Profile for jayjay > Reviews

The Linnet Bird
The Linnet Bird
by Linda Holeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly re-readable!, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Linnet Bird (Paperback)
I first read this book a couple of years ago. It was bought for me as a present, and I wasn't sure it was my kind of thing. I tend to read a lot of modern crime fiction such as Patricia Cornwell, Lee Child etc, however this book had me mesmerised from the beginning.

Set in the 1800's this is the fictional life story of Linny Gow. Born into poverty in Liverpool, Linny is brutally forced to become a child prostitute. The story follows her through events which result in her making the gruelling journey by sea to India where she tries to rebuild her life.

I found myself drawn in by Linny, every other character (whether likable or grotesque) and the beautifully written (if sometimes slightly grim) descriptions of the locations.

This book, once I'd finished it in a matter of days, was passed around friends and family. This month I bought another copy to give as a present as I have recently started to re-read my original copy again. Despite obviously knowing what happens in the story I am finding re-reading this book as spellbinding as before, and in fact probably appreciating the descriptive text even more!

I would highly recommend this book, but will state it does contain some disturbing themes.

This is a book which is very difficult to put down. I will re-read it again, I'm sure.

Elegant Charms 7.5" sterling silver peridot tennis bracelet
Elegant Charms 7.5" sterling silver peridot tennis bracelet

3.0 out of 5 stars happy with the exchange!, 13 Sep 2011
My husband bought this bracelet for me for our anniversary. Initially I was very happy with it; the design was delicate and very pretty. Unfortunately, it snapped within a week. It did not sustain any damage - just literally fell off my wrist.

I contacted Elegant Charms, who were very helpful. I requested an exchange, which was agreed to. I chose a crystal tennis bracelet instead, which was dispatched very quickly. To make up the price difference I also ordered a ring, which I wasn't so keen on when it arrived, so subsequently exchanged that for a second crystal bracelet(I wear the two together - which looks a little more unusual). I would definitely recommend the crystal bracelet, which is still delicate, but the links seem less likely to snap.Elegant Charms 7.5" sterling silver crystal tennis bracelet

1m METRE 3.5MM PLUG TO PLUG AUX INPUT CABLE FOR IPOD MP3 CAR PLAYER (length: 1m, 100cm, 1000mm)
Offered by Accessories-4-All

5.0 out of 5 stars job done!, 28 May 2011
Bought this item to connect an old ipod shuffle to a new set of speakers set up in our kid's room. Really impressed with the sound quality, especially considering how cheap the cable was. Very speedy delivery, so two very happy boys as they can now enjoy listening to the audio books we have downloaded for them. Would certainly recommend this product.