Profile for Sue > Reviews

Content by Sue
Top Reviewer Ranking: 648

Sue (C.I.)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PaperPro 2 Hole Punch - Black/Silver
PaperPro 2 Hole Punch - Black/Silver
Price: 7.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sturdy hole punch, 26 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using the same hole punch for about 25 years now, it's pretty basic but for bank statements has done the job, however now there are 3 of us at home I tend to do a lot more hole-punching! My old hole punch could punch about 8 sheets of paper (and even then I would have to stand over it to get some weight on it) but didn't have the guide, just a little marker where the halfway point should be which meant folding the top sheet in half and lining up the crease with the guide mark.
This one has the guide, and its quite stiff but clicks into each setting - which is actually a good thing in my eyes - I very rarely hole-punch anything other than A4 pages, and at work my hole punch guide keeps getting knocked about meaning that when I go to file something it very rarely sits neatly in the middle (maybe I'm a little picky, bit I can't stand my paperwork being wonky!
The lever stands quite proudly but it has a setting to keep it in meaning it a) takes up less space and b) is less likely to hole-punch anything by accident. It's a decent heavy-weight metal with a slightly retro look to it (I'm sure we had an ancient version of this in my old job) and I am pretty sure its built to last.

Bright Starts Springin Safari Bounce A Round
Bright Starts Springin Safari Bounce A Round
Price: 70.65

3.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare to build, although baby likes it, 22 Aug 2014
Building it:
First thoughts on opening the box – my that’s a lot of pieces! So I had to open the instructions straight away (this is unusual for me – I usually have a go myself, but with this I had absolutely no idea where to start!)

I got to the point where the base, "bouncy" disc, uprights and tray area were all attached and started attaching the toys. The diagram wasn't entirely clear to me as in the picture only one of the three "tray" areas had holes for attaching items whereas in reality this had two, plus the trays in some of the diagrams (images 12-17) were lined up with the legs, but aren't in real life (nor in the images pre step 12 or post step 17!) so I ended up putting one of the orange hooks in where a toy should have gone, which meant the tree and the lion helter-skelter were right next to each other and therefore not easily accessibly for baby. Try as I might I could just not get the toys unclipped!
Once all the toys were on it was time to attach the seat fabric to the frame, unfortunately the black seat frame came already attached to the yellow part so brute force was required to get it out so I could attach the wheels and the seat fabric. It was also really difficult, once all the fabric was stretched over the seat frame, to get the remaining loops through the plastic to keep the fabric in place. Once done though and now in the frame, because of the wheels, it does turn a lot more easily than the jumperoo seat, although its not a smooth movement and you can hear the fabric rubbing against the frame.
One thing I do absolutely love though is the fact that the overhead arm with the mirror also has a toy clip so you can attach an extra toy – we will be attaching the red monkey from his http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisher-Price-BCG46-Rainforest-Friends-Bouncer/dp/B00HA0FB8E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408718564&sr=8-1&keywords=rainforest+friends+bouncer which he absolutely adores but at almost 20lbs is really too big for.

Baby:
He seems to like this more than the jumperoo (he doesn't jump much in the jumperoo, not sure if he's too big for it or what - he is quite long) and this has more toys for him. The step & Play jumperoo has 4 toys our baby can reach, of which he is only interested in 2, whereas this has 7 toys, plus the little hooks he can grab onto to move himself around.

Considering the price and the features I would personally choose the http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisher-Price-K6070-Rainforest-Jumperoo/dp/B000LXQVA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408718868&sr=8-1&keywords=fisher+price+rainforest+jumperoo over this Bounce-a-round, and I'm pretty sure the baby would choose this Bounce-around over the Step-n-Play Jumperoo - especially when I attach his favourite monkey :)

Philips GC8616/30 PerfectCare Aqua Iron Steam Generator with One Perfect Temperature and 240 g Steam Boost, 2500 ml, 2400 Watt, 5 Bar, Lilac
Price: 149.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm convinced!, 19 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've always had pretty basic steam irons, so when the opportunity to try this one came up I jumped at the chance. The Quick Start guide was basic, but sufficient, although I didn't realise that you had to keep the steam button (conveniently located n the underside of the handle) pressed the whole time you're ironing as the Quick Start guide was just pictures (and I only use the steam function on my regular iron for really stubborn creases) so I wasn't impressed with my first attempts at ironing a cotton pillowcase.
In sweeps my husband and he sets to work on his polycotton work shirts. The iron automatically adjusts the heat for different fabrics (although I'm not sure I would trust it on a very delicate fabric immediately after ironing something needing max heat!) and my husband said it was brilliant, even after his initial misgivings about the size (it's pretty big, if you're not used to a steam generator iron) and the weight (when the tank is full I can't actually lift it!) and "Where are we going to put it!!". So I'm happy because hubby is keen to do the ironing with "his" new gadget :)

Mamas & Papas Baby Snug (Teal)
Mamas & Papas Baby Snug (Teal)
Price: 39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby likes it!, 9 Aug 2014
Got this having read negative reports about the bumbo and problems associated with its use. I'd heard that sometimes babies might be too chunky for this type of seat so we borrowed my niece's seat before purchasing. Our large 7 month old (almost 20lbs of him) fits fine with a little room for leg manoevreability. The tray is a little fiddly to get on as the centre needs to alight with the post - which you can't see as baby / tray block your view - but it doesn't take long. The coloured insert is fairly soft and supports baby nicely.

The coloured insert comes out so baby can use the seat when he/she is a little older as well although as it doesn't look completely dissimilar to a potty (!) I'm not sure that we'll still be using it then, but it's nice to have the option.

Case-Mate Tough Case for Samsung Galaxy S5 - Black
Case-Mate Tough Case for Samsung Galaxy S5 - Black
Price: 13.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Sticky buttons?, 9 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is pretty good, there are two parts to it which fit together nicely - the silicone (soft) inner rubber part and the harder shell. There is a slight ridge on the front which means if you drop your phone face first (onto a flat surface) or place your phone face-down, the screen won't come into contact with anything.
Strangely (I guess because the cases combined are quite thick) the case comes with a button that fits against your phone's existing button. When we first put this on the phone, if we pressed the right hand button (on/off, flight safe etc) the volume (controlled by the left hand button) was changing! Once we had taken the case off and put it back on a couple of times the buttons were controlling the correct functions so I'm not sure if it was the "squeeze" of the case that made it go awry.

A screen protector should come as standard with a phone case of this price (but luckily we had already purchased a few).

Roberts Radio Sports DAB5 DAB/DAB+/FM Personal Digital Radio - White
Roberts Radio Sports DAB5 DAB/DAB+/FM Personal Digital Radio - White
Price: 46.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight - until you add the batteries!, 26 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I took this out the packaging my first thought was how light it was - followed by how cheap and plasticky it felt. Anyway I put the batteries (2 x AA which makes the radio not so light after all!) and turned it on and it immediately scanned for and found all the main BBC Radio stations. I had to consult the instructions to be able to scan for non-BBC stations but it was easy enough (albeit a bit slow).
The radio has a lock button so you can't accidentally turn it on, off, or change stations if you want that function. There are 5 preset buttons, and it comes with earphones. Despite being described as a "Sport" radio there is no clip to attach it to yourself or your clothing, so I guess you would just have to find a sports armband to fit it in.
The positives I can say are that the sound is good quality whether DAB or FM; it also has a decent sized screen which displays the station name or number. It is also easy to use without the instructions, and the instructions are easy to follow should you need them.
Given that most mobile phones have a radio, as do many MP3 players (which being USB charged, are also significantly lighter than this), unless you specifically want a portable digital radio, I wouldn't recommend this.

Koo-DI Sun and Sleep Stroller Cover (Charcoal Grey)
Koo-DI Sun and Sleep Stroller Cover (Charcoal Grey)
Price: 12.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 24 July 2014
We got this as we seemed to be getting too many sunshades which didn't work / fell to bits / didn't fit our two pushchairs (We have the Cosatto Giggle and the Hauck Lima).
My parents ripped me for using this and started calling our baby "Blanket" but actually its been really good - we went for a walk where baby was facing the sun (was about 8 pm so sun was fairly low) and he would have been blinded, and the normal hood / a normal canopy wouldn't have helped. as it was he was still able to feel a cool breeze without the bright light, and fell asleep within less than 5 minutes. Had he been without this he would have been squirming with discomfort from the bright sunlight.
When not directly in bright light we also use it to create a nice dark environment (without visible distractions - he does love to watch what's going on) for him to have a nap; OK it can't do anything about external noise but if you're somewhere fairly quiet, and baby is tired, this will definitely help him or her fall asleep quicker. We were also able to fold it half back up, so it was half down over the hood which gave baby's face some shade.
Not easy to see your baby through this and if you do up all the velcro fastenings it's not easy to get inside to attend to your baby - plus the sound of the velcro woke our baby up on occasions, so we got around this by only doing the side velcro bits up on one side. NB your pushchair must have a hood to ensure that this cover is away from baby's face.
I would recommend this.

Applaws Cat Tin Mackerel with Sweetcorn, 70 g, Pack of 24
Applaws Cat Tin Mackerel with Sweetcorn, 70 g, Pack of 24
Price: 19.97

5.0 out of 5 stars This stinks!, 20 July 2014
Do I love it? No - it stinks to high heaven!
But we tried a single tin with our cat who is a notoriously fussy eater, and he loved it, sweetcorn and all! Great price from Amazon, knocking about 10p a can off the local pet shop's price.

Sistema 3.2 Litre Large Microwave Steamer
Sistema 3.2 Litre Large Microwave Steamer
Price: 8.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Too big to rotate, 20 July 2014
I checked the measurements against our smallish microwave (Panasonic NN-E281MMBPQ 20 Litre Compact Microwave, Silver) and thought it would fit, well it does except that silly me forgot that when it rotates it is slightly longer corner to corner, and the handy corner bits to enable you to lift the steamer from the microwave are annoyingly in line with a ridge inside my microwave. Therefore the steamer doesn't rotate for me.
It cooks fairly well (carrots seem to take forever unless you cut them into sticks - I had to keep putting them back in) but some things came out a little burned on the edges. This may well be due to the fact that the steamer couldn't rotate.
The plastic tray in the steamer is a semi-opaque white, now slightly orange coloured due to the carrots!

Rapesco X5-90PS Less Effort Heavy Duty Stapler
Rapesco X5-90PS Less Effort Heavy Duty Stapler
Price: 34.46

5.0 out of 5 stars A heavy duty stapler that not only looks good on your desk but actually works without constantly jamming, 17 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not electric or battery as you might expect but a heavy duty stapler that not only looks good on your desk but actually works without constantly jamming. Just press down firmly on the long handle and it works a treat. I used it to staple 80 sheets of good quality glossy paper together with no trouble at all. A great addition is a slider that adjusts where the staples will be. No more haphazard stapling. It is not a cheap item at 42.50 (current Amazon price) but what you get is a quality item that will last. It is actually guaranteed for 5 years. It comes with a box of staples which are easily loaded so already to go. Over the years I have bought many cheap staplers but I realise now that was false economy. You get what you pay for and in this case the machine is worth every penny. Also at approx. 20 cm in length it will be hard to lose!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20