Profile for Larewen Evenstar > Reviews

Tangled [DVD]
Tangled [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nathan Greno

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 27 July 2011
This review is from: Tangled [DVD] (DVD)
What can i say about this?

Well, after my disappointment at the Princess and the Frog, I wasn't sure that this film would impress me. But boy! I loved it so much!

The characters, much more realistic than your usual disney characters. A princess who can actually save herself! Along with a flawed, but hilarious male lead, a very clever horse and an adorable little chameleon. A scary bad guy (woman) who wont terrify your children! And the bandits are simply brilliant and funny.

A lovely story with some of the best music i've heard from Disney in a long time (it would have to be coming from Alan Menken!). The voice actors they chose were fantastic, Mandy Moore just has the sweetest talking voice, and a beatiful singing voice that your children would just love to sing along to (be warned!).

My only hang up would be the ending, which I wont go into detail (don't want to spoil it for anyone!) but it was probably the only bit that I wasn't happy about.

This was one of those films that I watched in the cinema in absolute wonder, I had tears in my eyes for a lot of this film because it was just so wonderful! I preordered it (something i almost never do with films) as soon as I possibly could, and when it arrived, I watched it 3 times in a row and loved every moment!

I would have liked to see Flynn get a song to himself, because as it is, he gets a tiny bit in the bandits song and then a duet with Rapunzel near the end, and I think he should have had his own song.

So all in all, a brilliant film from Disney! Well worth watching for kids and for adults...anyone really. Just sit back and enjoy!

American Dad! - Volume 6 [DVD]
American Dad! - Volume 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seth MacFarlane
Offered by Venture Online

5.0 out of 5 stars another brilliant series!, 27 July 2011
American Dad is still going strong, even at season 6!

Ok, there is the odd episode that isn't quite as good as some of the previous seasons, but all series have that.

Some episodes i really didn't like when I first saw them, but they have grown on me.

The best episodes are (in my opinion):
Shallow Vows - roger 'talks' stan into renewing his vows with francine, but just before the wedding stan reveals he only married francine for her looks. When the wedding day arrives, francine steps out the car looking hideous. The episode is about stan and francine learning more about each other and their relationship, but is really funny.

Rapture's Delight - This seasons christmas episode. When the rapture comes, stan and francine are left behind. Stan tries to get raptured, happy to leave francine behind. She leaves stan for Jesus (who can date this time). But when Francine is kidnapped by the anti-christ, Jesus calls on stan for help.

May the best Stan win - Android stan from the future appears and tells stan he must start training for a future war against the robots. But it quickly becomes apparent that Stan-from-the-future has only come back to steal francine.

those are my 3 favourites from the series, but all of the episodes have their own charm, they are brilliant.

So well worth watching for old fans of the show, and it might even persuade a few people who aren't! a great show all round, and one of my absolute favourites!

CQ 5 Piece Barmans Cocktail Set
CQ 5 Piece Barmans Cocktail Set
Offered by The Sports HQ

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, 27 July 2011
This is a brilliant wee set! It's very neat, but comes with all the basics for mixing your own cocktails. The quality seems to be pretty good, and it looks rather impressive. It doesn't come in a fancy box or anything, just a simple pack that holds the items in place.

I got it for a friend for her 21st birthday, knowing how much she loves cocktails, and she loved it!

I think this is a really good present for someone, but also a really good little set to have in the house for mixing drinks for parties (or even just yourself!).

I can't comment on it's long term quality, but it seems really good to me!

I Shall Wear Midnight: (Discworld Novel 38) (Discworld Novels)
I Shall Wear Midnight: (Discworld Novel 38) (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 26 July 2011
I have been a fan of Pratchett since the age of 8. When the Wee free men was released, I had to read it and adored it, even more than the majority of the 'adult' discworld books. And as each installment was released I was desperate to read them, and loved each and every one.

So when this came out, I had to read it too. And I was not disappointed! Sometimes when authors get to the 4th book in a series about the same characters, they can lose their appeal, but 'I shall wear midnight' keeps this series going strong!

The story itself is stunning, Tiffany, now growing up a bit more and becoming a 'lady' (thought still a witch obviously), she is more mature, and keeps that very Tiffany like attitude towards everything. The other characters, the Nac Mac Feegles, are hilarious as always (and if you don't understand what they say, there is a handy feegle to english dictionary at the back of the book).

Although this is the 4th in the series, and reading the first 3 (wee free men, a hat full of sky, Wintersmith) is a better way to read these books and will give you a better understanding, i don't think it's really neccisary to have read them all in order to read this one.

Highly recommened for all Pratchett and Fantasy fans (even if you don't think you'll like pratchett, I recommend you read this series, you may be surprised!)

Bring It on [DVD] [2000]
Bring It on [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Kirsten Dunst
Offered by MusicnMedia

4.0 out of 5 stars love it, 26 July 2011
This review is from: Bring It on [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
well, i'm not usually one for films like this, chick flick mixed with dance movie, but this film makes me smile. It's not a great film, it has an obvious storyline and is so predictable. And yet I still love it. It's fun and bubbly, has a good soundtrack and makes me want to dance!

If you are a fan of girly fun movies, this is a must see. It's been one of my favourite films to kick back and relax with for years. Easy going watching, good fun, and nothing too inappropriate.

I should also mention that i usually can't stand films with Kirsten Dunst in them, but for some reason, this film makes me ignore that, and just enjoy. So i suggest you do too.

UK Ring Sizer / Measure For Women Sizes A-Z
UK Ring Sizer / Measure For Women Sizes A-Z
Offered by eurosparkle

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 3 May 2011
a very small and simple little object! Small enough to carry around in your purse in case you need it when out shopping. Measures accurately.

It's also really useful to have around the house, especially if you want to buy rings online. Well worth the tiny amount of money!

Stone River Diamante Butterfly & Flowers Necklace in Silver tone with Crystal, Crystal AB & White Opaque Stones

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 3 May 2011
I bought this as a wee present to myself. It's a stunning necklace indeed!

In the picture, it looks like it's a shade of pale green, however in reality, it's more white and silvery.

The necklace decorations themselves are all very beautiful and look expensive. However, the chain seems a little cheap and light, hence the 4 star rating instead of 5 stars. It's very very beautiful and would make a stunning gift!

Pokemon Sneak Peak Tins (Black and White)
Pokemon Sneak Peak Tins (Black and White)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little tin!, 18 Mar 2011
So this tin comes with 4 booster packs, a card of either tepig, snivy or oshawott, and a matching model of one of those 3 pokemon. At the moment, I only have the tepig tin, and it is just about the cutest pokemon model i've ever seen!

I've been a fan of pokemon for a long time now, so when the new games, Black and White came out, I preordered them, but I just had to get one of these too after seeing what the models looked like. Tepig now has pride of place on my desk, along with several other adorable pokemon models.

The model is only little, at about 1.5 inches high, but it's almost worth getting this tin just for the models, they are so cute!

You usually get at least one holographic (shiny) card in each booster pack, along with a variety of energies, trainer cards, and of course, pokemon.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2011 8:44 PM BST

Misfortune
Misfortune
by Wesley Stace

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best!, 26 Feb 2011
This review is from: Misfortune (Paperback)
Yes, this is one of the best books I have ever read! I usually don't find fiction that interesting, but this one drew me in instantly, because yes, I do judge books by their covers.

I've always been interested in the whole gender and sexuality divide, what makes people male or female, be it their physical organs or their mentality. This book is an interesting, emotional and beautiful insight into human nature. Usually I can see the subtext in a book, but don't really care for it, but here it was just as interesting as the story itself.

We follow Rose, who is raised as a girl, and is never told otherwise. She has no reason to believe otherwise, and has never seen another human naked. But as she hits puberty, and starts to develop a sexual interest in others, she soon realises that women shouldn't have a penis, and her discovery of her true gender as a male soon follows.

The way the Stace has written the character of Rose is just amazing. He hasn't made her all whiney and self pitying, or irritating in the slightest. If anything, Rose is one of the most realistic characters I have ever come across. Nothing comes easy for her. And when she realises that she is a man and not a woman, her reaction, although heartbreaking and utterly tragic, is so real! It's not emphasized or downplayed. It isn't stepped over as if it were something that you would easily take in your stride. It is dealt with perfectly. The way the character, as you know her, would deal with it, and to be honest, the way most people would deal with such a realisation.

The only disappointing bit was the last 100 pages, but that was only because it felt like the main story was finished and there was only a couple of loose ends to tie up, and it was the only bit I felt was a bit long. But yet, this didn't spoil it, because it came to such a wonderful conclusion, I couldn't help be love it.

***SPOILER!!!***
One thing that amazed me, and actually pleased me, more than anything else in this book, was the dealings of the character of Rose towards the end. She knows she is physically male, and has accepted this. But when she has her first real sexual encounter with a woman, she is repulsed by the idea of having sex with the girl as a man, but the moment she puts on her dress, she becomes a whole new person, confident and strong and vibrant. In the end, as you see on the front cover illustration, Rose wears lavish and beautiful dresses, but sports a fantastic moustache. The fact that Stace has not confined the character to be exclusively male or female, is by far one of the most daring and modern things I've seen an author do, especially in a book that has reached such a wide audience. I salute you, Stace!
***END SPOILER!!!***

So if you are looking for a highly enjoyable read, even without all the reading into it that I've done (partly brought on by a lecture I just had at Uni on gender, sexuality etc), this is worth every moment you take to read it! I know I will read it again and again, so exquisite a book it is! Please read without delay!

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)
A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)
by George R. R. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 23 Feb 2011
I love the fact that Martin doesn't try to make all his good characters inherently good, and his bad inherently bad. He gives them both little bits of everything, and makes them so human. Some of the characters however, are still so utterly evil you find yourself wondering what sort of mentality someone must have to be like that, especially Joffrey, who is evil and still rather young.

Since some of the characters that the story is told from changes in this book from the first book, it took a little while to get used to them again, but I still find this a really good way to tell a story as complex as this one. Martin brings each story together beautifully, and tells a remarkable tale.

A great book to add to an excellent series, and I look forward to reading the rest very soon!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20