Profile for J. H. Mccarthy > Reviews

Content by J. H. Mccarthy

J. H. Mccarthy "Rex Glevi" (Gloucester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Fox in the Attic
The Fox in the Attic
by Richard Arthur Warren Hughes
Price: 7.20

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a most curious book but one that is ..., 23 July 2014
This review is from: The Fox in the Attic (Paperback)
This is a most curious book but one that is totally fascinating and is educative. The only snag is that one or two items are left unfinished and lead you to ask - whatever happened there?

200 x Finite PF Nitrile Powder Free Disposable Gloves Size: XL (2 x BOXES OF 100) FN100
Offered by production consumables
Price: 19.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 July 2014
super quality and a very prompt service.

In Hazard
In Hazard
by Richard Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 July 2014
This review is from: In Hazard (Hardcover)
what a brilliant book. Check out also "Three Before Breakfast". The book quality was excellent.

Once Upon a Time: The Lives of Bob Dylan
Once Upon a Time: The Lives of Bob Dylan
Price: 3.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Verbose but nevertheless full of "Factoids", 29 Oct 2013
I really enjoyed this book although it is definitely for those who are into minutiae! It is also "poetically" verbose so if you are just after facts then this is not for you. It moves along quite slowly yet doesn't become boring. There are a lot of background filling details which although interesting in themselves do make the book much longer than it could otherwise have been. I think this is definitely for the "Bobcats" and not for the general reader...... Me? I'm a Bobcat. He made my youth in the 1960s so enjoyable: and "No"...I was not one of those who disliked "Electric Bob". As a Brit I loved everything that Bob did in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and so on.

Stealing Beauty
Stealing Beauty
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 13.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Diverse and enjoyable, 29 Oct 2013
This review is from: Stealing Beauty (Audio CD)
I found this while looking for one of the songs on this compilation and so decided to try out the full album. Well worth it. I think that almost every track has merit and as a diverse compilation cannot bore. It is not "Now that is......music" or "Hits 1996" type of album but is crafted to follow and give backdrop to a movie. I haven't seen the film but the album is a definite hit.

The SHE Series by H. Rider Haggard (Halcyon Classics)
The SHE Series by H. Rider Haggard (Halcyon Classics)
Price: 1.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Missed these first time round!, 10 Aug 2013
I have no idea quite how I missed these books/this author when I was a young lad but now at 62 years I have discovered them. Thanks to the suggestions sent by Amazon and based on my shopping these books were suggested to me....and boy am I please. I have spent many an evening since reading the works of this author and thoroughly enjoy the style. They are very dated and would not attract young readers (my sons and grandsons) but for us "oldies" they have a flavour which is very attractive and satisfying. I bought the series for my Kindle and it is excellent value - as are all the "compendiums" in these series. I think some would find the pace of the book somewhat slow and the rather long passages of prose rather tiresome. Also, there is a vocabulary which requires a chair side dictionary (the Kindle mainly but not always) as some words are now decidedly obsolete. Even so you will not be disappointed with this book and it will provide you with quite a few hours of decent entertainment. It is "Boys Own" type reading!

Grace and Mary
Grace and Mary
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits the spot - as always, 8 July 2013
This review is from: Grace and Mary (Kindle Edition)
It helps if you know the geography - which I do - as it is more poignant if you do. This story - yes story - is vivid and emotional and ends as one would expect but the prose is as always lovely and takes no effort to read. A two night read for me. I enjoy Melvyn Bragg's books - in small doses - and this is one of his best of recent times. It sits well with my age group - 60 to 65. Go buy and have a couple of nights enjoyment.

ANIMAL TRACKS - UPDATED AND EXPANDED: The Story of The Animals, Newcastle's Rising Sons
Price: 5.15

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy read and very informative, 8 July 2013
I loved this book. Whether it is 100% accurate is debatable and I'm sure that Alan Price would not find it comfortable reading! As a Newcastle lad (but at school in the West End rather than the East End) it was all very familiar. For me "House of the Rising Sun" was the song that was played over and over at The Spanish City in Whitley Bay - esp if you were on the Waltzer. The other songs of the 1960s are familiar to anyone who lived in the North East and it is undoubtedly true that they were the pop group equivalent of the Rolling Stones but failed in one major respect - they couldn't write new songs. Such a shame. Also such a shame that they broke up so soon after such success and according to this book mainly because Alan Price didn't like flying! Anyway, it is a great read and will only take a night or two to finish.

Common Words and the Wandering Star: A Biographical Study of Culture and Social Change in the Life and Work of Writer Jack Common (1903-1968)
by Keith Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely and well written book, 27 May 2013
I am fascinated by Jack Common and having lived in Heaton can equate with how he felt, how he thought and the contents of his novels. This book is well worth having to get a comprehensive background of his life and times.

Next of Kin
Next of Kin
by Stan Barstow

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent read, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: Next of Kin (Hardcover)
I love the books of Stan Barstow but it is such a shame that so many of them are difficult to find as new copies. Never mind, the second hand/used book market is kept alive by books such as this and what a joy they are. You could be tempted to think that some are written for male readers and some for female readers but I think the writer has written them in such a way that they are equally cherished and poignant for both genders. I have never lived in the areas that he writes about but his descriptive writing is such that one can easily picture the scene and the life style of his characters.

This book is part of a trilogy and therefore it is best to read them in order if you can.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3