Profile for Floyd > Reviews

Forever Faithless - The Greatest Hits
Forever Faithless - The Greatest Hits
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb1, 16 Aug. 2006
I 'm not uinto this genre of music, but my God this is a good album! I heard the chorus of 'Insomnia' on the advert for this album, and bam! I had to buy it. It remains to be one of my favourite songs.

The reason that Faithless have such an appeal to me is that they have a far broader range of influences - 'Bring My Family Back' cannot be danced to. The lyrics to songs such as 'Mass Destruction' and 'Reverence' really make you sit down and think about the world in which we live.

I could go on, but I won't. Just buy it. It's bound to have a couple of tracks that you like.

Atom Heart Mother
Atom Heart Mother
Offered by the_record_factory

4.0 out of 5 stars Underrated, 12 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Atom Heart Mother (Audio CD)
When I first heard this album I wasn't particularly impressed - I wasn't listening very much. Most of Pink Floyd's material has the ability to really capture your attention (Comfortably Numb, for example.) But it's really grown on me since, especially Wright's Summer '68, which is a quality song. Atom Heart Mother (the song) is good but isn't on the level of other bloody long tracks such as Echoes and Shine On You Crazy Diamond. It receives unfair criticism (in my eyes, at least) but it was a very experimental period for the band, and they worked seperately on individual tracks.

Track two, If, is a good song but reminds me more of the Kinks than Pink Floyd - it's a nice little ballad, but hardly groundbreaking. Fat Old Sun is the crappest ever name for a song, but it's another nice little ballad. But just what on earth Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast is about is quite frankly beyond me. It's out of this world (not amazing, just bizarre taken to a new level.) A strange finale to an strange album

I would definitely recommend this album to anyone. It will have it's moments for most people, but I think all-round it is underrated, and certainly draws a lot of unfair critcism, not least from the band itself.

Ciao.

Dark Side of the Moon
Dark Side of the Moon
Offered by the_record_factory

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously majestic., 2 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Dark Side of the Moon (Audio CD)
Top quality album! Listening to it all the way through is very powerful, but the individual tracks are also superb. The stand-out tracks have to be, for me, `Breathe', `Time', `Money', `Us And Them' and `Brain Damage' (so half of the songs on there, then). But the overall quality of this album is remarkable - no wonder it was, and still is, so successful.

1a) Speak To Me - Good run-up to `Breathe.'

1b)Breathe - Wonderful both lyrically and musically.

2. On The Run - Not to everyone's liking, but I think it's fab!

3.Time - Incredible! And then the `Breathe' reprise comes in and...

4. The Great Gig In The Sky - My least favourite song on this album. That woman should be tried for crimes against Floyd.

5. Money - The greatest bass-riff ever, bar none. Plus, the lyrics are great and the solos (both saxophone and guitar) are immense.

6. Us And Them - Sounds in particular like an accompaniment to a psychedelic trip.

7. Any Colour You Like - Runs sooooo well into `Brain Damage.'

8. Brain Damage - A stand-out song by any album's standards.

9. Eclipse - The album's original title, and a fitting finale.

If you don't agree that this is a truly great album, then you are either an idiot, devoid of any soul or mentally when. Pick your category.

Buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it now!

Wish You Were Here
Wish You Were Here
Offered by MUSIC4SURE

5.0 out of 5 stars The Middle Masterpiece, 31 July 2006
This review is from: Wish You Were Here (Audio CD)
Amazing! I bought this album recently along withg a couple of other Floyd albums, but this one really stands out. It came in between Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall (hence the title), and I still don't have a bad word to say about it. All parts of Shine On You Crazy Diamond are majestic, Welcome To The Machine has a much more sinister ring to it, but is a crucial element of this album. Have A Cigar is very laid back, very cool, and, like Welcome To The Machine, it is a caracature of the negative aspects of the record business. Wish You Were Here is a great song but overshadowed by Shine On You Crazy Diamond. The latter part of that song is also awesome.

I'm going to start running out of superlatives soon, but if you've ever heard this album then you'll know why. It is a bit depressing at times ('Crazy Diamond' was Syd Barrett's nickname, and he watched them record it), but a lot of their stuff is about Barrett - this album is a tribute to him. Is it any coincidence that Dark Side... and The Wall are also about him?

Some of Pink Floyd's stuff won't appeal to certain audiences (The Final Cut, Atom Heart Mother), but you've got to like this album. I know I sound like a fascist, but it's true. This album is Floyd at their Godlike best.

Buy it! Buy it now!