Profile for Cookie > Reviews

Cookie

Page: 1 | 2
The Misremembered Man
The Misremembered Man

3.0 out of 5 stars The story of Jamie and Lydia is nicely written, the dialogue rich and authentic, 16 Dec. 2014
The story of Jamie and Lydia is nicely written, the dialogue rich and authentic, the story at times heart wrenching, with an unexpected twist. However, there are two things which made it hard to read - firstly an unnecessarily large amount of similes (everything but everything was given an "as..." or "like..." )which became far too much. It appeared as if the author was trying to draw attention to her own cleverness and distracted from the story and the characters. Secondly, almost all the main characters were described in an almost unsympathetic, unattractive manner, which almost seemed to ASK you to be repulsed by them. Why, I'm not sure, because what I know of Irish people, they truly are not an ugly race!

Frozen Past (A Jaxon Jennings' Detective Mystery Thriller Series, Book 1)
Frozen Past (A Jaxon Jennings' Detective Mystery Thriller Series, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars a little tedious, a little predictable (yes, 19 Nov. 2014
The book starts off so well, and halfway through I would have given it 5 stars as it was really gripping - but then the plot became a little too farfetched, a little tedious, a little predictable (yes, there's a complicated love interest, the detective gets taken off the case but continues anyway, the deaths keep on coming...it all seems to try too hard and follow too many already-used story lines) and it left me feeling deflated. Shame. Hopefully the next two in the series will be a little tighter as there is so much promise here.

Blood Money
Blood Money

1.0 out of 5 stars Needs proofreading, 23 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Blood Money (Kindle Edition)
If you can get past the numerous mistakes in grammar, punctuation and vocabulary, the story is quite entertaining though highly improbable. I am thankful that this was a free book at the time I obtained it, as I cannot recommend buying it at any price.

Falling: The Story of a Marriage (Kindle Single)
Falling: The Story of a Marriage (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful pain, 13 Nov. 2013
It seems strange to "love" a book about love and pain, but this account of a failing marriage and an event that might save it, is so beautifully written that it draws you along with it and you feel every emotion, see every scene in colour, and resolve to grab the most out of life when you are done.
Recommended for anyone who wants to be moved...

Gold from Gemini (Lovejoy 2)
Gold from Gemini (Lovejoy 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun book, spoilt by poor proof-reading, 24 May 2013
This is a fun, and even insightful book if you are interested in the world of antiques or detectives (even one as chauvinistic as Lovejoy), but for me much of the enjoyment was lost by the myriad mistakes in spelling and punctuation. I had to repeatedly re-read some sentences to understand them. Please, whoever put this on Kindle - get a good proof-reader!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2013 1:07 PM BST

Unfamiliar Fishes
Unfamiliar Fishes

3.0 out of 5 stars A real struggle, 8 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Unfamiliar Fishes (Kindle Edition)
As a book club we decided to read "Unfamiliar Fishes", and I was excited to do so. I like learning about the history of places unfamiliar to me, and in that respect the book did not disappoint. What did disappoint, AND unsettle me, was the constant insertion of the author's personal prejudices. I do not mind personal opinion of bias, but this was heavy, negative and constant. The use of sarcasm, also, can be fun and add to a description, but again, it is overused. I struggled to even get half-way through the book and was glad when discussion of it was moved to a later date so I could intersperse my reading with more enjoyable works. One other thing...when using direct quotes from persons long dead, I don't think it is fair to add a personal bias, as you cannot possibly know the tone of voice when the quote was written or said. So usage of "moaned", "complained" etc is unacceptable, in my opinion, having read the said quotes. A shame that what could have been enjoyable and very informative was marred by negativity.

Thursdays in the Park
Thursdays in the Park

3.0 out of 5 stars It started so well..., 11 Oct. 2012
What I like about this book: an older heroine (although of course she and her love interest are both very attractive...) and what started as a plausible story - a difficult marriage, a possible way out.
Where it went wrong: I started to dislike the heroine's character as she vacillated too much; the problem her husband had was not well-developed and so became implausible; the other particular character flaw her husband had was not dealt with properly either...altogether unsatisfying especially as the end then was, frankly, predictable and too neat and sweet. Sad, as the story-telling had me spell-bound till about 2/3rds through.

Fatal Tango
Fatal Tango

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a comfort read!, 27 July 2012
This review is from: Fatal Tango (Kindle Edition)
I bought "Fatal Tango" as it was cheap - and am so glad I did. It is an intense tale - at times a little too wordy, but rich in history and information, which is something I thoroughly enjoy. It took a while for me to realise what might have been the secret that disrupted the lives of these two people, but got there just before the denouement. That did not detract from the sadness of discovery. Emotions are definitely engaged by the author who is a great story-teller.
The book made me want to learn more of the tangled history of Latin America, the CIA's involvement in that dark period, and how Europe was also implicated in the web of intrigue.
My one complaint? It's a small one, but no German, speaking to another German, would EVER talk about miles! It's kilometres all the way... Little inaccuracies like that, though it seems petty, can affect my enjoyment of the book and make me wonder about other mistakes and inaccuracies...

Love Me If You Must (Patricia Amble Mystery Series #1)
Love Me If You Must (Patricia Amble Mystery Series #1)

1.0 out of 5 stars So glad I got this free, 19 July 2012
This book has reminded me again why I, a committed Christian, do not read "Christian Fiction" - most writers of this genre try too hard to write an exciting book and then fit in a little God-talk to make it more acceptable.
For me, the plot was thin, and tried too hard to be too many things - a romance (stereotyped and not well-developed), a mystery (again, the "clues" were all over the place, unlikely and poorly developed) and a person's transformation story. Well, she did not change much, Tish remained the same difficult, unlikeable person, with a story that could have been very moving but was too drawn out in some places and too cut short in others.
Yes I read the whole book as I was interested to see where the author would finally go, there were so many places she could have ended up. At least the ending was a surprise!
My suggestion? Pick ONE theme and develop it, flesh out the characters more, and stop trying to make it a Christian book if there is hardly any talk about God but more about church. It does more harm than good.
Oh - and keep the prices low, as no one should pay much for this.

The Messiah Matrix
The Messiah Matrix

3.0 out of 5 stars Remember it's fiction, 24 May 2012
The Messiah Matrix; apart from the fact that it has already been done in books like The DaVinci Code, the concept is interesting. The book reads easily, but even for an amateur scientist like myself the scientific parts which were supposed to "prove" the truth of the origins of Christianity, were just too poorly handled to be plausible!
No questions are really answered, you are drawn into yet more conspiracy theories about the Catholic Church and the Jesuits - but with no satisfactory answers. If you are looking for a work of believable scientific evidence - this is not it. if you are looking for an enjoyable, easy work of fiction, with enough repetition in the twists and turns to eventually make you wish for it to stop - this is a good read.

Page: 1 | 2