Profile for Mr. Michael Smith > Reviews

Content by Mr. Michael Smith

Mr. Michael Smith (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Letraset Promarker 12 Pen Set - Set 1 Bolder Colours + Blender Pen
Letraset Promarker 12 Pen Set - Set 1 Bolder Colours + Blender Pen
Offered by bargainartistshop
Price: 16.82

5.0 out of 5 stars They are NOT Toys, 11 Dec 2011
These are not your average Felt-Tip pens. The price might lead you to that conclusion anyway. They originated as - and still are - professional tools for Graphic Designers who were / are familiar with Letraset's Pantone (R) colours, which were the standard for Print. These are serious Artist's tools, (hence the 'Pro' in the name perhaps) and are manufactured with that in mind. So don't buy these if all you want to do is block-fill the inside of the black lines in a child's colouring book. The ink is specially formulated and the Blending Pen is a useful tool for avoiding having to purchase other Pens in intermediate spectrum colours. The Blending pen needs to be cleaned to eradicate unwanted colour that it will accumulate.

Letraset's original Pantone Markers (single tip) and their follow-up "TRIA" format (with 3 standard, ultra-fine and wedge tips) also had the option of using a specifically-designed Airbrush attachment. Although the Pens here look exactly like the Tria, I don't know if they are tooled to fit the Airbrush adaptor for the Tria range, but I'm sure I'll soon find out. The adaptor is one of my prized possessions. It may be long out of production, so might be worth quite a bit :-)

Durability: When used sparingly, for their intended purpose, they can last almost a lifetime. I have 3 original Pantone Markers which I've had since 1975 and even though I've used them sparingly they all work perfectly today. (2011)

Educational: They do offer more realistic and subtle colour options with which to work. If a 12 pen set - all grey - makes you scratch your head, then they will help in teaching a child to look at colours in real life and to use the pens to realise shadings, tones and such. You never know... you may have another Constable or Holbein in the making.

Highly recommended for serious Artists... and you may end up with something that can be signed, framed and displayed somewhere permanently, rather than being attached somewhat temporarily, by a magnet, to the Fridge door.

Chris Squire's Swiss Choir
Chris Squire's Swiss Choir
Offered by Mo's Music & Media
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Soft Xmas Music, 6 Dec 2011
If you're a YES Fan... don't expect anything "YES" - so if you aren't a Christmas fan... stay well clear.

Chris has come up with some nice arrangements of old and not overly-known Christmas Carols, with a Choir who are NOT Swiss at all. (It's just a play on words of course - and there's even a warning on the cover art/text insert)

I was introduced to "Past 3 O'Clock" with it's impossible notes to hit (for boys with breaking voices) and "Die Koeniger" ("3 Kings" from Persian Lands Afar)when I was still at school in 1972 I think. The latter is a lovely tune with an ethereal descant when sung in German as it is here.

A great selection to be honest, and if you enjoy Christmas (unlike me) it makes an ideal gift for someone who does.

As one might expect from Chris, it is a very classy production. I'd hate to call or rate it as background music, but sadly that's what Christmas music usually is.

Totally ignored - whilst eating or ripping paper to shreds. Otherwise, because it has a few quirks, it is good enough NOT to become elevator music (USA) or stuff you might hear at the Supermarket. In quieter moments - it's actually worth listening to - just for the musical presentation etc.

The winning track - of course - is the brilliant "Run With The Fox" which has the Chris Squire Trademark stamped all over it. I've owned that from a Yes compilation for many, many years, and have always loved it.

Christmas come just once a year... and a playing of this album... likewise.

Warmawear Deluxe Battery Heated Gloves - Medium / Large
Warmawear Deluxe Battery Heated Gloves - Medium / Large

3.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, 2 Dec 2011
Maybe a faulty pair... but after other reviews, I doubt it. I hate returning things, so I am reviewing the product I received... which I suspect would be the same as anyone else's.

These are NOT a cosy, toasty Central Heating System that you might expect.

When they arrived, one glove "burned out" a 9v Battery in less than 20 minutes and gave no indication WHATSOEVER (on either hand) that any REAL warmth was being generated. I experienced no sensation of warmth at all. On a later test with a thermometer I was proved correct - no increase in interior heat AT ALL.

Yes, they are bulky, but not overly so really - if you go skiing. Their bulk is their only defining quality to fight off the cold, but even THAT doesn't work for a Raymaud's sufferer such as myself. Next stop... WATCHDOG (for UK TV viewers)

As a severe Raynaud's sufferer, simply picking up cold Car keys in the morning can ignite the translucent and numb fingertips in an instant. Grasping a cold Steering Wheel (upon which, some pressure is required) only increases the effect.
Even wearing the Gloves (pre-warmed on my bedroom Radiator) and the cold from the keys, metal door handle and then the cold Steering Wheel in the frozen car permeated them so rapidly that not even their bulk had any effect whatsoever.

I haven't noticed even the slightest "trickle" of perceptible warmth from these things. They recommend "short bursts" to save the Battery, but I think it would take an entire day for them to have any effect - if they ever do at all. In winter, not even my Car warms up in the time it takes me to drive to the Office... and even with these bulky gloves switched on, I still arrive with numb, white and annoyingly painful fingers.

As for their ridiculous "On-Off TECHNOLOGY" sticker... what a joke...
IT'S A Simple SWITCH !! "Technology" that's been around since Edison saw the Light.

Absolute rubbish really... and 9v batteries are not 10 for a Penny.

Purchased in desperation... and then with serious regret... TAKE HEED.

Therefore, I would recommend Microwaveable Wheat Bags (MWB) for your pockets, or as a result of these Gloves' abject failure, my soon-to-be MWB gloves. Very bulky, but warm indeed. Easily made at home by the way.

3 Ships
3 Ships
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 11.81

5.0 out of 5 stars How it hits you !, 25 Nov 2011
This review is from: 3 Ships (Audio CD)
As a Jon (and Yes) fan, I bought this album (vinyl) when I saw it one Summer afternoon. I had forgotten that it was a Xmas album until I got it home. However, amidst the beautiful Yuletide offerings (e.g. the magnificent "Oh Holy Night") there are some songs, but mostly the music, that are season-less.

To my amusement & bemusement, my young Son was always moved to tears by "Save All Your Love" which I often played to calm him down.... to be a better child. Ha Ha.

Whether it is or is not "Gospel-like" makes no difference. "How It Hits You" (or Howie Titsu) is an everyday delight. It is an absolute classic. So much so, that even if the words have no meaning to you, (as is often the case with Jon) the music alone is of the powerful "Jon/Yes" kind that can make your heart burst, and can leave you dancing around the room !!!

This Album is like a Dog... not just for Christmas.... but for a lifetime. I haven't heard it in years... so I think I'll buy the CD.

BT Converse 2100 Corded Telephone - Black
BT Converse 2100 Corded Telephone - Black
Price: 21.50

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit outdated perhaps ?, 9 Nov 2011
I initially had problems with this, as I had to use a (previously functional) dual Call-Centre-type 1.5cm connector to my RJ11 Headset cord. The seller (liGo) called me when I sent an e-mail for "Return" instructions, and the call prompted the immediate order of a "straight" RJ11 Headset for testing - which proved to be essential. (Make note!)

Cut & Paste...
[...]

This coupling works perfectly and both products together are highly recommended. So I now have a new nice chunky handset (which I prefer) but for longer calls (e.g. to my Bank or Broker - when on hold) I have now regained the hands-free option, with clearer land-line sound and a fairly comfortable headset.

The Great Escape (Special Edition) [1963] [DVD]
The Great Escape (Special Edition) [1963] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve McQueen
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 6.03

4.0 out of 5 stars The Great Con, 22 Sep 2011
The DVD cover has a list of 9 "Special Features"...but there are only 2 on the Disc. Just a short documentary with Cast Members. No Booklet included, no Trivia Test, certainly not a REAL Virgil Hilts Documentary. I think this advertised as the revelations that McQueen played more than his own role and that a stunt double was involved for the more famous parts... including the plastic barbed wire.

Otherwise it is a decent wide-screen version - as is necessary I suppose.

Just search for the best price.

Silverline 282432 Suction Pad 35kg
Silverline 282432 Suction Pad 35kg
Price: 5.03

3.0 out of 5 stars It Sucks... but only 75% of the time !!, 17 Sep 2011
I bought 2 for only 1 strange purpose. To manipulate the electrically-operated driver-side window on my car without getting my fingers severed. The mechanism is kaput and the window will not close fully or correctly.

Upon arrival, I immediately tested one on a glass kitchen cutting board of some considerable weight. I pressed it down, squeezed the handles together and I lifted it with ease... the device that is... without even the slightest of an audible 'pop.' The glass board stayed on my table!! Then, with all the wisdom of youth, I remembered my old toy Bow & Arrows with those "sucker" tips -which wouldn't stick unless you WET them. So.. with a quick (possibly unhygienic) lick applied around pad edge I tried again...3-2-1 LIFT OFF... and the Board has cleared the Table !!!!

I tried it on the Car Window... a Postage stamp would have stuck, but these Pads refused to !

Do not count on them.

The House of Cards Trilogy [1990] [DVD]
The House of Cards Trilogy [1990] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian Richardson
Offered by joe4books
Price: 23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply - one of the Best !!, 8 Aug 2011
Positively riveting - and so good you'd almost think it was all really happening, or actually might JUST happen one day... and I found that to be rather disturbing.

A masterful performance by Ian Richardson (as always) with an excellent supporting cast of well-played characters in each of the three series. Throughout it's difficult to HATE Urqhuart really, but in equal measures it is far too simple and natural to loathe him... deeply ! The scenes at the end of the second series in particular made my blood simmer a little.

Made in 1990, but seeing it all for the first time some 21 years later, the story bites closer to home these days than it might have done when first aired.

Last Tango In Paris [DVD] [1972] [1973]
Last Tango In Paris [DVD] [1972] [1973]
Dvd ~ Marlon Brando
Price: 4.96

2.0 out of 5 stars It's strictly PG13, 12 July 2011
Because it was cheap and because it was a major film long ago (that I never saw) I decided to see what all the fuss had been about. Having now seen it, I am STILL left wondering what the fuss was about... and have immediately confined my copy to the nearest recycling centre.

I found it an awful movie to watch. Disjointed to say the least and the swapping back and forth from non-classic and undecipherable French dialogue (thankfully with subtitles) to English was head-shaking.

I've never been enamoured with Brando. He displays fine acting qualities of course, but I find his diction to be an irritant. It comes even more to the fore in this visually dark and rather unflowing tale as he mumbles, almost incoherently, his way through stuttering dialogue. It would have been so much better had Richard Burton done it instead.

As for the sex qualities that were rampant in reports / reviews when it was in all the Cinemas... well... perhaps I'm old now but I don't think it would have done anything for me if I had seen it back then. It's lame !!

Switched On Bach 2000
Switched On Bach 2000
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 24.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Carlos = Perfection, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: Switched On Bach 2000 (Audio CD)
Electronic Classical Music ??? Gasp... Shock... Horror... was how Walter Carlos' original Switched-On journey was heralded in some quarters, but was hailed in awe-struck delight in many others. That includes ME. I'd loved Bach's works from a strangely early age... and regular Orchestral recordings were blow out of the proverbial organ-pipes by the original release of S-OB. Much of the first was, as I recall, done in "one-note-at-a-time" mode and patched together on a tape recorder but you'd never know it- a quite extraordinary feat.

A re-recording with newer instruments and better technology and technique offers more nuances, perfected timbres, and in the production, a wholly more incredible listening experience.

Wendy has produced some stunning "personal" musical creations over the years and I still glaze over - somewhat teary-eyed - at the magnificence of Timesteps and Country Lane (original Clockwork Orange score) and Pompous Circumstances (from "By Request") But the Scherzo from Beethoven's 5th and Rossini's "The Thieving Magpie" (La Gazza Ladra) - again from the Clockwork score - are far better than any of the versions the World's best Orchestras could ever offer.

The late Robert Moog's Synthesizer was not just a toy, with which to make weird noises. Wendy helped to develop it... and pretty-much defined what electronic music really was.

This recording - or any of Wendy's "classical" catalogue are well worth adding to YOUR collection... and leaving them to one's you may one day have to leave behind.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4