed by how cheap and plasticky it felt. Anyway I put the batteries (2 x AA which makes the radio not so light after all!) and turned it on and it immediately scanned for and found all the main BBC Radio stations. I had to consult the instructions to be able to scan for non-BBC stations but it was easy enough (albeit a bit slow).
The radio has a lock button so you can't accidentally turn it on, off, or change stations if you want that function. There are 5 preset buttons, and it comes with earphones. Despite being described as a "Sport" radio there is no clip to attach it to yourself or your clothing, so I guess you would just have to find a sports armband to fit it in.
The positives I can say are that the sound is good quality whether DAB or FM; it also has a decent sized screen which displays the station name or number. It is also easy to use without the instructions, and the instructions are easy to follow should you need them.
Given that most mobile phones have a radio, as do many MP3 players (which being USB charged, are also significantly lighter than this), unless you specifically want a portable digital radio, I wouldn't recommend this.

Koo-DI Sun and Sleep Stroller Cover (Charcoal Grey)
Koo-DI Sun and Sleep Stroller Cover (Charcoal Grey)
Price: 12.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 24 July 2014
We got this as we seemed to be getting too many sunshades which didn't work / fell to bits / didn't fit our two pushchairs (We have the Cosatto Giggle and the Hauck Lima).
My parents ripped me for using this and started calling our baby "Blanket" but actually its been really good - we went for a walk where baby was facing the sun (was about 8 pm so sun was fairly low) and he would have been blinded, and the normal hood / a normal canopy wouldn't have helped. as it was he was still able to feel a cool breeze without the bright light, and fell asleep within less than 5 minutes. Had he been without this he would have been squirming with discomfort from the bright sunlight.
When not directly in bright light we also use it to create a nice dark environment (without visible distractions - he does love to watch what's going on) for him to have a nap; OK it can't do anything about external noise but if you're somewhere fairly quiet, and baby is tired, this will definitely help him or her fall asleep quicker. We were also able to fold it half back up, so it was half down over the hood which gave baby's face some shade.
Not easy to see your baby through this and if you do up all the velcro fastenings it's not easy to get inside to attend to your baby - plus the sound of the velcro woke our baby up on occasions, so we got around this by only doing the side velcro bits up on one side. NB your pushchair must have a hood to ensure that this cover is away from baby's face.
I would recommend this.

Applaws Cat Tin Mackerel with Sweetcorn, 70 g, Pack of 24
Applaws Cat Tin Mackerel with Sweetcorn, 70 g, Pack of 24
Price: 19.74

5.0 out of 5 stars This stinks!, 20 July 2014
Do I love it? No - it stinks to high heaven!
But we tried a single tin with our cat who is a notoriously fussy eater, and he loved it, sweetcorn and all! Great price from Amazon, knocking about 10p a can off the local pet shop's price.

Sistema 3.2 Litre Large Microwave Steamer
Sistema 3.2 Litre Large Microwave Steamer
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Too big to rotate, 20 July 2014
I checked the measurements against our smallish microwave (Panasonic NN-E281MMBPQ 20 Litre Compact Microwave, Silver) and thought it would fit, well it does except that silly me forgot that when it rotates it is slightly longer corner to corner, and the handy corner bits to enable you to lift the steamer from the microwave are annoyingly in line with a ridge inside my microwave. Therefore the steamer doesn't rotate for me.
It cooks fairly well (carrots seem to take forever unless you cut them into sticks - I had to keep putting them back in) but some things came out a little burned on the edges. This may well be due to the fact that the steamer couldn't rotate.
The plastic tray in the steamer is a semi-opaque white, now slightly orange coloured due to the carrots!

Rapesco Power Assisted Heavy Duty Stapler
Rapesco Power Assisted Heavy Duty Stapler
Price: 30.55

5.0 out of 5 stars A heavy duty stapler that not only looks good on your desk but actually works without constantly jamming, 17 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not electric or battery as you might expect but a heavy duty stapler that not only looks good on your desk but actually works without constantly jamming. Just press down firmly on the long handle and it works a treat. I used it to staple 80 sheets of good quality glossy paper together with no trouble at all. A great addition is a slider that adjusts where the staples will be. No more haphazard stapling. It is not a cheap item at 42.50 (current Amazon price) but what you get is a quality item that will last. It is actually guaranteed for 5 years. It comes with a box of staples which are easily loaded so already to go. Over the years I have bought many cheap staplers but I realise now that was false economy. You get what you pay for and in this case the machine is worth every penny. Also at approx. 20 cm in length it will be hard to lose!

Hauck Lima Pushchair (Moonlight/ Capri)
Hauck Lima Pushchair (Moonlight/ Capri)

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely pushchair but not very substantial if you're looking for baby's ONLY pushchair., 12 July 2014
Got this at a bargain price of less than 45. Reclines fully (so perfect for our 6 month old baby to have a nap while on the go), and comes with a hood and a (basic) raincover. The leg support can be raised to provide support for little legs that aren't yet long enough to hang down and there's a bar (which currently helps retain toys which our baby seems to want to throw out of the pushchair!)

The shopping basket underneath is a bit small (and its very difficult to put in or remove items when the seat back is reclined) but the handles are a decent height (my husband was happy to push this and he is 6ft) (NB this also means that even folded, the pushchair is quite long and may not fit in your car boot). The handles go down quite far either side of the seat so if you do hang a bag from the handles they will sit quite low and not affect the centre of gravity as much as on some pushchairs.

This pushchair is easy to put up and fold down, there is a catch you have to engage manually when in the "umbrella" position though - its not automatic. You can even leave the bump bar and sunshade on the pushchair when folding it as they are both very flexible.

The wheels are basic and you won't get a smooth ride on the slightest bumpy terrain, but you can have the front wheels in either fixed or "swivel" position.
The brake isn't the strongest - in fact when I have started to wheel it (not realising the brake was on), it has just popped out of position, so you certainly couldn't park this on a steep slope with your precious cargo on board!

For the price we paid I think it's a great 2nd pushchair (to keep in my hubby's car, and to take away on holidays - or equally for grandparents to use) but I wouldn't recommend this as baby's only pushchair from birth. I have deducted one star for the small shopping basket and the slightly weak brake.

Pabobo Automatic Nightlight (Purple)
Pabobo Automatic Nightlight (Purple)
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice warm glow, 12 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This nightlight is quite bulky and protrudes quite a bit from the wall, but the purple gives it a nice warm glow. The light is not as bright as Sensor Light but that one is gives off a very cool colour. This one is bright enough to find your way around in the dark and the sensor is on a par with the Lindam.

For the current price - 10 for this vs 5.99 for the Lindam light - I would choose the Lindam light.

BT 300 Digital Baby Monitor
BT 300 Digital Baby Monitor
Price: 39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, but no added functions, 2 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
On first unpacking this monitor, I likes the look of it- the handset is dinky and the base unit is small too.
As per the instructions I charged it for 24 hours - actually I charged it for about 32 hours as I was expecting the red battery shaped light at the top to turn green, but it never did - flaw one.
I then plugged the base unit in and turned on the parent (portable) unit, they linked really quickly and there is a green "link" light that shows up on the parent unit.
You can turn the volume up and down but you don't know how loud or quiet you have it until there is noise at the base unit - flaw two. (NB on the penultimate turning down of the volume you get a beep, and on the last one the red "mute" light comes on)
Sound - I put my baby down to sleep with his cot mobile on, strangely on the monitor I can hear him fidgeting louder than I can hear the cot mobile - even though the mobile is closer to the base unit! I now have it down to the lowest setting and I can hear my baby sighing! When he cries it is very loud even on the lowest setting (and he doesn't cry loudly, not at first anyway!)
Nightlight - I like this - the base unit emits a decent orange glow - so no need for an extra nightlight!
Talkback feature - allows you to soothe your baby with the press of a button (although as most parents know, usually it takes your physical presence to do that!)

Summary negatives:
- no indication of when parent unit has finished charging
- very sensitive (might be an issue if you're a very light sleeper, and only want to be woken if your baby cries)
- can't turn on or off the nightlight from the parent unit
- no added features such as lullabies
- No display to tell you:
. - what volume setting you're using
. - what the temperature is, in the baby's room (have found this handy on the Philips Avent monitor we've been using)
. - what the time is (not something I often use, but can be handy in the middle of the night to work out if the baby might be hungry or just having a grumble!)

Positives
- sensitive to any noise (this can be a negative also!)
- talkback function
- good nightlight

As a basic monitor this is good, but if the price difference wasn't an issue I would recommend the Philips Avent monitor which has every function you could possibly need! See: Philips AVENT DECT Baby Monitor SCD560/01 with Light, Lullabies and Temperature Sensor

Stuff4 PU Leather Slim Folding Multi Position Case with Tri Fold Stand for Kindle Fire HD 8.9 - Blue
Price: 10.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but definitely some issues., 24 Jun 2014
This is a good quality product, but some issues:
- if you put the case on like a book opening (as per the picture), because of where the spaces are on the cover for buttons, your kindle will be upside down (i.e. power button on the bottom); (incidentally I never use the kindle landscape, always portrait, so this is really annoying!)
- the stylus, whilst a great touch, doesn't attach to the cover at all (you could slide it over the front cover, but then the "arm" of the stylus would be pressed against your kindle screen
- the screen protector was rubbish - I spent ages smoothing it on, getting rid of bubbles bar a couple of tiny specks, then lifted the 2nd tab where you're meant to and thought "wow - there are literally no bubbles left" - then realised the screen protector had come up with the protective removable sheet! (Once you take the screen protector off you have very little chance of getting it back on the screen looking even halfway decent!)

Heinz Strawberry/ Raspberry and Banana Fruit Pouch 4-36 Months 100 g (Pack of 6)
Price: 5.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby loves this (I think its quite tasty too!), 21 Jun 2014
We are just weaning our baby now, for ease we are using various pouches and small jars of babyfood (you can freeze the contents of these on the day you open it which is great as you won't use a whole pouch in the early stages, even over the course of 2 days - the contents are fine in the fridge for 24 hours after opening) so they do for a few meals.
Our baby will happily try everything we give him, but seems to absolutely love this flavour (the packaging also mentions there is apple in it as well as strawberry, raspberry and banana), so much so that he actually cries when we don't give him another spoonful!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20