Profile for J. H. Mccarthy > Reviews

Content by J. H. Mccarthy

J. H. Mccarthy "Rex Glevi" (Gloucester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy
by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this - I live in Gloucestershire so it was ..., 1 Dec 2014
This review is from: The Casual Vacancy (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this - I live in Gloucestershire so it was easy to fit the story into our locale. But even so it is a good tale.

Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine
Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine

5.0 out of 5 stars these are great mags., 1 Dec 2014
these are great mags......but be ready to accept ups and downs in story quality. Overall good stuff and if you hit a slow/uninteresting story just move on to the next.

The Hired Man (Tallentire Trilogy 1)
The Hired Man (Tallentire Trilogy 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars is an easy read and is satisfying, 1 Dec 2014
As with all Melvyn Bragg books - it sits in the comfort zone, is an easy read and is satisfying. A good read to have between deeper books.

London Review of Books
London Review of Books

3.0 out of 5 stars I bought this to have a look. It's just ..., 1 Dec 2014
I bought this to have a look. It's just OK but not really my cup of tea. I won't be buying another - sorry!

Black Wind Howlin'
Black Wind Howlin'

5.0 out of 5 stars O boy - this is a great album. Buy it - you won't be disappointed, 1 Dec 2014
This review is from: Black Wind Howlin' (Audio CD)
O boy - this is a great album. Buy it - you won't be disappointed. SF is as good as ever - in fact even better.

Sekonda Men's Quartz Watch with Silver Dial Analogue Display and Blue Leather Strap 3504.27

5.0 out of 5 stars It looks good and works well and is now my favourite, 1 Dec 2014
I bought this as a backup for my other (rather more expensive) watches; an everyday watch - and in fact it is superb. It looks good and works well and is now my favourite! This is a great watch.

The Fox in the Attic
The Fox in the Attic
by Richard Arthur Warren Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a most curious book but one that is ..., 23 July 2014
This review is from: The Fox in the Attic (Paperback)
This is a most curious book but one that is totally fascinating and is educative. The only snag is that one or two items are left unfinished and lead you to ask - whatever happened there?

200 x Finite PF Nitrile Powder Free Disposable Gloves Size: XL (2 x BOXES OF 100) FN100
Offered by production consumables

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 July 2014
super quality and a very prompt service.

In Hazard
In Hazard
by Richard Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 July 2014
This review is from: In Hazard (Hardcover)
what a brilliant book. Check out also "Three Before Breakfast". The book quality was excellent.

Once Upon a Time: The Lives of Bob Dylan
Once Upon a Time: The Lives of Bob Dylan

4.0 out of 5 stars Verbose but nevertheless full of "Factoids", 29 Oct 2013
I really enjoyed this book although it is definitely for those who are into minutiae! It is also "poetically" verbose so if you are just after facts then this is not for you. It moves along quite slowly yet doesn't become boring. There are a lot of background filling details which although interesting in themselves do make the book much longer than it could otherwise have been. I think this is definitely for the "Bobcats" and not for the general reader...... Me? I'm a Bobcat. He made my youth in the 1960s so enjoyable: and "No"...I was not one of those who disliked "Electric Bob". As a Brit I loved everything that Bob did in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and so on.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4