Profile for K. Spivey > Reviews

Duracell ProCell AAA Batteries - 10 Pack
Duracell ProCell AAA Batteries - 10 Pack
Offered by BargainShop_London

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price compared to shops, 23 Feb 2012
Couldn't believe the cheap price on these batteries compared to the shops. Ordered AAA and AA for the multitude of remote controls that I've accumulated. Quick and free shipping! Arrived in factory sealed packages, so they appear to be brand new and are exactly as described. First batteries that I've used out of the box, seem to be working just fine. Even if they don't have the long life of some other brands... the cheap price makes up for it, especially if you are just using them for TV remotes and such. Foolish not to stock up now, before the prices go up.

AA Dry Powder Fire Extinguisher
AA Dry Powder Fire Extinguisher
Offered by AMSLTD

5.0 out of 5 stars The right size for a small flat, 11 Feb 2012
This review is from: AA Dry Powder Fire Extinguisher
I was looking for a fire extinguisher that would be primarily for the kitchen in the event of a cooking fire, but could also be used on an electrical fire or general materials fire. I selected this dry powder extinguisher. It's small and light, and the design allows you to use it with just one hand, in a sweeping motion. I keep this one discretely behind the kitchen door which is the most central area of my flat. I felt it was a good price here on Amazon, quick shipping and securely packaged.

I've experienced a kitchen fire in the past, and when the grease fire is a meter high... that's the wrong time to realize you don't have an extinguisher in the house! Most fire brigade materials will tell you not to use an extinguisher on a grease fire because the force of the spray may cause the fire to spread... which is why I've paired this with 2 fire blankets (also purchased here on Amazon for really good price)... this way I can smother the source of the flame and use the extinguisher to put out the remaining blazes. It's also the right size to clear an exit path in the event that you wake up to a bad fire. It's not ideal for significant fires, and if you live in a big house or flat, you might invest in several of these and spread them around.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Sony EMC Soft Case for NEX - Black
Sony EMC Soft Case for NEX - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars NEX-3: easily pack, protect and shift essentials from carry-on to city touring, 11 Feb 2012
Just received the case today and am well pleased, particularly for the price. I debated for a while over several different cases. This one seemed to offer what I needed: protection and the most compact design. Most reviews are for Sony Nex-5 users. I am using the slightly larger Nex-3 model.

Internal:
This case is bespoke for the Nex camera and the well-padded interior fits perfectly my Sony Nex-3 camera with the 18-55 lens, hood and flash attached, and there's a velcro-attached, padded separator for safely storing the pancake lens. In the flap, there's a cleverly designed zip pouch with more than enough room for the flash (if you want to keep it separate) and one or even two batteries. There's also a very discrete pocket custom-designed for an extra memory card. I will upload a photo of the diagram that's included with the case, which shows where everything is stored. As noted elsewhere, there's no room for cables or chargers.

External:
The flap closes over the camera and secures with velcro. That's one negative... as I know from experience that velcro wears out and will eventually have to be replaced... I would have preferred snaps. Also, a second negative as noted by other reviewers: there's a potential for a gap at the two corners (see photo) so this case won't be waterproof or dirt proof. The color is greyish-black and Sony avoided the obnoxious logos so it's a very attractive and professional looking case which doesn't overtly advertise that you're carrying an expensive camera in there. On the front panel they've built in a very discrete beltloop, or you can attach the optional strap for carrying over your shoulder. On the back panel, is another discrete pocket designed for you to tuck away the lens cap when you have the camera in use.

What this case IS: well padded to protect my camera when packed in carry-on luggage, designed to take up the least amount of space, and attractive design (there are other cases that just look like backpacks and I didn't want that). I charge the primary and backup batteries overnight so all I want to carry during the day is the camera and lens. (I have a separate case that is designated for all chargers, cables and adapters) This case allows me to easily shift the essentials from carry-on to backpack for roaming the city after I land.

What this case IS NOT: A replacement for your camera bag. It will not hold your camera and a bunch of cables and different lenses and things. It is not weatherproof or dust-proof. It will not save your camera from damage when dropped from any reasonable height.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2012 9:50 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars exactly what i was looking for, 19 Jan 2012
Needed one of these for my office use. Coudn't find it in the shops. This was an excellent price and the item is of a good quality.

6x Supalite 40W Cooker Hood Lamps 240V SES Base -
6x Supalite 40W Cooker Hood Lamps 240V SES Base -
Offered by Strictly Lamps

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 17 Jan 2012
Needed replacement cooker bulbs and was having difficulty finding them as the local Tesco stopped selling them. Ordered these as a bulk item (6 bulbs and free shipping) for about the cost of buying 2 bulbs at Tesco. Very happy and am all stocked up now. Packaged really well and just changed out my burned out bulbs, these new ones are working just fine.

Rink Drink Boston Cocktail Shaker Gift Set + FREE Colour Book, Hawthorn Strainer, Muddler, Bar Spoon With Masher, 25ml and 50ml Thimble Measures - Great kit!
Offered by Rinkit Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kit for the price, 15 Nov 2011
Pretty standard bar kit (I used to work in a bar) so I'm very happy, especially for the £10 pricetag.

10 x MR16 20w Halogen Light Bulb with Cover
10 x MR16 20w Halogen Light Bulb with Cover
Offered by BargainShop_London

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 11 Nov 2011
I can't believe I paid £5.00 and got 10 bulbs. These things retail for about £3 each in shops. Shipping was slow and packaging was shockingly bad, can't believe that nothing was broken... but still am pleased with getting 10 bulbs at such a low price. I haven't checked them obviously, so I'm assuming that they work.

NEW DOUBLE BLACK FUSION OTTOMAN STORAGE BED MEGA OFFER NOW ON
NEW DOUBLE BLACK FUSION OTTOMAN STORAGE BED MEGA OFFER NOW ON
Offered by Simply Furnished Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Do I love it? No. Do I love it for the price? YES!, 1 Nov 2011
Ordered Sunday the 23rd, shipped Monday and received Tuesday - so you can't say they're not fast. The bed arrives in three separate boxes, one of which is a bit heavy and awkward to carry. Unfortunately, the courier only sent one person in the delivery truck and this is definitely a two-man job in order to ensure that the bed gets into your flat and that nothing is damaged. I thought that I was going to have to send it back because the delivery guy wanted to just leave the boxes by the gate to my building. Luckily, I was able to convince him that the two of us could bring it all upstairs. I found this inappropriate that I had to stop work for 30 minutes to help carry in the heavy boxes. If it's going to a pensioner or a pregnant lady, the result might be that the delivery has to be refused!! I subtracted one star for the poor choice of shipping company (Yodel), as I feel that the seller should specify to the courier company that they send 2 people when delivering this product.

Now, the rest of the review will be about assembly of the bed, the quality of the product, and my impressions after using it for a week. When I was shopping for a new bed, I looked at several options on Amazon - my criteria were double size, with storage, and less than 300 pounds. This meant that I would be buying a faux-leather bed. I decided this was a reasonable concession as the solid wood beds I saw in the London shops retailed at 800 pounds or more. I decided to go with the ottoman bed as it seemed to give the most storage space and it was only 150 pounds with shipping (really cheap). Do I love it? No. Do I love it for the price? YES! This is no heirloom piece and I would have preferred a nice solid wood quality bed... but this product gives me what I need for a fraction of the price and so it's good for a London rental flat.

1. Assembly
Different reviewers have stated different experiences with the assembly. It was exactly 2.75 hours for me to open all the boxes, lay out all the components, check that everything was present, read the instructions and assemble the bed - by myself. If you've put together a few Ikea cabinets then you are qualified to assemble this bed. And if you are patient and able-bodied, this can be a 1-person job. The boxes say to be careful about opening because returns are only accepted in the original packaging - but once you start unpacking, you soon realize it's like the genie - once she's out, there's no way to put her back in the bottle again.

A few notes...
- take your time reading the instructions... they're not always clear at first but you'll get there in the end if you just pay close attention and take your time. Identify the 3 different lengths of bolts (numbered 1, 2 and 3 in the instructions) and make sure you are always using the one that's called for in the instruction.
- When it comes time to attach the mattress platform to the lifting mechanism (toward the end of assembly): this is where it's nice to have some help in setting the platform in place. Also, the metal stabilizer bar goes at the headboard end, and underneath the platform (took me 15 minutes to sort that out). Those two fasteners (nuts) that you can't find... they're attached to the gas shocks of the lifting mechanism, so don't panic.

2. Quality
Well, it's faux leather so it's not going to look as good as real leather, but it also doesn't cost as much either. The chemical smell fades in about an hour and the dye doesn't seem to be rubbing off on my sheets.
The frame itself, once assembled, seems very solid and I don't fear that I'll fall through it. I bought this particular model because the photos and description tell you that there's a 5th and 6th leg in the middle to support the mattress platform - there's not. I was disappointed to find that out, but not enough to return the bed. The bed feels very solid overall.

3. Overall impressions
- I would rather have a solid wood bed, but this is still a nice looking piece of furniture and I can fund a really good holiday with the money I saved.
- Under bed Storage isn't as much as the photo leads you to believe. The compartment (cloth base for storage) under the mattress is about 20 cm deep, and it sits on 3 wooden braces that elevate the storage compartment about 10 cm off the floor. This is a bit of a waste, however, you can slide your trainers under the bed or store flat things under there, if you don't mind them getting dusty.
- mattress lifting mechanism is very easy to raise, but you need some muscle to get it back down again.
- Faux leather isn't as nice as real leather or solid wood, but it's also a fraction of the price. If you add a large blanket and some nice pillows, you barely see the frame anyway so it is a nice background for your linens.

I would recommend this to any friend who lives in a rental flat and wants to have an affordable, attractive, solid bed frame with storage that looks good in a man's room.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2012 7:49 AM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Money very well spent!, 1 Nov 2011
Ordered Sunday the 23rd, shipped Tuesday and received Wednesday - very pleased with the shipping time.
Packaging was very good: mattress is covered in thin plastic to protect it; then it's compressed, rolled for shipping, and placed into a thick heavy-duty plastic packaging, then placed inside a heavy-duty cardboard box. The courier brought it to the lift for me and I carried it into my flat and upstairs. I'm a healthy guy so it wasn't a chore to manage it, but some buyers may need to ensure that the courier can bring the box up stairs or wherever necessary.

The mattress comes to you compressed and rolled - Do NOT open this until it's in the room where you plan to use it. The seller sent a separate email to me advising of the shipment date, and asking me to check the packaging for correct product number and no visible damage BEFORE unpacking because you can't pack this back up again once you cut the tape. Do this.

When you unroll the mattress, it starts to spring back to life immediately. The manufacturer suggests to let it sit for 24 hours before you sleep on it. I unpacked it at 2 p.m. when it arrived and then slept on it at 11 p.m. that night and it was fine. However, I did notice it got a bit more full by the following night. I was concerned about the thickness (would it be too thick for sheets - answer is no, they fit just fine) and about the firmness (3 cm of memory foam might be too little, making the mattress too firm - answer is no, it's medium-firm as advertised).

I read several other reviews that mentioned a chemical smell; I did notice a chemical smell, sort of like a new tyre, and it was a bit strong at first but open a window and let it air for a day and the smell is gone. Keep this in mind if you are an asthma sufferer as you will need to open the mattress in a room where you can close the door and open the windows for a day.

I've ordered this mattress as a replacement for a thinner Ikea foam mattress, after sleeping on a memory foam mattress at a friend's house. A-Maz-ing. I already can tell a difference in my sleeping. I'm an average size guy and my partner is a bit bigger guy, and we both sleep fine and no more rolling into each other. And I haven't noticed any difference in temperature when sleeping.

Honestly, I can't believe I was able to get such a quality mattress for such a low price - much less than Ikea mattresses of the same quality. Now, I have no idea how long this mattress will last for - it could fail in a year - but at this price, it's well worth the risk.

Omron Eco Temp Basic Thermometer
Omron Eco Temp Basic Thermometer

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, 30 Oct 2011
Looks well made, easy to read display. Worth the price paid, definitely. Would have been nice if it had included some probe covers, though.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7