Profile for Sue > Reviews

Bright Starts Springin Safari Bounce A Round
Bright Starts Springin Safari Bounce A Round

4.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare to build, although baby likes it, 22 Aug. 2014
Building it:
First thoughts on opening the box - my that's a lot of pieces! So I had to open the instructions straight away (this is unusual for me - I usually have a go myself, but with this I had absolutely no idea where to start!)

I got to the point where the base, "bouncy" disc, uprights and tray area were all attached and started attaching the toys. The diagram wasn't entirely clear to me as in the picture only one of the three "tray" areas had holes for attaching items whereas in reality this had two, plus the trays in some of the diagrams (images 12-17) were lined up with the legs, but aren't in real life (nor in the images pre step 12 or post step 17!) so I ended up putting one of the orange hooks in where a toy should have gone, which meant the tree and the lion helter-skelter were right next to each other and therefore not easily accessibly for baby. Try as I might I could just not get the toys unclipped!
Once all the toys were on it was time to attach the seat fabric to the frame, unfortunately the black seat frame came already attached to the yellow part so brute force was required to get it out so I could attach the wheels and the seat fabric. It was also really difficult, once all the fabric was stretched over the seat frame, to get the remaining loops through the plastic to keep the fabric in place. Once done though and now in the frame, because of the wheels, it does turn a lot more easily than the jumperoo seat, although its not a smooth movement and you can hear the fabric rubbing against the frame.
One thing I do absolutely love though is the fact that the overhead arm with the mirror also has a toy clip so you can attach an extra toy - we will be attaching the red monkey from his Fisher-Price Rainforest Friends Bouncer

Baby:
He seems to like this more than the jumperoo (he doesn't jump much in the jumperoo, not sure if he's too big for it or what - he is quite long) and this has more toys for him. The step & Play jumperoo has 4 toys our baby can reach, of which he is only interested in 2, whereas this has 7 toys, plus the little hooks he can grab onto to move himself around.

Considering the price and the features I would personally choose the Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo over this Bounce-a-round, and I'm pretty sure the baby would choose this Bounce-around over the Step-n-Play Jumperoo - especially when I attach his favourite monkey :)

Philips GC8616/30 PerfectCare Aqua Steam Generator Iron with One Perfect Temperature - 240 g Steam Boost, 2.5 L, 2400 W, Lilac
Offered by freedom4life

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm convinced!, 19 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've always had pretty basic steam irons, so when the opportunity to try this one came up I jumped at the chance. The Quick Start guide was basic, but sufficient, although I didn't realise that you had to keep the steam button (conveniently located n the underside of the handle) pressed the whole time you're ironing as the Quick Start guide was just pictures (and I only use the steam function on my regular iron for really stubborn creases) so I wasn't impressed with my first attempts at ironing a cotton pillowcase.
In sweeps my husband and he sets to work on his polycotton work shirts. The iron automatically adjusts the heat for different fabrics (although I'm not sure I would trust it on a very delicate fabric immediately after ironing something needing max heat!) and my husband said it was brilliant, even after his initial misgivings about the size (it's pretty big, if you're not used to a steam generator iron) and the weight (when the tank is full I can't actually lift it!) and "Where are we going to put it!!". So I'm happy because hubby is keen to do the ironing with "his" new gadget :)

Mamas & Papas Baby Snug (Teal)
Mamas & Papas Baby Snug (Teal)

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby likes it!, 9 Aug. 2014
Got this having read negative reports about the bumbo and problems associated with its use. I'd heard that sometimes babies might be too chunky for this type of seat so we borrowed my niece's seat before purchasing. Our large 7 month old (almost 20lbs of him) fits fine with a little room for leg manoevreability. The tray is a little fiddly to get on as the centre needs to alight with the post - which you can't see as baby / tray block your view - but it doesn't take long. The coloured insert is fairly soft and supports baby nicely.

The coloured insert comes out so baby can use the seat when he/she is a little older as well although as it doesn't look completely dissimilar to a potty (!) I'm not sure that we'll still be using it then, but it's nice to have the option.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2014 10:57 AM BST

Case-Mate Tough Case for Samsung Galaxy S5 - Black
Case-Mate Tough Case for Samsung Galaxy S5 - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Sticky buttons?, 9 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is pretty good, there are two parts to it which fit together nicely - the silicone (soft) inner rubber part and the harder shell. There is a slight ridge on the front which means if you drop your phone face first (onto a flat surface) or place your phone face-down, the screen won't come into contact with anything.
Strangely (I guess because the cases combined are quite thick) the case comes with a button that fits against your phone's existing button. When we first put this on the phone, if we pressed the right hand button (on/off, flight safe etc) the volume (controlled by the left hand button) was changing! Once we had taken the case off and put it back on a couple of times the buttons were controlling the correct functions so I'm not sure if it was the "squeeze" of the case that made it go awry.

A screen protector should come as standard with a phone case of this price (but luckily we had already purchased a few).

Roberts Radio Sports DAB5 DAB/DAB+/FM Personal Digital Radio - White
Roberts Radio Sports DAB5 DAB/DAB+/FM Personal Digital Radio - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight - until you add the batteries!, 26 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I took this out the packaging my first thought was how light it was - followed by how cheap and plasticky it felt. Anyway I put the batteries (2 x AA which makes the radio not so light after all!) and turned it on and it immediately scanned for and found all the main BBC Radio stations. I had to consult the instructions to be able to scan for non-BBC stations but it was easy enough (albeit a bit slow).
The radio has a lock button so you can't accidentally turn it on, off, or change stations if you want that function. There are 5 preset buttons, and it comes with earphones. Despite being described as a "Sport" radio there is no clip to attach it to yourself or your clothing, so I guess you would just have to find a sports armband to fit it in.
The positives I can say are that the sound is good quality whether DAB or FM; it also has a decent sized screen which displays the station name or number. It is also easy to use without the instructions, and the instructions are easy to follow should you need them.
Given that most mobile phones have a radio, as do many MP3 players (which being USB charged, are also significantly lighter than this), unless you specifically want a portable digital radio, I wouldn't recommend this.

Koo-di Sun and Sleep Stroller Cover (Charcoal Grey)
Koo-di Sun and Sleep Stroller Cover (Charcoal Grey)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 24 July 2014
We got this as we seemed to be getting too many sunshades which didn't work / fell to bits / didn't fit our two pushchairs (We have the Cosatto Giggle and the Hauck Lima).
My parents ripped me for using this and started calling our baby "Blanket" but actually its been really good - we went for a walk where baby was facing the sun (was about 8 pm so sun was fairly low) and he would have been blinded, and the normal hood / a normal canopy wouldn't have helped. as it was he was still able to feel a cool breeze without the bright light, and fell asleep within less than 5 minutes. Had he been without this he would have been squirming with discomfort from the bright sunlight.
When not directly in bright light we also use it to create a nice dark environment (without visible distractions - he does love to watch what's going on) for him to have a nap; OK it can't do anything about external noise but if you're somewhere fairly quiet, and baby is tired, this will definitely help him or her fall asleep quicker. We were also able to fold it half back up, so it was half down over the hood which gave baby's face some shade.
Not easy to see your baby through this and if you do up all the velcro fastenings it's not easy to get inside to attend to your baby - plus the sound of the velcro woke our baby up on occasions, so we got around this by only doing the side velcro bits up on one side. NB your pushchair must have a hood to ensure that this cover is away from baby's face.
I would recommend this.

Applaws Cat Tin Mackerel with Sweetcorn, 70 g, Pack of 24
Applaws Cat Tin Mackerel with Sweetcorn, 70 g, Pack of 24

5.0 out of 5 stars This stinks!, 20 July 2014
Do I love it? No - it stinks to high heaven!
But we tried a single tin with our cat who is a notoriously fussy eater, and he loved it, sweetcorn and all! Great price from Amazon, knocking about 10p a can off the local pet shop's price.

Sistema Rectangular Microwave Steamer - Large
Sistema Rectangular Microwave Steamer - Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Too big to rotate, 20 July 2014
I checked the measurements against our smallish microwave (Panasonic NN-E281MMBPQ 20 Litre Compact Microwave, Silver) and thought it would fit, well it does except that silly me forgot that when it rotates it is slightly longer corner to corner, and the handy corner bits to enable you to lift the steamer from the microwave are annoyingly in line with a ridge inside my microwave. Therefore the steamer doesn't rotate for me.
It cooks fairly well (carrots seem to take forever unless you cut them into sticks - I had to keep putting them back in) but some things came out a little burned on the edges. This may well be due to the fact that the steamer couldn't rotate.
The plastic tray in the steamer is a semi-opaque white, now slightly orange coloured due to the carrots!

Rapesco X5 90 ps Less Effort Heavy Duty Stapler uses Staples 923/8-12 mm and 24/6 mm with 90 Sheet Capacity

5.0 out of 5 stars A heavy duty stapler that not only looks good on your desk but actually works without constantly jamming, 17 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not electric or battery as you might expect but a heavy duty stapler that not only looks good on your desk but actually works without constantly jamming. Just press down firmly on the long handle and it works a treat. I used it to staple 80 sheets of good quality glossy paper together with no trouble at all. A great addition is a slider that adjusts where the staples will be. No more haphazard stapling. It is not a cheap item at £42.50 (current Amazon price) but what you get is a quality item that will last. It is actually guaranteed for 5 years. It comes with a box of staples which are easily loaded so already to go. Over the years I have bought many cheap staplers but I realise now that was false economy. You get what you pay for and in this case the machine is worth every penny. Also at approx. 20 cm in length it will be hard to lose!

Hauck Lima Pushchair (Moonlight/ Capri)
Hauck Lima Pushchair (Moonlight/ Capri)
Offered by tablet_books

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely pushchair but not very substantial if you're looking for baby's ONLY pushchair., 12 July 2014
Got this at a bargain price of less than £45. Reclines fully (so perfect for our 6 month old baby to have a nap while on the go), and comes with a hood and a (basic) raincover. The leg support can be raised to provide support for little legs that aren't yet long enough to hang down and there's a bar (which currently helps retain toys which our baby seems to want to throw out of the pushchair!)

The shopping basket underneath is a bit small (and its very difficult to put in or remove items when the seat back is reclined) but the handles are a decent height (my husband was happy to push this and he is 6ft) (NB this also means that even folded, the pushchair is quite long and may not fit in your car boot). The handles go down quite far either side of the seat so if you do hang a bag from the handles they will sit quite low and not affect the centre of gravity as much as on some pushchairs.

This pushchair is easy to put up and fold down, there is a catch you have to engage manually when in the "umbrella" position though - its not automatic. You can even leave the bump bar and sunshade on the pushchair when folding it as they are both very flexible.

The wheels are basic and you won't get a smooth ride on the slightest bumpy terrain, but you can have the front wheels in either fixed or "swivel" position.
The brake isn't the strongest - in fact when I have started to wheel it (not realising the brake was on), it has just popped out of position, so you certainly couldn't park this on a steep slope with your precious cargo on board!

For the price we paid I think it's a great 2nd pushchair (to keep in my hubby's car, and to take away on holidays - or equally for grandparents to use) but I wouldn't recommend this as baby's only pushchair from birth. I have deducted one star for the small shopping basket and the slightly weak brake.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30