Profile for Aine > Reviews

Content by Aine

Aine (Leicester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Confidence Code: The Science and Art of Self-Assurance---What Women Should Know

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-changing...., 24 Sep 2014
I do not indulge in hyperbole, and I hesitate to write this - but I have already found this book to be life-changing.

I was doing very well in my chosen career, but a number of events set back my confidence at a crucial stage. On the surface, I have still achieved a lot, but I have carried the failure of that time with me, and a sense of inadequacy, and frustration and disappointment remained.

Since I started reading this book, I have been able to re-evaluate the last 2 decades of my life and career. I have actually had the courage to put myself forward for things that I always hesitated about before.

Part of the success of this book is knowing one is not alone - that many women strive for perfection, that we crave approbation (often unconsciously), and that we often hold ourselves back for fear of failure. The science (in psychological and neuroscientific research) is enlightening and helpful.

I regularly teach young women in my profession - I know I will be recommending this to them in the months and years to come.

Every parent of daughters, every teacher of girls, and women of all ages should read this too - highly recommended.

The Musketeers [DVD] [2014]
The Musketeers [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Luke Pasqualino

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, swashbuckling escapism, 9 April 2014
This review is from: The Musketeers [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
The critics in Britain were a bit sniffy about this series, unfairly I think. It isn't Sherlock, or Game of Thrones or Broadchurch, but it isn't trying to be.

It is solid mainstream drama, but with a lightness of touch. While clearly inspired by the book, purists won't like it: but the characters have much more back-story. Peter Capaldi's Richelieu is less a pantomime villain, and actually more frightening as a result. The actors generally are very high calibre - for instance Howard Charles is an RSC veteran, Tom Burke is an award-winning stage actor. The women who appear are more than mere window-dressing, thankfully: if you object to that and to the casting of a mixed-race actor, you're living in the wrong century and the wrong country. It's supposed to be entertainment for a multicultural audience - especially as Dumas himself had a part-African heritage.

The locations are at times breathtaking, and the lighting and direction invoke such atmosphere.

The DVD extras are limited, but of interest: behind-the-scenes of the "Boot camp", watching the actors being trained in swordsmanship etc; costume; set design; and practising a key scene in the final episode.

I do hope future releases will have a bit more - directors' and actors' commentaries would be fascinating; and surely there must be some cracking out-takes...?

SuperTooth Buddy 2.1 Handsfree Bluetooth Visor Speakerphone Car Kit with Universal In-Car Smartphone Suction Holder for iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S/5/5S/5C and Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 18 May 2013
Bought this having read the reviews on here.

Very happy with it - as others have said, very fast set-up, very easy to link from smartphone. Very good sound quality.

For anyone in the UK, this is a lot cheaper than a fine for driving with a mobile phone in your hand!

Highly recommended.

Remanufactured Dell 1320C 2000 Page Yield Black Ink Toner Cartridge
Remanufactured Dell 1320C 2000 Page Yield Black Ink Toner Cartridge
Offered by Refresh Cartridges

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy so far, 17 Sep 2012
I am grateful to other reviewers here - I bought this having read their recommendations.

Slotted in with no problem, PC didn't complain that "not Dell product". On first use, indistinguishable from Dell's own product which is obscenely expensive in comparison. Even if only prints 500 pages-worth, will beat the Dell on price, but if goes up to 2000, even better.

Case-Mate Tough Case for Samsung Galaxy S2 - Black
Case-Mate Tough Case for Samsung Galaxy S2 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved by it a few times...., 25 Mar 2012
I have had this for several months now, and am delighted with it. I have dropped my phone several times, usually onto hard surfaces (wooden floors, stone flags), and so far, not a bother.

It fits the phone very snugly, and barely increases the size. I couldn't manage to get the screen cover onto the phone without there being a few blebs, but when the screen is on, you don't see them anyway.

Don't know what I would have done without it - highly recommended.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars so effective, 23 Mar 2012
This stuff is amazing - really effective. Spray it on, leave it a few minutes, brush it out and your hair feels good, as well as looking it. Perfect for when you are having a bad hair day, but haven't time to wash it etc... As well as that, there is no chemical smell.

I have been using it for a few years now - not sure how I managed without it.

Highly recommended.

Phone Hacking: How the Guardian broke the story (Guardian Shorts)
Phone Hacking: How the Guardian broke the story (Guardian Shorts)

5.0 out of 5 stars How it all kicked off...., 1 Mar 2012
This was published over 6 months ago, so it is pretty out of date now - but it demonstrates the riveting evolution of this scandal, and how the UK government had to set up a full public enquiry in response. Recommended.

Levodyn Natural Blood Pressure Stabilizer 60 ct
Levodyn Natural Blood Pressure Stabilizer 60 ct

1.0 out of 5 stars Where is the randomised, double-blind trial?, 29 Dec 2011
As a doctor with a special interest in hypertension, I was rather surprised to discover this product on Amazon.

There is a very interesting judgement from the UK Advertising Standards about this product. All claims for medical benefits have to be approved by the MHRA in the UK - this is not listed.

A month's supply of a properly regulated and trialled medication costs 1/3 of this on the NHS (and is of course free for pensioners, diabetics, etc)...
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2012 10:57 AM GMT

Behind the Green Curtain
Behind the Green Curtain
by T.Ryle Dwyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, well-researched but highly readable, 21 Jun 2011
Although from the Republic, my father was in the fire service in Northern Ireland during World War 2; my mother, 2 uncles and an aunt all worked in England; and according to this book, 160,000 Irishmen fought for the Allies - yet, the perception of many during, and especially after the War was that Eire had had an easy time as a Neutral, and that it was full of Nazi sympathisers. Indeed, there was a press report in the USA at one point saying that there were lots of Japanese nationals on spying missions in Ireland - ignoring that they might just stand out a bit....

I am not a fan of Eamon de Valera, but his actions before, during and after WWII suggest, in this at least, that generally he represented the Irish people's stance - his duty in a democracy. (One cannot help but think of Tony Blair's contrasting approach.) It is arguable too that his resisting demands from Churchill and Roosevelt were, from a military standpoint, critical to Ireland, and therefore also Britain, not being overrun by Germany. Indeed, much as I admire Churchill with regard to WWII, he seems to have been blinded to the risks of Eire's openly joining the Allies by his own prejudice against the country.

The most interesting detail lies in the extraordinary degree of help Ireland gave to the Allies in terms of passing on intelligence, weather reports, etc; and letting the vast majority of downed Allied planes and their crews return to their bases, while interning every single German participant.

Anyone who is interested in the history of Ireland, the UK, the USA or WWII is likely to find much of interest and some revelations here.

Maxtor 320GB BlackArmor Encrypted 2.5" HDD USB 2.0
Maxtor 320GB BlackArmor Encrypted 2.5" HDD USB 2.0

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 31 Jan 2010
I've had this several months now. It was really easy to set up - just plug it in and the software gets installed, choose a password you won't forget, and off you go. It's small but robustly made, and fast. Very happy with it.

Page: 1 | 2