Profile for K. Spivey > Reviews

Yousave Accesso SA-EA01-Z713 PU Leather Pouch Galaxy SIII Black
Yousave Accesso SA-EA01-Z713 PU Leather Pouch Galaxy SIII Black
Offered by Yousave Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection for my expensive phone, 4 Sep 2012
My last phone was the Samsung Galaxy. I had a leather sleeve-type case for it, which held up for years. I dropped the phone a couple of times but the leather sleeve protected it from damage (I'm talking low height drops, onto wooden floor, nothing drastic). The only complaint I had was that the interior lining had come loose and the phone was sometimes very difficult to remove from the sleeve.

I recently upgraded to the new Samsung Galaxy 3. I found this case on Amazon at an AMAZING price (a couple of quid) and ordered it. It fits the phone perfectly. Basic black so looks stylish enough. And this one has the pull tab which makes it incredibly easy to remove the phone when you want to use it. For a few quid, you really can't beat this as a standard case to protect your phone from scratches in your backpack or pocket, and decent protection for when you accidentally knock the phone off the table.

Update: about 8 months in, and it's looking a bit knackered across the top (fraying, some peeling). The case still works great, but it is looking like it's seen better days. To be fair, I keep it in my back pocket all the time so there's alot of wear. I'd still recommend it though.

Kilrock-K Descaler 250ml
Kilrock-K Descaler 250ml
Offered by Bargain Genie UK

5.0 out of 5 stars My espresso machine works much better now, 21 Jun 2012
I've had a Delonghi espresso machine for about 4 years now. Never descaled it (not a native Brit, didn't appreciate the impact of limescale). I've noticed a significant decline in performance... water streams from the frothing wand when I'm pulling a coffee, and water drips steadily from the brew head when I'm frothing milk. Coffee takes longer to come out of the brew head. What you would expect, basically.
Ordered this product after reading the reviews. The bottle is marked to show how much liquid to use for descaling one kettle, and is advertised for 3 descalings per bottle. I used 1/3 of the bottle as instructed, and followed the manufacturer's instructions for descaling my espresso machine, then gave it a good clean. The difference in performance is instantly noticeable - minimal drips and perfect espresso. And I still have enough product left for 2 more descalings, which I understand need to be done every 6 months. Highly recommended this product for coffee addicts. Just one word of caution (and I know this is obvious, but still)... When you're descaling, be careful not to inhale the steam from the machine. I did it twice by accident and it is NOT pleasant. This is concentrated formic acid (the same stuff that gives fireants their powerful bite).

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, 21 Jun 2012
I cook and bake alot. For years, I've been using kitchen towels to move hot dishes and hold the saucepan lids, and I've burned my fingers a couple of times. Decided it was time to get some kitchen mitts. My partner also likes to cook and he inevitably gets more food on the kitchen towels than on the plate, so I decided that easy-to-clean silicone was the way to go. These gadgets are perfect, they are easier to put on quickly (compared to the full mitt) and they are thick silicone. I tested them out yesterday, took a pan out of a 200 degree oven and held it for about 10 seconds before I felt the heat come through, which is fine for me. I priced these at John Lewis over the weekend and they were twice the price as here. Just be sure that you look for sellers offering free shipping... because Amazon charges you the shipping price for each item, even if you order 2 at a time from the same seller. And these are sold just one mitt, so if you want a pair you have to order quantity of 2. I know that's probably obvious, but still, thought I'd mention it.

Acer Aspire Revo R3700 Desktop PC Atom Dual Core (D525) 1.8GHz 2GB 250GB WLAN Windows 7 Home Premium

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a media center, 25 May 2012
I'm giving this 5 stars because it does exactly what I want, but you need to really consider what you want it to do before you purchase. As a computer, it's really slow due to the processor size. However, it's brilliant as a media center component.

I have a HDTV and Onkyo surround sound system. I like to watch movies and tv shows that I either download or stream from the internet. This required me to link up my laptop via HDMI cable and fiddle with the settings. I wanted to buy something that would be dedicated to managing electronic media, thus 'cutting the cable' to my laptop and freeing up the disk space for more serious files such as spreadsheets and photo editing. I was originally planning to buy a mac mini, but just couldn't get past the price. I stumbled onto Acer's line of tiny computers and read the reviews of all the various models. (I think this one is now discontinued though, and the current version looks like a DVD player).

All the previous reviews were correct. If you are using this to manage video, then the Nvidea video processor handles it perfectly. I watch all my downloaded HD programs on my HDTV with no loss of picture quality. The unit is tiny and sets up in seconds. The tiny size, sleek design, and included wireless keyboard and mouse make it very clutter-free and unobtrusive. I do wish that I had opted for a larger hard drive now... I've already half-filled the 240 GB HDD (go for the 500 GB if you can). And it wirelessly connects to the internet so that I can surf, stream and download media directly to it.

So, to summarize, if you can get your hands on this discontinued model, do it. Don't expect it to replace your higher-powered laptops for serious computing. But connect it to your multimedia center and let it manage your music, movies, tv shows and more.

Kingston USB STICK 16GB 2.0, DTMC/16GB
Kingston USB STICK 16GB 2.0, DTMC/16GB

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, great product, but only 14.6 GB storage, 25 May 2012
Ordered from Amazon because price was really good, and item arrived within 2 days. This is the first time I've bought a flash drive in years, I was amazed at how small it is. I would highly recommend it.

Updated review 05 July: This note is for those other buyers out there who are not experts in the realm of electronic storage media (all experts please stop reading here thanks). The item description is 16 GB, but the actual usable space is only 14.6 GB. While I now know that this is normal... it' still important to keep in mind. I bought this for the specific purpose of creating a bootable backup disk for a desktop computer that doesn't have an optical drive. The space required to create the boot disk was almost 14 GB, which is why I purchased the 16 GB flash drive. Just keep this in mind when you are evaluating what size drive to purchase... it will only take 14.6 GB of data.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2012 2:52 PM BST

Silverhill Triangle Head Screwdriver for Roomba and Happy Meal Toys
Silverhill Triangle Head Screwdriver for Roomba and Happy Meal Toys
Offered by SortedBits

5.0 out of 5 stars Repairs Delonghi Icona toaster, 21 May 2012
I have a Delonghi Icona 4-slice toaster and true to Delonghi reputation, it broke after the warranty expired. I think it's a quick fix (a fuse or something) but need to get into the machine to look. The manufacturer has used these triangular screws to assemble the toaster, which forces consumers to use their overpriced repair shops. After some searching on Amazon, I found a few people selling screwdrivers specific for these triangular shaped screws. I was concerned about getting the right size. I can tell you that this one works perfectly to open up a Delonghi appliance. I've attached some photos to provide measurements. Recommended for the DIY guy who wants to repair home appliances.

ENGO Blister Prevention Patches - Heel Pack, 2 Patches
ENGO Blister Prevention Patches - Heel Pack, 2 Patches
Offered by footworks-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars To repair / prevent wear at heel of shoes, 17 May 2012
Every shoe that I own, has a hole worn through inside the shoe at the inner heel. I did some investigating online and found that some people have a strange formation on the heel that causes unusual wear of that part of the shoe, while the rest of the shoe is perfectly fine. Some articles recommended purchasing this item to address the issue. I bought one pair to try out on my new pair of Diesel trainers. So far, seems to be working. The surface of the pad is very slick so there's no wear or damage to the shoe, or to my foot. The trick is that you have to use a shoehorn or your finger when putting on your shoes, in order to avoid accidentally removing the pad. I would have given this 5 stars except for the price... it's a bit high considering that you have to replace these pretty regularly. I'm guessing this pair will last a few months. And I need to buy a pair for all of my shoes. I'm going to try out a cheaper alternative and compare in a different pair of trainers... will report back. But if you have this same problem and you are a runner, then you may want to invest in this product despite the price as it seems to be really good.

ENGO Blister Prevention Patches - Heel Pack (E-2HSP)
ENGO Blister Prevention Patches - Heel Pack (E-2HSP)
Offered by Rugby Heaven

4.0 out of 5 stars To repair / prevent wear at heel of shoes, 17 May 2012
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2014 4:14 PM BST

Iomega 34477 Portable 2.5 inch Hard Drive Case - Black
Iomega 34477 Portable 2.5 inch Hard Drive Case - Black
Offered by Express Box Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what i was looking for. Perfect for Iomega drive., 6 Mar 2012
Bought this to keep my red Iomega zip drive safe and secure. It's exactly what I wanted and for a price that could not be beat. See my picture that I've submitted. The drive is just slightly shorter than the space provided but I do not expect this to be any issue. The mesh pocket is plenty big for any cables and they are safely separated from your drive so that it doesn't get all scratched up.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price compared to shops, 23 Feb 2012
Couldn't believe the cheap price on these batteries compared to the shops. Ordered AAA and AA for the multitude of remote controls that I've accumulated. Quick and free shipping! Arrived in factory sealed packages, so they appear to be brand new and are exactly as described. First batteries that I've used out of the box, seem to be working just fine. Even if they don't have the long life of some other brands... the cheap price makes up for it, especially if you are just using them for TV remotes and such. Foolish not to stock up now, before the prices go up.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7