Profile for Jeremy Prior > Reviews

Content by Jeremy Prior

Jeremy Prior "ganok56" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Zyliss Tin Opener with Lock
Zyliss Tin Opener with Lock

1.0 out of 5 stars The cutting is pathetic and it's strange that people giving it good reviews ..., 28 Jan. 2015
I can't agree with any of the positive reviews of this can opener. It doesn't do what the blurb suggests. The magnet doesn't go anywhere near the lid so it doesn't pick up the lid once the cut is complete. The cutting is pathetic and it's strange that people giving it good reviews have stated that sometimes the cut isn't complete and the magnet wont pick up the lid.
In addition the cutting wheel is badly exposed with no guard so it's quite easy to cut your finger on it if picking it out of washing up water. No instructions whatever with it. No indication as to whether it's dishwasher safe. Considering it's heritage is Swiss it's a total disgrace and I'd give it minus stars if I could. It's going back in returns and I'll look for something properly designed and fit for purpose. Waste of money.

Remington F3800 Dual Foil Shaver
Remington F3800 Dual Foil Shaver
Offered by EveryDay-Shop

3.0 out of 5 stars You can't get crispy bacon any more., 26 Jan. 2015
A pale shadow of the Remington 'microscreen' mains razor that I last had which was claimed to shave you as close as a blade or your money back. Remember Victor Kiam who was so impressed he bought the company? Well he's probably long since gone and the current wave of Remingtons don't shave nearly as close as the old mains ones did. No matter how advanced the battery recharge technology is, this razor shaves no closer than a rotary cutter and now when I want a proper close shave I revert to my Dad's old Braun mains eledtric that was almost as efficient as the Remington Microscreen. The old Remington got through rather too many screens and they were expensive but at least they worked for 20 years. Somehow I don't see this rechargeable one lasting 20 months let alone years. So I give it 3 stars because it works and currently holds its charge for daily shave for around 10 days so it's OK but like everything now, it's not made like they used to be. Quality went out the door with the death of British Industry!

Joseph Joseph Can Do Compact Can Opener
Joseph Joseph Can Do Compact Can Opener

1.0 out of 5 stars Over priced and over hyped. I can't even use it., 26 Jan. 2015
This can opener was a total disappointment. I was hoping it would be as easy and efficient as the good reviews here suggested but my experience trying it out directly I opened the packaging led me to give up completely on being able to use it. The turn button on top is at least 2cm shorter than on traditional and most other ordinary tin openers. There was insufficient leverage to turn it more than half a turn. Anyone with a slight weakness in the wrists or arthritic hands would find it as impossible as I did and my hands are not bad for my age.
I got my wife to continue the turning to open round the rim of a can of tuna and before I did that I gave it one more chance and I tried holding the opener with my right hand and using my stronger left hand to turn the button. Still no good.
I consider it a very poorly designed product putting form before function and someone has tried too hard to make it compact and as such the device has no efficiency whatever. I will consign it to the drawer where it will be used occasionally but not by me. For me it was a total waste of 14 quid. I'll go back to using my 30 year old tin opener as it works far more efficiently and nobody cares what it looks like if it does the job well and is easy to clean. Sorry but you don't get 5 stars from me - I'm reluctant to even give it one. It's awful.

Casio TQ140-1 Beep Alarm Clock, Black
Casio TQ140-1 Beep Alarm Clock, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Well fit for purpose and seems quite durable and strong., 18 July 2014
At last an analogue clock with luminous dial that is light weight, runs on one battery, keeps quartz accuracy time and is light enough to hang on the wall in a Caravan Motor-home or use it as a bedside alarm clock. Buying this has fit the bill for me and saved me a lot of unnecessary expense where Analogue wall clocks are all too big for my needs and too expensive. I intend sticking this on the wall in the Auto-sleeper (Campervan) so it will be easy to see the time in the dark.
It will also double as an egg timer if I site it nearby the cooking area.

So there we have it - looks durable, works properly. Not tested it at night but no reason to suppose the luminosity won't work. A nice purchase.

Easy Cook 2 Cup Microwave Egg Poacher, Clear
Easy Cook 2 Cup Microwave Egg Poacher, Clear

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the ideal solution to making a quick perfect poached egg., 18 July 2014
Thanks to all the other excellent positive reviews on this item I bought one and tested it this morning. My microwave is 900watts which is very powerful but I did what reviewers and the instructions recommend - one third fill both chambers with water - mwave on full for 60 seconds. Dropped just one egg into one of the indents. Microwaved full power 40 seconds. Tested it visually and it looked like it could use 10 seconds more. Did that. Result perfect - whites solid and no runny uncooked matter. Yolk was runny but not thin, just nicely runny thick which is the way I like it when boiled fried or poached. As I didn't need a poached egg at testing time, I popped the egg into a shallow pan of boiling water and cooked for one minute more to make it hard boiled and then used it for egg mayonnaise with pepper and chives.
So that saved time and energy being 2 minutes 50 seconds and no shell to peel when cold. Compare that with 10 minutes boiling a hard boiled egg and you can see how this is a really great little method. Instructions say you don't need to prick the yolks with a pin. So I didn't ! And no exploding egg pebble dashing the microwave innards either!
Full marks for this device.

1Byone Easy Chime Wireless Doorbell Door Chime Kit With Sound and LED Flash 36 Melodies Tunes To Choose - Black- 1 Year Warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly suited for purpose. A good value bit of kit., 18 July 2014
Very easy to set up. Unusually clear and easy instructions properly written at last! Super selection of tunes and volume set on lowest setting is perfect to avoid making people jump out of their skin when it fires up! I am not using it as a doorbell, but as a paging device to summon someone when upstairs and behind two closed doors and a staircase intervening. One quick push of the button downstairs that I have velcro'd to the doorframe so it's removable if needed and the button lights up so you know it's sent a signal.
Upstairs it's set to do a quiet Bach-like fugue that's not piercingly high pitch and alerts gently to the request to stop what the person is doing and come down to do something else. I call this "a time for sump fink else alarm" as that's what it is for. Saved shouting until hoarse up the stairs!
So great value; Excellent quality; Only time will tell how long a set of AA batteries and the Coin 2032 in the push button last.
Downsides only one:- Makers too mean to include two AA batteries. If Audio and TV remotes come with free batteries why not this item seems a bit scrooge.

E45 Emollient Bath Oil - 500 ml
E45 Emollient Bath Oil - 500 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for Money and Truly Effective, 13 July 2014
This works very well and has every bit as high quality as medically Prescribed Emollient. It also is less stringent and so is kinder to your eyes if you do get any of the water into your eyes during a bath. It's also superb value because the Prescription type also available over the counter is very expensive compared with this one.

Another thing I noticed is that other makes leave scum on the side of the bath on emptying the water whereas this E45 doesn't so I think it's probably a more efficient surfactant than other makes. For those who don't know what I'm talking about - a surfactant is something that changes the surface-tension of water so any soap sticking to the skin will be forced to roll off and leave no residue. The soap falls off literally like water off a duck's back. This is just the same function that you get from Hair Conditioner which knocks the soap foam flat and chases off all the residue shampoo. It's in effect a WD40 for the body! You keep your skin-pores free of residue that is an irritant or bad for excema and psoriasis. I will certainly buy this again at such a good price too.

HP Compaq 2510p - Microsoft Authorised Refurbisher Genuine Windows 7 Ultra Portable Laptop - Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz (2 x 1.2 Ultra Low Voltage CPU) 2GB RAM 80gb HDD DVD-RW - Includes Avira Antivirus + Cloud Back up + BRAND NEW BATTERY & POWER SUPPLY!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars All round good egg I'd say., 13 July 2014
Easy set up. Nicely refurbished. Worked well straight out of the box. Windows 7 is a big bonus being far more usable than the fussy muddled and hidden masses of functions we have to put up with on Windows 8.
I set this netbook up for my sister and it easily connected to the wifi both at my home and hers.

The display is good; The keyboard nicely laid out; The weight is a bit on the heavy side but still very portable.
There's another plus, it has a DVD drive built-in. Mouse pad works better than a full size other make which shall be nameless (Hello Tosh!) It holds its charge well. And the end user says it's fine and has not been back to me with any "issues" so I think this is as good as my own Desktop HP computer and will be an excellent replacement for my sister's previous Netbook. The HP is slightly bigger than a netbook so it's half way between that and a Notebook or Laptop.

This HP is quiet and no noisy fan. It does get a bit hot underneath and I have recommended using a little lap stand that can lift the hot underside off your lap to save getting sunburn on your legs!

It's a good un'
Well worth the money. Great that someone is selling something that hasn't got Windows 8 forced upon it!

4 Pack Heavy Duty 1 inch x 15 ft Ratchet Tie Down Straps
4 Pack Heavy Duty 1 inch x 15 ft Ratchet Tie Down Straps
Offered by Bargin Billies

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't find better for the price., 13 July 2014
These are superb quality and they work well. The straps are very strong and there's plenty of generous extra length so that they can be cut down to make the free end more manageable if they are only going to have one regular use to secure a load in the same place every time.

I use them to strap down a small motorcycle onto a bike trailer and they held their tension for hundreds of miles, never working loose. Easy to release and undo, and very easy to thread up and get tightening on the ratchet. Another bonus is they are not as heavy as other types I've tried, and that seems no disadvantage on strength because they have all the breaking strength they need to secure a very much heavier load that I'm using them for.

They're also good value comparing them with rival products. So I think this set is just great.

Bob And Ray Throw A Stereo Spectacular
Bob And Ray Throw A Stereo Spectacular

5.0 out of 5 stars A real Classic and wonderful to hear again 43 years on., 13 July 2014
This is a classic from the late 1960s issued in the UK when I was just getting into HiFi and the record companies were issuing far too many Stereo Demonstration records that had sound effects that were designed to amaze and stun!
I'm ashamed to say that I too bought Stereo gimmick records to amaze my friends with a new Stereo system even if it was then just a record player with two detachable speakers in the split-lid, with a stereo diamond cartridge to give higher fidelity than the old mono stuff.

On this spoof record we get such things as a Railway train passing through your living room so you could hear it from Left channel passing through the transparent middle between the speakers and so on out through the right speaker and fading away in the distance as if going out through your hallway!
Bob and Ray are/were a well known American double-act that were probably as popular in the States as Morecambe and Wise were here. On this recording we hear them sending-up something vaguely English Heritage such as an eccentric old Doctor inhabiting a spooky remote castle and acted out as if he is some recluse mad-man carrying out weird experiments.

The narration is deliberately kind of Lone Ranger "I'll explain as we ride Tonto" atmosphere with the pair over describing in a very funny way what was supposed to be happening during all the sound effects. When you listen closely, the effects are really very well done and exploited the new novel Stereo listening environment of the time very well.

The music on the Record is well chosen for it's gimmicky percussion-intensive delivery that shows off all the separation between instruments and effects. The Guckenheimer Sour Kraut band item is musically very funny and significantly horrible to a musically trained ear. It's almost in the manner of our wonderful disgusting noises from the Portsmouth Symphonia from that same era. The humour was very much given a catalyst by the new American comedy shows of the time, such as Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in which is where Goldie Hawn got famous. The human pendulum is quite bizarre and reminiscent of horror movies.

If you like American sarcastic humour with plenty of obvious good-hearted ridicule and not a lot of irony then this LP won't disappoint. A colleague of mine back in the early 1970s nearly had a seizure laughing at this and he and I were also great fans of Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau - another style of humour that we were often in danger of "passing out" doubled-up with laughter. This Bob and Ray record doesn't seem to 'date', except for the music which now there is no need for in the field of trying to sell people on the idea of Stereo. Back then, those not well versed in Hi Fi thought that Stereo just meant the same stuff but coming out of two holes instead of one! They were unaware of how even the humble Stereo LP record could simulate human ears and reproduce ambience, direction, depth and transparency to the sound they were hearing on two speakers.

So I give Bob and Ray A Stereo Spectacular 5 stars and one of those is for the good value as an MP3 download. Well done Amazon for bothering to have it converted to digial format. it's a real classic.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5