Profile for Mr. G. B. Johnston > Reviews

Content by Mr. G. B. Johnston

Mr. G. B. Johnston (Chester UK)

Yabbyou Solid Oak Mirror Bevelled Glass 102cm by 72cm In Stock
Yabbyou Solid Oak Mirror Bevelled Glass 102cm by 72cm In Stock
Offered by Yabbyou
Price: 139.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quality Job, 26 April 2014
A well made solid frame supports a heavy bevelled mirror. I received a call shortly after placing the order to agree a convenient day for delivery and to offer any help or advice I might need when mounting it. The mirror arrived on time, well padded and carefully packed in a strong container. Both the mirror and the service were excellent. Very pleased. Baz

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 User's Manual
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 User's Manual
by Mr Graham Houghton
Price: 12.64

5.0 out of 5 stars The Missing Manual and More, 26 April 2014
I first came across this excellent manual for the Lumix FZ200 when it first appeared in instalments on Graham Houghton's YouTube site. Here he clearly explained how to get the best out of the camera and how to use the many built in options. This was a revelation after trying to follow the complicated and poorly detailed manual which Panasonic had provided for download.

The only snag was the need to fire up the computer in order to browse it. So when it appeared on Amazon I jumped at it and I'm glad I did.

The book is well written and profusely illustrated. It assumes no prior knowledge, but provides detailed explanations of how the camera works. It explains clearly how and when to use the many options the camera offers, many of which I failed to find in the maker's manual. It goes further than that, with advice on using the camera for close-up and macro photography, and use of external flash, low light photography, and more.

All in all a revelation which has enabled me to get a whole lot more out of what turns out to be a cracking little camera. Baz

Professional Airbrush Cleaning Station with Holder Support for Airbrush
Professional Airbrush Cleaning Station with Holder Support for Airbrush
Offered by Airbrush Supply Online
Price: 13.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy gadget, 7 Feb 2014
I like this.The glass jar is heavy and this and the support leg make the whole thing nicely stable. I had to remove the brush support and adjust it in the vice to make it right for my airbrush, but once done it's much more convenient than my previous holder. I've been using this with acrylics and have had fewer problems with the paint setting in the tip while the brush is parked. The tip of the brush is supported by a rubber cushion and the water in the pot keeps it damp.
All in all a good buy.

Proxxon Micromot MF 70Milling Machine
Proxxon Micromot MF 70Milling Machine
Offered by City Markt GmbH
Price: 227.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A grand little machine., 7 Feb 2014
I bought this mill for model railway and similar small scale work. My existing milling machine was limited to 2000rpm and it wasn't fast enough for drilling and milling with tiny carbide bits. I spent a couple of hours setting it up and adjusting the gibs and the play in the handwheels. At first the stiffness of the ways varied a lot over the travel, but after repeatedly winding the table end to end and forward and back all was well. I reckon the lead screws had not been evenly lubricated. A dial test indicator helped to show any slop when adjusting the gibs and handwheels. It's a pity that the instruction sheet does not explain how best to adjust these clearances. Only the end two of the three adjustment screws on each slide need setting, Use the centre screw to lock the table when necessary. Some reviewers of this machine have pointed out that the table can distort when work pieces or accessories are clamped to it. While this is indeed so, it is worth bearing in mind that this mill is designed for delicate work,and the forces the machine applies to the work are tiny. When fixing a vice or clamping work to the table, only very gentle tightening is needed to secure the job and prevent movement.
All in all it's a cracking little machine for the sort of work I use it for.
Baz

Silent multimedia PC! CSL Sprint H5787u (Quad) incl. Windows 7 - computer-system with AMD A8-6600K CPU 4x 3900 MHz, 1000GB SATA, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUS Mainboard, Radeon HD 8570D 2 GB - the ultimate media system for pure entertainment
Offered by CSL Computer
Price: 439.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fast., 18 Nov 2013
My increasingly erratic six year old Hewlett Packard was repeatedly crashing when trying to import digital photographs. It was clearly time to bring things up to date. I wanted a windows 7 operating system rather the current windows 8 which seemed aimed at the modern touch screens and tablet. Searched the retail outlets' web sites with no success, there is very little choice if you want a desktop, and none that I could find with Windows 7.

Amazon had a fair selection however and after looking through the specs. I homed in on a few which looked likely. Finally settled on the CSL print H5787u. I'm no computer nerd, so I don't know whether it was the optimum choice, I just wanted something fast and with plenty of memory. So as long as the machine will cope with handling a lifetimes photographs and let me import and work up batches of about fifty raw photos at a time I'm happy. This one does! It goes like a rocket!

There was a problem with the picture as it did not fill the monitor screen no matter what I did. So I e-mailed CSL and they gave me a link to a solution. I Downloaded the AMD Catalyst control centre and two minutes later it was fixed. I haven't deducted any stars for this however, as if I was half computer literate I could probably have sorted it myself.

Baz

100M Wireless Remote Control Shutter Release for Panasonic DMC G3, FZ50, FZ100, FZ200, LC-1, L1, Leica Digilux 2, 3
Offered by UK Highland Photography
Price: 21.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with my Lumix G3, 10 Jun 2013
I was a bit doubtful about this inexpensive remote until it was suggested on a Panasonic Lumix discussion group.

Well pleased with my purchase. Beautifully presented in a high quality package, the components are crisply moulded and nicely finished.

Most importantly, it works a treat. You can take a single shot; continuous at one second intervals; continuous at camera setting; or 'bulb' long exposures.

The instruction diagrams are clear and self explanatory with only one detail missing. The right angled connecting cable jack plug goes into the camera, and it needs to be pushed firmly home to connect properly.

Proxxon Micromot FET Table Saw
Proxxon Micromot FET Table Saw
Offered by City Markt GmbH
Price: 255.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I'M MADE UP WITH IT., 13 April 2013
I looked long and hard at the small table saws on offer before choosing this one. It cost a bit more than I had planned to spend but I reckon it was worth the extra.
The unimat 3 lathe table saw attachment I used for many years had served me well, but it was frustrating to set it up for a couple of cuts, and then to have to dismantle it before using the lathe again. The lathe headstock also got in the way when cutting sheet of more than about 6mm thickness , and the blade could not be angled.
The Proxxon FET is a well made and accurate saw which exceeds my expectations. Adjustments are easy and precise and the cut is clean and free from splinters.
A couple of minor snags made it four rather than five star for me. The fine adjustment was very stiff and had to be dismantled, cleaned and oiled before I could get it to work, but it's OK now. I could not cut a shallow slit in a sheet as the blade guard moved down with the blade and prevented the sheet from getting to the blade. Fixed this by loosening the retaining screws and lifting the guard support up a few millimeters from fully home.. One small design fault is in the extract connection. Although it is 35 mm diameter to fit a standard vacuum hose, the actual aperture inside is only about 8 by 22 mm, which needlessly limits the extract. Shouldn't be too difficult to mod. however.
Despite these little snags I'm made up with the saw - I should have bought one years ago. Baz
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2013 1:51 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking job., 13 April 2013
Bought it for my wife to use with her laptop. The the one she had been using needed a newspaper or similar under it to get it to work reliably. The problem was the new dining table which has a shiny surface. No problems with this one, it works a treat every time and It comes with a nice little drawstring bag to keep it in. Baz

Pentax 6.5x21 Close Focus Papilio Binoculars
Pentax 6.5x21 Close Focus Papilio Binoculars
Price: 109.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A dream for spectacle wearers., 20 May 2012
I finally ditched my old binoculars after the rubber coating perished, and looked round for something better. Previous binos were a pain. By the time I'd removed my specs,lifted the nocs,lined them up and focussed; the birds or whatever had often buzzed off. Then there was the need to keep the eyepieces pressed to my eyebrows and carefully aligned to both eyes if I was to see anything at all. All that is in the past now since I stumbled on the Pentax Papilios. Leave your specs on, easy to line up, clear bright image, light in weight and for this quality gear, light on the wallet.

And the icing on the cake? You can focus down to about eighteen inches and see detail which would otherwise need an up close squint through a magnifying glass.

In a word: brilliant.

OP/TECH SLR Wrist Strap - Black
OP/TECH SLR Wrist Strap - Black
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras
Price: 8.29

5.0 out of 5 stars COMFORTABLE AND SECURE, 28 Jan 2010
Purchased this to use with my panasonic G1, small SLR.Panasonic Lumix G1 Digital System Camera Kit - Black (12.1MP) Previously used a neck strap, but found that I spent most of my time with the strap wrapped round my wrist to secure the camera in my hand. Looked at and tried various wrist straps, but found them either insecure, or they made it difficult to use the camera controls. The Op/Tech strap is well made, comfortable on the wrist, and allows easy access to the camera controls. It is compact and sits easily in the camera case so you can slip it on your wrist and adjust it before lifting the camera out. A simple,well thought out way to keep your camera secure. BAZ